Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History (and Build) of Just Steve's 1932 Ford Three Window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Nov 26, 2013.

1. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

What is the cast finish? Natural or coated/painted. Thanks, Paul.

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

It Eastwood cast iron powder coat. It's pretty close to a real cast iron finish.

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thank, I appreciate the feedback.

5. Cool build! Wish I was doing chassis stuff.

6. Looking great and I really like the cast finish on the parts.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

One minor set back on the motor. The box of main bearings had one pair that was a little wider, and the retention tang was just a little wider. Falcon has a new pair on the way. Once it Shows the motor can be buttoned up.
    Here's the complete side ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406252880.628342.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

That sure is looking good! Great job.

9. Roadsir

Roadsir

I spent yesterday planning the brake and fuel routing and making a list of fittings and lengths. I am going to use nicopp line, it should be easy to work with.

I also welded up a couple small pin holes in the oilpan and primed it

Today I got tired of looking at the seat so I blasted primed and painted the base and made new sides and a cushion bottom. I must have pulled 500 tacks. But I did find a 1925 wheat back lucky penny

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406505390.723556.jpg

bluestang67 likes this.
  10. Eric, don't know how I missed this thread but after you posted on my roadster build thread I opened the link to your build/story. First I must say sorry for the loss of your brother, but I am really glad the car is staying in the family, it's a great read with all the history of this remarkable coupe and you are doing a great job of preserving this old survivor.
    I am really glad you are not painting the body, plus the work you are doing is top notch, keep it up subscribed.

11. Cusco

Cusco
    from Europe

12. Eric,
    Just wanted to thank you for making me the seat patterns. I am going to bring my 3 window home this afternoon so I can have it at my shop when the Rolling Bones boys stop by on the way to Bonneville. Still have a lot of metal work to do from the belt line up.
    Keep the photos coming on yours

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks, I appreciate it!
    Thanks for the thoughts, and thanks for the comments
    Thanks!
    383deuce, I had to google your town, if it was little closer I would think about delivering the patterns and see some Hot Rods...PM your address so I can send the patterns out.

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

Motor is done, and I am really pleased with the work and attention to detail.
    Here are a few pictures
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406994801.404642.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406994820.238673.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406994834.373259.jpg

15. Very cool. I take it the wait was worth it?

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yes, worth the wait and the reality is it wasn't holding me up. Timing is about right as most everything is ready to go together, and this will mean less time on the stand / in storage.

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Sunday I had a goal of getting the OEM style Mac's shackle bushing pressed in place into the 36 bones. One of these already wasted several hours of my time when I drove one in with a socket and mushroomed 3/4 of the way in.... did some research on the FordBarn and found some good info, and pictures of some fixtures used. So I stopped at the farm store and bought a 1" dia. fine threaded pin with nuts to make and made a cage fixture to drive the bushing in. In addition I made sure the bore was clean, polished the stud, lube it....tool was working good, until it went just past 3/4 again and started to mushroom again....So after this bushing sufficiently kicked my ass getting it in, and then out (twice) I am conceding and ordering a set of regular aftermarket shackles.
    After this I decided I needed some mindless work so I broke down the spindles and F100 front brakes to get them ready for bushings and races, and finished up by making a set of seat patterns for 383Deuce. It's all good!

18. Mart

Mart

Yeah, been there, done that. those bushings are a swine.

Great work on the build.

Mart.

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

man what a great looking car.. keep it coming!

20. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I had the exact same thing happen when trying to put them in my '36 bones and springs. I think alot of it has to do with the cheap Mac's bushing. The shell is thinner than the OEM Ford so it just smashes. I gave up too and went with nylon bushings. I did use some older nutted on both end shackles though so it kinda looks closer to original.

21. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I have to ask about thoes front shock brackets. They look like '50s dodge truck units, but appear to be longer than the ones I have. Have they been modified?

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Mart, is that the queens English? I've never heard swine used in that form....but you are right! Thanks!
    Hotrodderhaag, thanks.
    Corn Fed, Zackly..I should compare the thickness from old to new on the bushings. The original Ford had some form of oil soaked fiber, MAC's appear to have rubber insert molded to the stud, I think they install the sleeves last and then swage the ends...Would be great if they would consider a little redesign. For $3 each I would gladly pay more for ones that pressed easier.
    Dak Rat - Good Eye. Those are Dodge Truck. Stock length. I put the ~45D bend in to move them outboard, and I welded a short section of F1 bottom to get a third pickup point. Just to be a little different.

23. This is a great post, your fabrication skills are impressive, not to mention the organization to keep it all together so it makes sense to someone reading this post. Great Job & awesome car!!!!!!
    Thanks
    Millrat

24. Received the seat patterns you made for me....and they are outstanding patterns if I do say so. Can't thank you enough for taking the time to do this for me........Hope I can help you some day. I will send you a photo of the seat when I get it built.

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

Took a little brake from the car and went on vacation. Yesterday I went back to Lake City Rod and Custom in Watertown SD. To pick up the banjo rear. The 4:11 was beyond re using so Randy swapped in a set of 3:78's. He also installed the Hot Rod Works open drive.
    I'll post up some pics tomorrow. I hope to get it primed and painted, but it's tropical here in Minnesota at the moment.

Today I really didn't have a game plan , I did manage to get the steering gear re-assembled, adjusted, and lubed with corn head grease. It's an "0" grease. Box feels great and the lube isn't offensive smelling like gear lube

More to come
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408839996.168372.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408840013.202252.jpg

26. TomH

TomH

I just got off the phone with Randy. Will you be at the rod run in a couple of weeks?

27. Roadsir

Roadsir

Millrat, Thanks for the post, stay tuned!
    Dennis, I hope they work out nice. Let me know if you need anything else.
    Tom, I hope to be there with the Roadster, and next year with the three window.......Randy's one hell of a nice guy and quite talented. I left him some pictures and negatives from the Rodders Digest shoot in '94? when Steve and I went up there. I thought he would get a kick out of it.

28. TomH

TomH

Will be there with ours, see you then.

Attached Files:

29. Very cool gesture, I still have that issue.

30. TomH

TomH

When I responded to your post last night I had just come in from my shop. When I cleaned up for bed only then did realize I was wearing an old Rodder’s Digest T-shirt. It was a 15 year anniversary (1981-1996). I had to look back at my dash plaques, and I think it was the NSRA mini-nats in Omaha NB 1996 that I bought the shirt from Steve. Rodders Digest had a booth set up and he was running it. He was reading a magazine when I walked up (I believe it was Street Rodder). Steve said you have to see what the competition is up too. Ha ha