Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headers for 64 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64ONEOFF, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Does anyone know of a header, BESIDES THE TRI Y, that will fit between the shock tower in a 64 Fairlane... Thanks Jeff

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only option back in the '80s was JR Headers, only available from John Vermeersch's Total Performance, and those needed some gentle adjustments. Hooker now has a part number listed 6134 Super Comp.

3. Try Tubular Automotive, 248 Weymouth St.
    Rockland, Mass. 02370
    781 878 9875

They could make you a set of headers or sell you a kit to weld up your own.

powrshftr and droppedstepside like this.
  4. 63Compact

63Compact

I think Crites Auto Restorations list some as well

5. Assuming you want to run a small block Ford. On my 63 with a 302 I have a set that is like what someone would use for a late model truck. They have no name on them but I saw ones that were like them or very close in Summit. They sweep back and kinda up and bolt up like new cars do.
    On my 63 Falcon I have Hooker super Comps. Great fit and were easy to install but pricey !!!!

6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Hooker 6134, Sanderson FF6 ( Shorty's ) and Doug's . Also Crites offers a set

7. We (Doug's) only offer a Tri Y but it is a Long tube Tri Y and unless your going to turn over 5500 RPM regularly, this header will out perform most 4 tube headers. I run these on my 63 Falcon autocross car with a healthy small block and they pull really hard in the mid range. Plus they fit really well and tight.
    [​IMG]

8. ratrap1964

ratrap1964

Sanderson FF6 did not fit my 64, #6 primary hit the shock tower. My car has a 302 with stock mounts. I called Sanderson and asked them if they had every tried them on a Fairlane and they were not sure. After sending pictures there responce was that their FF3 headers would fit. I asked them if their website was incorrect showing FF6's to fit and they said it was.......great company huh.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  9. Noa

Noa

Any news on this topic? I am about to run into the same problem. All the headers seam to fit only Automatic, 3ontree is not supported (nothing on summit fits)?!A 3spd 64 Fairlane seems to be the worst car you could possibly have when it comes to headers XD.

10. Back in the day,,,Dearborn Steel Tube had them,,,they were Ford's back door,,,,,had a set on my Falcon.

11. Noa

Noa

What did you end up doing, did the FF3 fit alright?

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Seems like all of them hit the shock tower a little. I have heard that the Dougs Tri-Y's fit. I finally just cut my towers and used a Crites kit. Trimmed all the extra "ugly" material that the T-Bolts used and smoothed them out.

powrshftr likes this.
  13. I don't have a photo of what I did back in 1989 but I cut a clearance in mine. Then welded a piece that began life as a 2.5" pipe. Then the header went into the relief area. I thought it worked fine.

powrshftr likes this.
  14. ken1939

ken1939

Friend of mine has a 64 Falcon with a 302, Dougs headers fit nice, tight, but nice.

15. Noa

Noa

Crites won´t fit due to the "floor shift only" issue.

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Try FPA headers,but I think this is probably your golden opportunity to swap out the 3 on the tree for a Toploader 4-spd and a hurst shifter...

It's a silver lining if you look at it the right way:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Noa

Noa

Thanks for the input, but I guess a shift swop is out of reach at the moment ;)

Attached Files:

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think as a worst case scenario you could get a 3-spd floor shifter dirt cheap on here,do the conversion,then have your pick of headers that fit nice and work well.

Unless you're really sentimental about the column shift linkage,in which case I guess I would try 271hp K code exhaust manifolds and see if they clear?
    They are reproduced now too.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Noa

Noa

Yeah I kinda want to keep the column shift, I wrote an email to FPA . Wait and see...

20. Noa

Noa

FPA replied "No sir, we don't offer for the Fairlane ." XD

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I have one of these cars so this is not a drive by post.

The 62-65 little Fairlane was specifically designed for the Challenger V8 221-289 SBF engine. 302s share the same dimensions. Early on the SBF was called the Fairlane V8.
    Since this car was designed for this engine with the stock iron manifolds, most Headers will NOT fit. Most headers that fit the Falcon will not fit the Fairlane. Ironically the 6cyl Falcon actually has more room.
    Reds offers nothing.
    Dougs tri Y and Hookers 6134 must be made of Gold!
    Best bet...
    Stock cast iron ported....may be a little gain but you know for sure it fits.
    K-Code or similar iron manifolds...

If I knew of a good exhaust man, I would strongly consider custom made pipes based on this design or similar.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  22. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Hooker makes a comp header(cheaper street header) for 289/302 for Fairlanes only, not a Mustang/Falcon header, sort of a pain in the ass to change a few of the plugs but they fit good. #6134

loudbang likes this.
  23. Noa

Noa

There are indeed some people out there who make headers for a more or less appropriate price but to me it looks like that there are next to none made for 1964 with 3sp column. The overall block/shock tower clearance issue seems to be workable but the shift linkage breaks the deal.

I will order from Hamburg, Germany. A bit of adjusting to make headers fit is ok and even wanted (in a certain way) but in the case that I can´t make it work I am screwed. 6weeks to send them back in!!!

Do the cast iron hipos flow alright? Right now I am leaning towards them for being what seems to be a safe bet.

Speedyb do you know if they will fit 3spd column application?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  24. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

No column shift.

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I put headers in my 64 Fairlane because I swapped in a 351W, and the stock manifolds wouldn't fit. I used $10 swap meet rusty headers that looked like they were from a '60s Mustang. I had to cut off the rear two pipes on each side and remake them to clear the shock towers and linkages. It's pretty tight and a pain to remove/install them, but it can be done.

I also retained the column shift linkage. I did have to make one new shifter rod and change the other to one from an early Comet.

No shock tower modifications were made.

Noa likes this.
  26. Hotrod390

Hotrod390

I am currently working on a 64 fairlane that I put a 390 in did crites shock tower kit and motor mounts transmission etc. I odered a set of headers from them the third pipe back from the front on each side does not fit.it hits the big nut on the back side that hold the A arm on any ides??? maybe slide motor back more? grind nut down? Thank you

27. Erric Bresmon

Erric Bresmon

Well I just found the jerk that thought he was building a good set of headders for this thunderbolt was at best a stupid hack. He is from cranberry, pa. This clown thinks he is good? He needs to stick to accounting! The headders leak all over. There is maybe 6 sleaves he used to make the bends! Now I need a whole new set! Jerk. I think I need to go custom

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

How about some pictures of the bad headers?

29. Try FPA (Ford Powertrain Application).
    Not cheap but really high quality & outstanding fit

30. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

One of the best for a tight fit is the HEDMAN 88400 you can see them here in a '53 Ford with a 302 swap they are listed for early 60's M Butch's '53 swap.jpg ustangs.