Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight difference & preference: 32 vs. 33/34?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, May 2, 2006.

1. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Hi guys.

Are 1932 Ford headlights the same diameter as the 1933 and 1934 headlights?
    Will the later lights fit the stock 32 mounts? (Is that a 9/16" hole?)

The '32 lights are flatter, while the later lights have a deeper dish, right? Do the later lights look good on a 32 highboy?

Thanks,

Matt

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Check out a pair of 33-34 Commercial headlights. Painted buckets and a much narrower stainless rim, same diameter ar '32 I believe. :)

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

1933 and 1934 Headlight also differ ...
    The 34's are longer than the 33's

Sometimes you can buy stock 32 Stainless Steel headlights that have a few dents and scapes for cheap money ... and repair the buckets and then paint the buckets ... to get the commercial headlight " look " for less dough ...

4. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the 33's are longer. They are definitely more bulbous. Less of a point at the back end, and look more like half a watermelon than half a football.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

And the commercials are the shallowest of all, with a curve chosen to barely clear the reflector. The diameter difference between '32 and '33-4 is quite considerable. All the '33-4 ones use same ring and lens, I believe. If switching to '33-4 passenger, don't spend any money until you are sure they will clear your grill shell--I'm not at all sure they will.
    Another interesting shape choice is '36 rim and lens on a truck shell--this produces a nearly spherical light!

6. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I'm using 33-34 Ford commercial lights on my '32 tudor and they clear the stock grill just fine. I like the looks of the painted buckets and the shape better than the stock '32 lights.

7. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Biased opinion here, but 33-34 commercial lights down low and slightly forward of the grille give a sinister look, but again, it depends on the era you are shooting for. We were shooting for late 60's, early 70's hot rod, big Cad motor, mag-style wheels, big-n-little radials (gasp!), and louvers.

-Ryan

Attached Files:

8. tommy

tommy

[​IMG]
    32 commercials for comparison.

9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

32 car & 32-34 commerical take the same size lense they are held on different but will work. & i believe 33-34 lense is also the same ( im not home so i dont have any in front of me here) seems like maybe a different clip when mounting them? cant remember? alzheimers.

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I got 28-29 model a lights on my 32 and i used a set on my 34 i had. I love em and the look but thats just me. I got to more sets of buckets i got on egay while they were cheap. Heres a link if ya wanna look at it.
    http://home.comcast.net/~n8dc-8/hotrod0.html
    Dave