Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Bruce, The small bullet thing on the end is what I was talking about. Like you said it might have never had one.

2. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Found grandpas helmet today. Or one like it I should say. And a cool intake. Now if I can find some WWII goggles I can go racing....

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

paintslinger805 likes this.
  4. Get the bastard on the street first will yah! LOL

5. Lol dale you ever heard of this leons shop. Intake????

6. 303racer, Tim and Runnin shine like this.
  7. Its a bell helmet. And the intake I think I will save for the merc motor build for the slambox. The slambox is my 49 ford shoebox, 2 door sedan that I sectioned 4" and it will be one crazy kustom.

8. image.jpg Damn junk strombergs already leaking fuel all over. Guess I will throw em in the trash. I know I have a sbc around here somewhere.

9. It's that yellow fricking tie-wrap . . . causes them ALL to leak! Actually, it is usually fuel pressure - you have to put a real accurate regulator on it - set to about 2 lbs.

Stogy likes this.
  10. I looked at that picture and went ohh f$&& it's got a tie wrap in the picture. I knew someone would call me out on it. I have a regulator on it and it is set to 2. Also have a fuel pressure gauge and it reads 2lbs when running. It leaking around the three screws on bottom of the bowl. No biggie I just though it was funny. Duck tape and tie wraps. Gone racing.

11. Dale check your email.

12. They ALL leak at one time or another . . . I don't give a crap what anybody says. That is one reason I ceramic coated the carb bodies and bases - as they leak, they will stain . . .and the nice black paint will come off the bases . . . then they rust. At least with my coatings, I can use lacquer thinner and a toothbrush and clean the bastards back off! (Well, then there is the mopping up of the gas pools on the manifold - small details!). LOL

13. DAM! Bruce the Bell helmet is cool.......Where did ya find that? and the intake is nothing to throw rocks at..

14. Use epoxy not silicone. If you get the right epoxy the repair can be nearly invisible. It is a matter of reflective index, sometimes you have to try a few to get the right one, if you are not picky any one will work. Slower setting is best for added strength, skip the 5min stuff.

bengeltiger and Runnin shine like this.
  15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dennis, the last time I saw one of those, I still had hair ! T'has been a while.

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duck tape and tiewraps are the modern equivalent of baling wire and a leather belt which is what Henry said was all one needed to keep the Tin Lizzie running.

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

For glass, this stuff is optically identical to glass when cured.

http://www.hisglassworks.com/shop/adhesives/epoxies/hxtal-nyl-1.html

Expensive, but it works.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. alchemy

alchemy

Get the hex head plugs and the new fangled plastic washer gaskets for the bottom of the 97's from Uncle Max. They are the best hope to stop the leaking down there.

treb11 and paintslinger805 like this.
  19. Thanks guys. How do I get ahold of Uncle max?? Is he online or a hamb member? I suck with computors.

20. I did a google search and found this...

http://97-express.com/

Glen.

303racer likes this.
  21. greaser

greaser

HAMB member, "UNCLE MAX".
    Click on the envelope pulldown, and start a new conversation.
    You cant go wrong with Uncle Max!

22. What do you guys think of the new carbs built over in England. Geni stromberg corp I think.? I hear they are way better than any others out on the market. I.e. Speedway... does max get his new parts from the guy over seas and not speedway?

23. Bruce, Ken & Keith of the rolling bones use them and say they are the best around...and they put more miles on there rods in a summer than most do in 10 years. To me that is a great test of quality..

24. saltracer219

saltracer219

Yes the real Strombergs are way better in every way. Kinda like comparing Harbor Freight tools to Snap On.....

25. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Playing with some old fuel regulators that I got today. I think I'm gonna run the flow-trol-r. Get rid of the new aged mr. Gasket regulator. The one with the glass bottom is from the late fifties and the flowtrolr is even older. Looks great in the engine compartment. It's nos and should work fine it has a screw to turn in to get the right flow. Cool beans I say. Just trying to stay on course here. Over.

26. image.jpg image.jpg
    After thinking about what you said to use max I realized I have one of his carbs. It looks brand new and I got it from an ol timer that knows him. If it's the same guy in Utah. This one is like clear coated or something it's glossy. The black base is perfect and it's been ran for 2 years. It's the nicest carb I have and if it's the same guy then I agree he does one hell of a job. I will look him up. It's a 97 and I'm running 48s.

bengeltiger and 63fdsnr like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

Uncle Max is a dealer and repair technician for Stromberg. He doesn't use any cheapo Chinese parts on his work. He will sell brand new Strombergs, or rebuild your old ones. He's fast, economical, polite, and a great asset to the hot rod hobby.

Stogy and bengeltiger like this.
  28. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure the internals will tolerate todays crap gas

bengeltiger likes this.
  29. Byakk0

Byakk0

Have a pic of your glass bottomed regulator? I've got a glass dome on my mechanical pump and the sucker is hard to source beyond eBay, if I'm lucky...almost like your Auburn dash.
    [​IMG]

30. Hey Bruce, are ya about ready to go for a drive in hypersonic for Christmas day?????