Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB HISTORIANS HELP -Finest Merc gathering around ~ 60th Anniversary of the 49 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. If this happens, I'll be there to see them!

2. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

How's the progress?

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EEGADS!!---60th anniversary -----ALREADY??????? Seems as it was only like last year when I was in hi school at Inglewood Hi, Inglewood,Ca. & the industrial Arts class I was in, made a field trip to the Pico/Rivera FORD assembly plant there in 1949, & we had the pleasure of seeing the NEW 49' MERCURY coming together on the assembly line. I think the MOST impressive thing I can recall was, the door alignment guy, his "tool" was a 2X4 36inches long, with a big bunch of rags taped to one end & thats how he "massaged" the door around to make a good (?) fit while they tightned up the door bolts/ screws!!!!---------------------Don

4. There is a nice '50 in the Don Garlits Museum.

5. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

.....Definitly Mercury Charlie's Nadine and Tom Kowalski's Merc.

And If nobodys gonna say it I will
    Bad Bob's Merc (its had a big impact on me), Bob maybe you could finish the interior for this show?

Axle what are the show dates??????

This will be the greatest event ever!!!!!!!!!:eek:

6. If this show happens, I'll fly out for it.

7. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Agreed Ant ! These two Dean sliced beautys would be a real enrichment...the '51 Merc from the Drag-N-Shop in the background of pic 1 wouldn't hurt either...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what about Paul Bragg's masterpiece ?

[​IMG]

That show is going to be terrific !

8. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

the king of mercs II. is that the candy red one with flake top? if it is it was on e-bay like a week or two up for auction. i think it was going for like 70 grand. i wish i would of saved the auction then you could of got hold of the new owner.

i think another merc that needs to be in this list is Paul Bragg's 51 maroon convert merc with Carson top. that has to be one of the most elegant looking mercs out there.

here's a pic of it
    http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_...ul_bragg/51_mercury_convertible/p2050213.html

9. Rikster

Rikster

Paul Bragg's 51 needs to be there. Once a Harry Bradley bradley design award winner.

[​IMG]

Fred Rowe Barris built Convertible Merc.
    [​IMG]

Ralph Testa Barris built Convertible Merc.
    [​IMG]

How about George Beluscsak's 1950 Mercury (it sure had a huge impact on me in the 80's)
    [​IMG]

The last chopped Merc by Dick Dean. Jeff Neppl 1950 Mercury
    [​IMG]

Lee Lucero 1951 Merc (also by Dick Dean)
    [​IMG]

SoCal built 51 Convertible Merc.
    [​IMG]

Terry Hegman 51 Mercury
    [​IMG]

Mercury Charley 1951 Merc
    [​IMG]

John D'Agostino's 1951 Merc. (Have not seen that one in many years, but this one sure had an impact on bringing customs back on te map in the 80's)
    [​IMG]

10. Rikster

Rikster

Think you are talking about this one The FrenZ... I think its a Bob Cota built and not Drag-N-Shop... Joe Bailon did the grile, and I think it now has Packard taillights.. had some photos.. cant find them... and yes its a perfect sample of how they where done in the 50's... think the owner has enough time to add some real paint :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Edit) Just found the new taillight photo

[​IMG]

Richard Zocchi Cool50...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  11. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Workin on it every day! Just got done fixin a bunch of rust on the inner fender well and hope to mold the passenger rear fender tomorrow. Im a little overwhelmed by all the shit that needs to be done but I'll make it happen!

12. Go Kevan Go..you can make it!

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Yes, Go Kevan go !

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Rikster, all of your pictures are like looking at a bucket of Jelly Beans. ya don't know which one to look at,which one to touch,which one to eat ! Damn, you're killing me!
    Anyone else on here feel the same way?

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Similar idea to the Deuce building, i think a bone stock restored 49-51 Merc should be in this display to show the general public how one of these cars looks like.

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Rikster, do you have a picture of the Ron Martinez 39 Merc ? I believe Scott Guildner built it?

17. Rikster

Rikster

Ofcoars, this one should be there as well. And yes Scott built it, or at least performed a lot of the body work.

[​IMG]

and how about this one...
    It was for sale at the LA roadstershow. And it went to a friend of a hamber... so if they dont start on the restoration it might be nice to put it in the exhibit like it is...

[​IMG]

18. I emailed the Phaerohs club and was told the original was destroyed(no details)and they built a Merc to tour with thats not accurate but built the way the liked.

19. I love this thread. I'll love it more when I can see these cars in person in Sacramento.

20. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks... I was not aware of that...

21. crossroads

crossroads

I think i've seen the Lee Lucero Merc in a movie, can't remember what it was called :(

22. Just puttin' these out there as ideas for this thread. I think the lowrider Merc was sent to the crusher but it sure would be cool to experiance it for myself in person. The blue and burgandy mercs come from Cypress autobody customised by the Drag N' Shop. Then Joe Figueroa's merc as previously mentioned.

Attached Files:

23. mikes51

mikes51

24. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks MIke, I really appreciate that.

25. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

I own the Westergard Merc and the Zocchi "Cool 50" I would be happy to have them appear. Let me know how to coordinate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The Charlie Lopez lowrider merc is alive and well in the mid west.It is dark maroon with the gullwing doors and all.They were added after the pics shown here when the car was on the cover of Classic and Custom in 81.As far as the American Graffiti merc,its restored to movie condition....edited...wow !That was a clone?

27. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Rodster, I love it when the word gets out and some of the owners get in touch with us, makes our job a little easier. You are in ! PM sent !

28. My car shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as these cars! I appreciate the nod,but being a HUGE,lifelong Merc fanatic,those cars are the TOP Mercs ever! I might drive mine up there to see them. That would be amazing...
    Mines a driver,not an ICON!

29. Nobody has mentioned any of Rick Dore's Mercs. Like that lavender one. Tony Stewart bought the orange one. What about the lime green one that was done by a HAMBer? Zombie?
    Garlits has the old "Green Flame",but it's maroon now.

30. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

The movie was called the Book of Love from the early 90's and it's really a great flick, funny as hell! Anyone who hasn't seen it, you can still buy it online for around $15. It's worth it!