Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Your moving right along and it looks GREAT!

2. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Got the carburation figured out. I always liked the Ramchargers "High & Mighty" Plymouth C/Altered (I think???) with it's outrageous intake and exhaust. I thought this setup would "ram it" to the hillside hemi.:D I might have made an error in my plenum volume calculations.:eek:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I like it.Ought to grab alot of clean fresh air.

4. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

It will be easy to find in the pits. The throttle linkage might be a little trickey

5. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Bob, it looks like it will take a gallon of gas just to fill the intake:D
    I guess running a tank is now out of the question?
    You ought to make the 1/4 and the return road on what is in the manifold, I say go for it!!:eek:

6. ThingyM

ThingyM

Bob.. I'm not telling you how to build your car, But you will need to put in some X or K members from your chassis to shoulder bar hoop. That they will check on, believe me. Don't want ya falling out the side, Just in case...

7. bobw

bobw

Dick, I have the tubing for the X or K members but have held off installing it until last, so it doesn't get in my way while I'm building. It is actually a bit larger in diameter than required. I'm following the rule book in the cage area as carefully as possible so I will be enthusiastically accepted by the Tech Inspectors.:D:D:D

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

:D:D:D indeed ...........

You know, that much ram effect might just blow the valves open even after you shut'er down, sort of a pneumatic dieseling ...... :p

Oh well, at least you won't sweat getting tire smoke sucked into the carb.

Still looking good, sir. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Not only will you get a boost from the velocity developed by the long tube, I believe you will get a benefit from the "gravity effect" of the long drop.:p

That is creativity at its finest.......makes my meager 9" runners look rather puny. If you don't watch out we will make you an honorary member of our west coast HAMBster Herd.:D

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Or ........

Aim the pipes for'd, hang a cat and a 'chute on it and reach through the eyes on your own exhaust.

Hey, no more ludicrous than the others :D, and quite a visual. :eek:

OK, I'll quit now ....... :eek:

11. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    After scrutinizing the rule book I realized that the one upright was too far forward from the front cage hoop. Another spec. called for it to be a no more than a certain distance behind the firewall. So, I had to add another upright just behind the front cage hoop. I made the diagonals and K brace from 1" dia. because that's what I had. It's larger than the requirement.

12. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Had to put more drop in the wishbone mount to get the caster at 10 degrees. Also built the drag link today.
    I sure am jealous of all you guys who are at the March Meet. If I ever get back some of my retirement savings lost in the stock market, I'm coming out there for it!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  13. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Exhaust Pipes!

14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Lookin' good Bob!!:D

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

16. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I took some front wheels off another car and proped the rear wheels in place (wrong rims) to get a sense of what this thing will look like. Got the gas tank, driveshaft hoop, master cut off switch, battery cables, seat belt mounts and tail light installed. Still lots of little tasks. I'll hit the boneyard tomorrow for a small radiator/electric fan assembly. I intend to lay the radiator flat. Anybody familiar with doing that? No problems? Soon it will have a posterboard body (patterns). I'm excited to see how it will look with "siding".
    Are you slant 6 guys running a small belt to run the water pump? Crank pulley to waterpump only.

17. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Bob, I'm running a small belt with a tensioner on it to the water pump. My son David is looking at running an electric motor to drive his water pump. Some of the guys "down under" are using this set up also.
    That thing is looking real good and you are making a lot of progress in little time, I'm impressed!!
    Robert

18. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi Bob. I run a radiator flat, the cap on the radiator is a higher pressure than the one at the top. I used the thin cardboard from the canned pop and hot glue that way if you cut it short you just add to it, it makes a colorful body mockup. Your car looks really good. I like that pipe organ to. It really balances the looks of that leaning motor.

19. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Got a Geo radiator and electric fan from the junkyard Sat. Tried laying it down but ended up installing it upright. I had a fiberglass "T" radiator shell in the rafters so I narrowed and shortened it. It's just Gorilla taped together right now. I went through the "Inspiration" thread and saw that many of the early rails had upright radiators, so I guess I'm sorta period correct in that area.;) I like Thingy M's idea of using a heater fan motor to drive the water pump, so I probably will copy him.:)

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I like the radiator shell myself:cool:

21. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

You "frontie" types always look good with a radiator. :cool:

23. bobw

bobw

We're all envious of you "Middie" types. I really liked the first generation of fuel sidewingers and I liked Kenny Ellis' 3 wheelers. I might have to build one of those next so I have someone to race against locally. If I do, expect many, many PM's.:D Hmmm, sidewinder...:cool:

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Like the cut down shell.......one of those things that will make folks ask "what's it from?"

25. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Posterboard body.

26. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    A semi-"Rocky Shot" from the front. It's off to the steel yard for a sheet of aluminum tomorrow, after my "old boy's" lunch.

27. 348chevy

348chevy

This is probably not a needed question but are you planning on putting helmet bars on your rollbar? Just to keep the old noggin inside the rollbars. I realize that you are far from finished just a thought to jog the memory.:)Roy

28. ThingyM

ThingyM

And question number two.. Did you find an electric motor to power your water pump ??..I looked all over the ones I have. No numbers of any kind. Just Motorcraft..

29. bobw

bobw

I've got the straight helmet bars cut and ready to install. Ran out of tubing. I don't have a 1" die for the JD2 bender to make the corner helmet bars so I to hope I get a good bend with a larger die. I didn't want to put the straight bars in first in case I don't get the curved bars in at the same elevation. It's easier to modify straight bars to match where the curved bars fit than visa versa.
    I haven't made it to the boneyard yet on my carb collecting mission. When I do I'll be looking at Ford heater motors too.
    I must say that after building a car a year for the last 12 years, this is the most fun project I have had. None of that street legal junk to worry about and a real sense of doing something I might have done when I was a teenager in the 50's, if I had had money, skill, self-discipline, etc. All the elements I was lacking then.
    When I was 15 and went to the strip in 1957 there was a "Bug" type rail called the Copper Creeper. It was about a 1948 Ford with the body removed, a hopped up flathead, a seat and cement blocks chained to the frame over the rear axle. Now, I'm building a refined Copper Creeper!

30. 348chevy

348chevy

Back in 1953 and 54 it was all the rage to take the body off an old Ford and put a seat on the frame with some wood for a floor board. You ran around and it would really accellerate really fast. after a few guys got thrown out going around corners and the cars went through a couple of houses they were outlawed.:DRoy