Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Headliner where one never was?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Apr 1, 2014.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Sorry, if I'm getting a bit lazy here, but I tried doing searches for some sort of headliner/windlace retainer, but cannot find anyone selling them.
    Project is: putting a cloth headliner, and windlacing in my F1 pickup. They didn't come with this type and since it's chopped, I don't want to just throw the old cardboard type back into it, and I'd like some windlace to help cut down on drafts.
    So my plan was to make some bows, get a premade headliner, or have one sewn up, but I am not sure how to attach it to around the doors and such, since there was never any trim, tacking strip channel, or anything. My idea was to screw on windlace, using steel strips, the kind with the teeth in them, so that you later, you can tuck the headliner in between the windlace and the metal, and have it stay in position. Glues never seem to last long for me in interiors, even the 3M #77 stuff. I'd rather have a good "mechanical" means to hold the edges.
    I tried just gluing Dynamat and then material on top of it, only to come flopping off the first time I drove it. That's als why I'd like windlace as well, to keep wind form blowing down the headliner.
    I thought someone might sell these strips as a universal trim/headliner retainer, but no luck in finding it so far.
    Anyone have any other good ideas to finish off the details of doing a headliner conversion like this???
    Pictures or diagrams might help!
    Thanks!
    Yeah, I really need to do this myself, as most of the local upholstery shops seem not to have much imagination, or fabrication skills. I could go 60-70 miles to go to a shop that can do it, but they are kinda pricey, take their time, and I don't want to drag the project up there, and then wait for months, for it to get done.

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

You have the correct ideas. I don't believe you will find a presewn headliner that would work if you make your bows . as the spacing and arch wont be the same. I have done this type of thing many ways . You can use 3/8 wood screwed to roof sides staple windlace then headliner and use hidem. Run 18 ga. thru a flagger then shrink and stretch to fit opening, glue the windlace on [just hold it] .Then screw the flange where it goes. now tuck the headliner in to finish the edges. There is a toothed edgeing for furniture available but it is somewhat hard to make work. I only use weldwood contact spray gade in a gun , or brush grade and have never had anything turn loose. i'll try to post some pics of a chev pu I did with the flange ,but using a piece of luan and pleats.

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      79.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      81 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How about a different idea. Make a headliner out of stiff cardboard and cover it with cloth the way they do the molded headliners on late model cars. You might even cut down a late model headliner and recover it.

To apply the cloth you need to glue on thin foam called landau padding, then glue on the cloth.

4. If you've talked to your local upholstery guys go back and ask your favorite to order you a gallon of K-Grip http://k-gripadhesives.com/(only available in gallons around here anyway). This stuff will keep your headliner stuck where you put it and won't stain the material. Get on Amazon and buy a spray gun http://www.amazon.com/K-Grip-Siphon...qid=1396366062&sr=8-3&keywords=spray+gun+glue and find or make your metal grip strips for the edges that need them. You may have to have someone handy with a sewing machine stitch the material but after the first one you'll be a pro, with everything you need for 10 more! And you know what pro's charge. Good luck, post pictures.

5. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

YES...jakesbackyard is exactly the way I thought I could do it. I was just thinking that having the "teeth" on the metal strips was necessary. I can easily make them like jake did.

7. I was thinking of the same thing on my '58 TF truck. Keeping my eye on this one.

8. Like 56premiere said use DAP HHR adhesive or equivalent (make sure they are rated for headliner and landau roofs, High Heat) http://www.yourautotrim.com/noname37.html. Most spray can glues dont work as well as the bulk. You can use a cheap spray gun. I get mine at harbor freight.
    Here is a great thread that covers a custom headliner, combine it with jakesbackyards thread and you will have an awesome headliner.

9. I would think that the cardboard used in late model cars must be impregnated with or coated with something to prevent the humidity from weakening it.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I think it is more of a molded plastic sheet. No reason it could not be cut down, glued or duct taped together, and covered with foam padding and cloth. It is common on older cars to take out the shell, scrape off the old foam, and recover it with new foam and cloth.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Most upholstery suppliers sell sheet material that is a plastic (or something similar) that can be easily cut with snips or heavy shears. It can be used for door panels or headliners and comes in big sheets if needed. I bought a 4'x8' sheet to do the headliner in my Suburban.

12. ^^^^^^^^ Good info.. One could probably also heat that carefully with a heat lamp & or heat gun and form it a bit also.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Can't use anything that is too flat, the headliner curves down in front, back and the sides, as well!
    Also, I can't seem to find the Weldwood product. Lots sell it on Ebay, and internet, but won't ship to NJ. Even an Email to the company didn't get any response to where to buy it, and the website's locator won't work for that product.
    Any ideas how to get some?
    I'd even buy a gallon, even though I only need a small amount, I'm sure I'll use it on another projects.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is hard to describe but I think you can imagine it. Inspired by Packard closed cars, the headliners were glued to formed boards on the sides above the doors and windows. They tacked on to body wood (you'd have to fab it up) over the top of the windlace that went on 1st. The tacks were hidden, and were actually finish brads. A very fine hole was made in the cloth and the brad was driven (gently) below the cloth so it became "invisible" to the eye. All said and done it gave the appearance of a coved plaster ceiling. If this inspires an idea I hope to see it once done. I have some photos from many years ago and if I can find em I'll try to scan and post. Anyone reading this would like it, but if a scan fails I'll try to dig up some archived info.

15. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Just saw this. All I use is K-Grip Plus. Have had no problems. I don't use adhesive on the sides that tuck under those strips I have made. Just saw one today in a 57 Chev PU I did 8 yrs ago and it still looks like new and all tucked in yet.

16. mj40's

mj40's

I use the 1/8" ABS plastic. Shape to fit around the upper doors and allow maybe 1 1/2" high. I drive 1/2" staples at an angle around the windlace edge. It can be screwed into place and the material tucked in to catch on the staples. For the windlace, I just pop rivet that in place first. Works for me and looks pro when done.

17. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

photo-6.JPG Massive thanks to Jake for his pics and info. Just finished installing my off-shoot head-liner (39 chev) into my 34 3 window, that I scored for didley squat. The tuck strips work brilliantly. Not perfect, but more than impressed at the outcome. Now for some real tuck/roll on the door cards to complete. Thanks for that.

bct likes this.
  18. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

19. bct

bct

I redid my headliner in the 51 dodge and there is plenty of trim with teeth , enough for two trucks. The bows had one end removable to feed it into the h/l loops. They could be made to any shape you want. Look for ajunker 4 door and start repurposing .?