Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech: Oil systems- filters, pumps, pans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 28, 2006.

1. George

George

The '57 341 used the 392 O/P, the '56 used a different number pump. So..if you have a '57 use the new Melling. The HH int shafts vary depending on what O/P you use & what Dizzy. You have to know before ordering. Don't know what the difference is on the '56 so I'll stop here.

2. 73RR

73RR

I'll respond and not make any guesses.....since you are questioning the use of the hh parts then why not ask them?

3. 56rbtruck

56rbtruck

I have an S26 block, should be a 1957 341. So you are saying M50 pump would work? I have the intermediate shaft from HH for their 340 conversion. I’m supposing that I should use the stock shaft with the special Crane gear for billet roller cam to make the M50 pump work? I would need to use stock length distributor.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 56rbtruck

56rbtruck

I did call and spoke with Bob yesterday. He told me that in 2012 he had 5000 of the 340 HV conversions out. He assured me his conversion properly installed was the only way he would build an early Hemi.
    He said the M50 would work and does sell them. But he still felt the 340 HV conversion was his preferred way. He said the 340 HV was worth 10% over original pumps.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. George

George

Yes, there is 2 pumps listed for the 392, they are also listed as used on the '57 Desoto, late '55-57 Dodge car , and 57-59 Dodge 315 & 354 trucks. Thec Melling M-50 is a copy of one of the two. If you use the Melling pump & OEM dizzy the OEM shaft & billet cam gear should be exactly right.

56rbtruck and Dog_Patch like this.
  6. George

George

The usual est. is in the 3-5% range vs brand new OEM. One of the Engine Masters hemis used a std. volume 340 pump so you would have more than enough flow with either.

56rbtruck likes this.
  7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

One of the important things to check with any pump. Make sure it lines up correctly and turns freely without bind. Also make sure the dist. goes deep enough to keep the int. gear from lifting up and disconnecting from pump.

56rbtruck and Dog_Patch like this.
  8. George

George

The inner oil galley plug is a 3/8-18 NPT thread. Dorman makes them with a 5/16 Allen hole instead of the square hole.

9. INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  10. oj

oj

I just finished using the HH kit for the 354 Hemi based on the Melling M-72HV pump and it takes a little more effort to install, they should have provided an Allen socket bolt and -AN washer to replace the original bolt in the rear main cap.
    I don't have pics of the interference with the hex bolt but you will be able to see what I'm talking about. When you get the pump they stress the importance of fitting the 'collar' to the block. The first picture is the collar being removed from the pump:
    002 (3).JPG
    I mocked the pump up with the collar and measured the distance and then shortened the collar where is slides into the block. The next pic shows the hole the 'collar' fits into, the allen bolt I spoke of is right there too.
    003 (3).JPG
    I had to trim about .120 off the bottom of the collar and then stuck it down into the hole:
    004.JPG
    Then you install the pump onto their adapter while guiding it thru the 'collar' and tap it into place while drawing it down on the mounting bolts:
    005 (2).JPG
    And there it is, all bolted up. You can see how tight it is to the allen head, I used an -AN washer and had to grind a good bit of it away.

11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I believe a lot of the problems with the adaptation of the Melling pump is shown above. This is not just throw it together without careful fitting.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  12. George

George

The "collar" is a locating dowel to keep the pump from wandering.

13. 73RR

73RR

...just install a new Melling M50 and not worry about it.....

George likes this.