Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Guernsey boys model A coupe build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Guernsey boy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. linkstar69

linkstar69

Great work on the steering box, and every thing else for that matter

2. My keyboard has drool all over it!

3. Krazy Nice design and fab skills you got there man!

4. thanks everyone :)

not a huge amount to report, but i've started making a stainless steering column that bolts directly to the steering box. thanks to my mate Turk for the TIG job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    catdad49 likes this.
  5. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

This is one of the best builds i have seen in a long time! Keep up the awesome work!

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

those have to be the worlds most stout trunk hinges ever fabbed up for a model A, they're beautiful!!

7. I can't say much more then WOW!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't wait to see the rest.

8. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

very amazeing talent very cool ideas , subscribed

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Some damn fine work with Fred Flintstone tools

10. Very talented and a great build.

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

playing with ratios

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  12. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I can't believe I missed this thread...what an awesome build, and a lot of great ideas!!! :cool: ...thanks for sharing all the updates!!

13. thank you :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll TIG this on the backside too for a bit of extra meat, though i'm sure it'd be strong enough if i left it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i was going to use 6 bolts to bolt the pitman arm on, but 8 can only be stronger so 8 it is. these holes will be tapped (probably M8) and hi-tensile bolts used. it's not worth dicking about with cheap shit when this part is in charge of what direction my car goes.

:cool:

catdad49 likes this.
  14. Roger53

Roger53

Hi Neil Just finished reading your rebuild story.Just get a hell of a kick out of all the talent out there in the shops a round the world.Again great build. Keep the pic's coming

15. tapping threads and eating chocolate buttons.

[​IMG]

my mate eggy is a very good tig welder.

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  16. Beautiful craftmanship - subscribed!

17. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Wow, cutting discs may take a little longer than a band saw but damn you have the talent! Subscribed!

18. Nice work, thanks for sharing

19. i found this aluminium tank in the scrap pile outside a local welders shop, perfect for me to hack up to make fit, and it was the right price... free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after making a mock up pitman arm and steering hoop to make sure the ratios were right i thought i'd roll her outside for a few overall pics. i'm so happy with how the car sits now, stance is everything to me. i just had to get in it and make engine noises.

[​IMG]

i've positioned the steering box in such a way that the drag link is perfectly parallel with the wishbone and falls in the exact same vertical plane as the wishbone mount. hopefully meaning no bump steer. also i visually like things to run in line.

[​IMG]

thats why when viewed from the top i've made sure that the drag link is parallel to the chassis rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

happy me :D -

[​IMG]

:)

catdad49 likes this.
  20. i've been undecided about chopping the roof, i always said if i was going to it would be an absolute maximum of 2.5''. i told this to my brother (who REALLY wants me to chop it) so he did me a photoshop with about that much taken out the roof. i think i like it....

currently-

[​IMG]

proposed chop-

[​IMG]

21. zapp69

zapp69

I hope this doesn't turn into 5 pages of rant for chop v not as it's a great thread/build, I love chopped cars but some stock height also look awesome.
    Do what makes you happy, you've nailed the rest of the build so far!

22. Before you chop the top you need to figure out your seating. Once you have that right you will know if you can enjoy the ride with a chop.

23. linkstar69

linkstar69

The stance is so good on this thing I don't think it'll matter of you chop it or not, it looks killer man. As stated above, do as you feel man.

INXS likes this.
  24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

X2. This is one of the few cars that I actually like seeing the stock roof height on but it wouldn't hurt me if it got chopped either. I admire that you only want a minimal chop too.. The stance is perfection too.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And... a serious planning error on my build... if you ever plan to race it, put a helmet on before you get your chop etched in stone. And don't forget your headliner will also take up some space. A couple of inches over the helmet to allow for any bumps in the road is a good idea. Gary

26. linkstar69

linkstar69

Very good point

27. today was a busy day.

my friend larby made me this coupler to join 13'' of VW steering column to my steering box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i made a bushing for the steering wheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

larby also made me a 20'' long piece of 5/8 EN24 with a thread on either end so that i could heat it and bend it to make a hoop type steering arm. thanks to eggy for the torch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i machined a bung with the correct taper for my tie rod end and welded it in. then spent ages welding and filing, welding filing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i machined this bung and started making a stainless pitman arm which will get shaped and polished.

[​IMG]

the next big job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

catdad49 likes this.
  28. That is some awesome work. Will the tie rod clear the cowl side when turning hard to the right or will you need a dimple?

29. Love this thread!! Sweet build.

30. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'd like to know this myself as well.. It looks like you scratched the paint on the cowl side turning the wheel some?