Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage H.A.M.B. Drags Thrash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

im double thrashing...im doing dragweek afew weeks after the hamb drags..so with all it takes to get the car ready, now i have to have it ready for a 1300 mile drive plus racing...

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

looks to be a great year, who is going to try and take Flamedabone's title as quickest car driven to the event.. my 9 second ride is not ready yet,,,

4. No pressure there :p

See you in August - you want to ride out there with me?

5. Sounds like pressure to me. I got an empty seat too. Not one of the 6 dogs wants to go!?

6. autobilly

autobilly

What a superb collection of quick and cool old iron to rock MoKan, gonna be killer!

7. Firefly

Firefly

WAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA not fair. We have been to the HAMB drags before and know how great it is.

Now you and Squeak are going and we won't be there. Thanks Kev - you know how to ruin a gal's day :p. Now where's the phone number of my travel agent .....

Kick Ass buddy and give Squeak a big old holler from me ;)

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Every year it seems to just get better.... I can't wait

I thought it was "you're a wuss if your drive isn't at least 1000 miles each way?"

9. I remember that "thrash" to get to the HAMB Drags...
    Tim and I were just talking that we should dig the BFD out of the barn and bring it out there for the 10 year anniversary.
    It hasn't ran down a drag strip in 5-6 years...
    We'll see.

[​IMG]

10. Buddha Doll

Buddha Doll

Anyone know if Steve Martin from Wentzville is running his newly built 56 gasser with extra large BBC for power?

11. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Looking forward to being at my 2nd H.A.M.B. Drags and capturing some more shots of you folk on the track!

12. Been putting a new short block together for the little honker, have a few updates to make in the next couple days. ITS TIME TO THRASH FOR MOKAN HEAD DOWN IN THE LIGHTS AND HANGIN OUT THE LAUNDRY

TH

13. I'll follow up. So last fall when we ran the honker, it decided to burn up the rod bearings and destroy the crankshaft. Part because it was an unbalanced engine, and part because the thrust on the crank was thrown off by the heavy spring pressure of the clutch, thus starving the essentials for oil and ka boom.

Gettin ready to push down the return road and up the track to make the last run of the day..
    [​IMG]

Anyways, we decided to have a full set of rods and a new crankshaft completely refurbished and balanced, as well as having the highdome pistons cut down to flat tops, for the sake of actually being able to run overdrive on the supercharger and maybe some nitro in the future.

[​IMG]

Pistons after being cut down,,,almost 2.5 to 3 points of compression lower.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

flattys in their new home

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  14. Also, i set out to build a new supercharger. Was using a STOCK gm case, with stock bearing plates. Found a complete unpolished 671, with heavy duty weiand bearing plates, cool.

Here it is, notice the Isky slider style idler bracket, and the isky block off plate.
    [​IMG]

Got a donovan blower drive that my grandparents got from ed pink with their first fuel engine for their don long car, It had the corner ear broke off, most likely from a backfiring supercharger. Gave it to a buddy to tig up, and i ended up machining it tonight

Heres the drive, almost identical to a cragar, but very early donovan.
    [​IMG]

Front of the blower without the front cover. Note the WEIAND endplates.
    [​IMG]

Had to tap the holes out on the front of the gear to use the spline drive adapter that bolts on to run the blower drive. Here it is mocked up

[​IMG]

And using the milling machine to carve out the weld gob into a flat..
    [​IMG]

Will be updating more, should be stouter than it was last year. Updates again soon.

TH

15. I have some tricks I use to save thrusts from expiring due to high clutch pressure or constant torque converter force. Had pretty good lck with them and they are minor done by hand mods.
    I bevel the parting line on the rear section of both bearing halfs and around the corner but notquite to the edge. It gives the thrust another two pressuized pockets of oil . Most thrust have four pockets already . By beveling the edge it allows some presurized oil from the centre groove . Basicaly when you get wear you need more lubrication. I only treat the back or rear part of the thrust bearings as the front doesnt get much strain anyway. Anyway it may or may not interest you but it works for me.
    Don