Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

GM bell housing bolt sizes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Voh

Voh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can anyone tell me the sizes for the taps on a GM bell housing? The four that bolt the gear box on, the one for the clutch fork and the little ones for the inspection cover. Are they standard or metric? I know the four are larger than 3/8". I had one of those.
    Thx

2. barslazyr

barslazyr

The four that holds the box on are 1/2"x 13, Inspection cover is 1/4" x 20.

3. squirrel

squirrel

It would help if you tell us what GM bellhousing it is. If it's an old one, then it should have 1/2" coarse for the trans, and 1/4-20 or possibly 5/16-18 for the cover.

If it's from some "modern" GM it might be metric, or a combination, or who knows what.

4. Voh

Voh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the number on my bell housing.

Attached Files:

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Voh

Voh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have another question on it as well. Can it be run on a block that is tapped for a top bolt? Bell housing does not have a top/center hole.

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy hardly ever used the top hole. Six bolts is plenty.

That's a normal chevy bellhousing. Make sure it's the right size for your flywheel, they made small and large. They also had a few other differences...make sure it fits the transmission "snout", some had a larger center hole in the bellhousing to fit the larger truck transmissions. If it's a loose fit the transmission could jump out of high gear. If it's too tight you can't put the transmission on all the way.

7. Voh

Voh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I got more questions. As it turns out the flywheel on the motor is a 168 tooth flywheel and the bell housing is of the "383" part number family.

What do I need to do? I don't have the clutch yet so it can go either way. Do I go smaller flywheel/clutch or different bell housing?

It will be a simple 283 not of high HP or anything. T5 transmission and a 1965 lemans axle, 3.08 gears.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. oldolds

oldolds

Starter matches flywheel. It bolts to engine not belhousing. Make sure the bell fits over the flywheel. I am not a numbers guy, I usually go by fit.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

The 383 bellhousing fits a 153 tooth flywheel or flexplate, only. You will need a 153 tooth flywheel, and a 10-1/2-inch clutch, which is more than enough for all but the craziest of SBC's.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012