Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight vs. Beverly for a throatless shear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, Jan 5, 2004.

1. mow too much

mow too much

I bought one of the made in china pos (sorry America I try to buy U.S when possible)........it works ok but wont last long becuse the quality is poor, I have looked and still do for a Beverly, but people don't get rid of QUALITY tools, if I used it more I would step to the plate and buy a Beverly, when I'm gone you can buy mine at a garage sale for 5-10 bucks

2. fireguy976

fireguy976
    from to

Im not here for "Bonus Points" for "noise hole"

And I wasnt trying to throw dirt at the Beverley name in any way, so maybe my comments should have specified more of buyer beware in general. I have not had the chance, or from what others have raved about a true Beverly, maybe I should say the privalege to use a Beverly shear.
    If it is still being forged/hammered out, built with the sweat and experience of the family tradition, then I commend them in every way possible.

As for proof, and the rules? ya right, do you know how many off shore items have counterfit UL/ULC/CSA hologram tags on them??? In my job I get notification of the new crap on a weekly basis, and some times loss of property and lives can result from use of these items. And you think customs give a rats ass about that?

If you actually think rules keep us all safe from the bad people then you are living a marshmellow world with the tooth fairy and the easter bunny.

I do very much prefer the name brands and have many of them.....

Bridgeport, Miller X2, Powermatic, Standard Modern lathe (Canadian Made) and thats only a couple. These are all models from the days of made in N/A meant something.

I have a bike lift, had a made in USA sticker on it, junk, after some research, found out parts are from off shore and assembled here. But I didnt have the $5000 for the true "grey" one. Did I get what I paid for?
    Absolutely, I got a copy cat off shore item assembled here with a sticker for 20% of the price. The sticker sure as hell isnt on it any more. Was the sticker 100% legal? Who knows? Am I going to jump up and down and yell lawsuit? Yes right after I get a million from McD's for selling me coffee thats too hot, and from Ford when they didnt tell me that I had to keep my hands on the wheel when cruise control is on.

So maybe there are rules as to how much content must come from the country of assembly before it can have a legit made in (insert appropriate country here) label on it. But do you get a break down of items and where they are from when you buy it? Ive never seen one.
    Somehow I dont thing the pulley off that Dake hammer (see origonal posting) was forged in N/A. Ive seen better pulley in H/F. But if it is that one critical component that stops the item from working, do you really give a shit if the other 99, 98, 97% of the pieces inside are legit?

The beloved Harley is not all 100% parts made in the USA. and several of the "Japanese" brands of the past are now "made" here.

So, again, my appologies to any inflection onto the Beverly name.
    But the rest holds true, buyer beware, that made in (again insert appropriate country) sticker is NOT all its cracked up to be, compared to several years ago.

3. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

That I can agree with.

I have experienced much the same with (formerly) prominent US tool MFG's.

I apologize for jumping your case, when I posted that, it seemed like you were insinuating that Beverly is just putting a sticker on crappy import parts, which anyone who has used one can tell you is false.

But, it appears that I was off base on that score, so I apologize for jumping your case.

Sergeant82d likes this.
  4. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

No need for apologies guys. I too am frustrated with the crap that is out there that claims to be Made In USA. I buy patriotic stuff such as clothes, eagles, flags, military insignia etc. and it is almost impossible to find anything made in the USA. It sucks to see that even the things that look to be screaming USA!!!! and patriotism are made in China, Malaysia, Korea........

5. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

Hey guys, as an incentive to help those of you who have wanted a B-2 shear but just couldn't pull the trigger, I have given the go ahead for a $100.00 discount on B-2 shears only from now until October 9th. This is a once only now supplier discount offered to members of this forum only at this time. In order to qualify for the discount you MUST use the following tag......... Order to be processed under FREEDOM promotion.
    Beverly Shear Mfg.
    1-773-238-0003

Hope this will help some of you guys out.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn thats awesome of you to do that. I wish I had the funding.

7. patina steve

patina steve

Thanks for the discount just placed my order

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

For those of us who are not in the know....explain the differences on B-1,2,3.
    Thanks

9. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

Thats great Steve, you will get YEARS of use and enjoy your shear!!

10. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

B-1 shears are the smallest shear cutting capacity is 14 gauge mild and 18 gauge stainless steel
    B-2 shears are the middle size cutting capacity is 10 gauge mild and 14 gauge stainless steel
    B-3 shears are the largest shear cuting capacity is 3/16 inch mild to 10 gauge stainless steel
    We also have straight cutting slitting shears as well as pnuematic shears based on the B-3 frame for big jobs

11. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Very cool of you guys

12. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

BTT for a great co. !

13. skar44

skar44
    from nj

I have a b3 pnuematic and was wondering if you have a manual handle kit for it, sometimes its just to fast and what is the cost for a set of new blades for it .
    thanks scott

14. Do you ever do plant tours??

I would love to stop by and have a look at where the tools are made.

B2 is on my wish list, If I wasn't in the process of moving I'd be all over that discount offer.

15. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

Haven't done plant tours in years but if you would like to come in, the best day would be on Thursdays when my Dad would certainly be there. He will tell you more than you probably would ever want to know about the building and history of the products. Dad is 78 now and tends to go on and on but he still is dedicated to the shop.

Address is 3004 West 111th Street Cgicago, IL 60655
    Phone number to call ahead is 1-773-238-0003

16. lolife

lolife

Looks like there's a bar across the street and down a block ++ :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    Sergeant82d likes this.
  17. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

That is the building right there guys. Far in the background and to the left is the house my father grew up in (its got yellow siding now). And yes, there are many bars in the area many with the Irish theme, Rielly's Daughter, O'Rourkes and I think there is still a Callahan's Pub somewhere around there. This is the OLD part of Mt. Greenwood and the shop is the OLDEST building around. Years ago there was Beverly Shear Mfg.-----Mount Greenwood Bank-------Mount Greenwood Hardware and a few houses, thats all.

18. Mymechanic

Mymechanic

I ordered mine this morning. I got some very friendly service on the phone. I could just picture the smile and appreciation over the phone. Thank you. I look forward to getting rid of my HF crap. The lady I spoke with at Beverly had an interesting story how a bunch of Chinese people came and did a tour, gave every one working at Beverly an electric shaver, then shortly after they left, the HF clone came on the scene.

Darrin
    m2autoworks.com

19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Heard the same story about Speedy Bill, and shop tours.

20. lolife

lolife

A friend of mine had an electronic product that he wanted to have manufactured in Singapore. They required a prototype and a blank PC board. They called back a week later with an outrageous price, so he told them to forget it. Then about three months later an identical product appeared in the electronic hobbyist magazines.

Karma being what it is, the market was moving so fast that he already had abandoned that project and was on to the next big thing.

Lesson learned... He never did that again.

The only time I'd let a CHICOM into my shop, would be to give the dogs something to fight over...

21. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

Maybe we should ask for proof of citizenship or something......................
    Of course that would be politically incorrect though!
    Making money off of AMERICAN concepts has allowed many countries into the fray. China, Korea, Pakistan, Japan, India WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Careful, or someone will close a useful thread.... we have an older straight shear, are parts or rebuild available?

23. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

Sorry but it is frustrating.
    We have parts and a also do give estimates on rebuilding any shear we make.
    Contact info posted earlier in the thread.

24. lawman

lawman

Here is mine. Will pass it long to my Grandson and hope he passes it to his son. Had this 30 years and it still is a fine piece. TOM (Tired OlD MAN)

Attached Files:

25. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

26. jgraverholt

jgraverholt

Alas, I too can't afford the Beverly shear and have a job that really needs it. I need to cut almost 100pcs of .062 x .75 spring steel to make miniature leaf springs.

By the way, Beverly tool guy, which one of your shears would handle this? I'm wondering if any rental shops ever have your shears to rent?

Thanks,

Jim

27. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

i have an eastwood throatless shear that works great for $260.bought it 2 yrs ago

28. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

No rental shops that I am aware of, sorry. You may be able to get away with using a slitting shear like our SS-2 which is excellent for straight cuts and costs $180 less than a B-1. If you would like more info, call 773-238-0003.

29. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I was lucky enough to inherit a Beverly shear from my granddad. It was been in the family for about 35 years. Still sharp as ever.

30. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Just bought a B-3 about a month ago.

It's a dandy piece, that's for sure.

Big bastard too. lol

Worth every penny.