Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willymakeit, Oct 9, 2009.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

I will be chasing a lead on a motor tomorrow. Based on discrip. I suspect this is a 426 Hemi. I am not a engine builder. My question is are there spefics with these motors that I need to look at to avoid buying a peice of junk ? I did a search but could'nt find any answers. Thanks in advance. We will see what I find out tomorrow.

2. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

426 hemi? No specifics that you need to look for. Just like buying any other motor, visual inspection of the cylinder walls, but other than that you would have to have it sonic checked and magnafluxed. What is it about the description that makes you suspect a 426? If you decide to pass on it, I'll definitley take it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Usually these kinda "hemi's" are just 318 Poly motors ;)
    Good luck though.

4. If it IS a Hemi, the 426 will have the distributor in front, and the early (50's) Hemi will have the distributor in the bacK...

5. 440shawn

440shawn

Good luck on the Hemi, keep us posted on what ya find. Shawn

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

The motor was '' supposedly'' in a charger. I have started investigating rumors after passing on some I wish I had'nt. Wish me luck. Thanks everyone.

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

It wasnt a wild goose chase. Is a Hemi. Unfortunaley it was a 241 Red Ram. I may still try to buy it. Its clean and all there. The numbers and the car it came out of check to 1954.

8. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

A Red Ram is still pretty cool., can't beat the wow factor of any hemi. Good luck on it.

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks. I got home and my future son in law knows where a 331 is cheap. May end up Hemi poor. Oh well there are worse things.

10. 73RR

73RR

...it is a disease, an often terminal disease....:eek:

Remember, man cannot live with only one Hemi, there must be multiple engines in order to keep them contented and out of mischief...:D

11. 440shawn

440shawn

Thanks for the follow up on the Hemi sound like a good deal.