Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hidden Antenna

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WDobos, Jun 9, 2016.

1. WDobos

WDobos

I want to use a hidden antenna on my hot rod. What's the best one out there? Please spare me your bullshit answers about you don't have a radio in your car because it's not how they did it 100 years ago. I should have added that I'm looking for an electronic 12 Volt type.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is mounted to an "L" bracket on the frame under the passenger door. Near the end it goes thru a zip tie the kind with a 1/8-3/16" hole for a screw. The hole I make with the zip is about 1" to keep the antenna from bouncing into the frame. Same as I did in 1961 but easier with a zip tie..

3. How well does that work? I have the same dilemma, I've looked at the 'hidden' units that stick to a window but they don't have very good reviews, basically if you live 'out' from the station(s) reception is poor.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is a standard 3 section chrome antenna. Radio looks stock but has been retro fitted for AM/FM and additional plug ins. Works perfect. I tried to mount it crossways under the dash but got poor reception. I finally remember what I did back in HS when I was removing everything I could for the clean look. My first one was under the running board. Then my 50's cars were on the outside of the frame rail parallel to the passenger door just like 56 in my avatar. Good luck

5. 41 C28

41 C28

I have the antenna mounted vertically behind the seat in my roadster. Its out of sight but I can extend it up to about head high. Works good.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have a similar setup to jumpy six. Mine is under a glass running board and only works real good on FM, marginal on AM. It is mounted to the RB mounts in rubber.

7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

my radio is above the windshield . i taped the antenna to the under side of the roof with ac duct tape then put the headliner in . picks up real good

WDobos likes this.
  8. image.jpeg Here,s mine-it's just a few yards of insulated wire connected to the inner wire of the co-axial antenna lead. The outer braid is earthed to the frame.
    I have the wire looped around the front bumper mount brackets.
    Good and cheap. Just like me.

9. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

After reading that some guys put them under the running board, I did the same. My reception isn't very good though.