Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Sorry to hear that man that sucks big time! Hopefully you'll run into something bigger and better real soon.

P.s. like the avatar..I play too (candy apple red 82 Les Paul Custom)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks for that Brother,but I'll be fine.

I do loooove my Gibsons!:)

Scott

3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Scott

Boy that sucks, but like you say things will work out

My fingers on my left hand never worked too well, so learning to play I think would be a big problem

A few yrs ago a guy wanted me build him a all alum electric ptototype, did my home work on how they work and I think it might of had way too twang

Would have been a fun project but he had no coin for any prototype work, tried to give me 50 bucks to start and I told him that was not even enough for me to sharpen my pencils!!

G Don

4. Muttley

Muttley

Just when you thought things couldnt suck any worse that happens. :mad: :( Grab a big stick, go out to the garage and beat the snot out of something, it always works for me. ;) Here's hoping you land another gig soon, I've got my fingers crossed for you.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

After working my entire life as an electrician, and always worrying if the next job would come along after each one was finished, I know too well that feeling! Hope you find something soon! I retired 4 years ago, and the best part about it is never worrying about having work next week, or anytime!

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Vall,
    They kinda played a dirty trick on me when I asked two months ago if I should be looking for something.
    They knew they were going to cut back,but denied it to prevent me from leaving,so that they could get the last couple of months out of me without fear of me jumping ship.

No worries,I'll be back working in no time....this will just free up a couple weeks to really get some work done on the cars:)

Scott

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mikey:
    It was kind of a kick in the nuts, but I'm too stubborn to stay down...lol!

Scott

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don:
    That would have been a really cool project,but you may have ended up angry and frustrated when it was all over.
    A lot of guys have tried building solid body electrics with aluminum bodies and it never seems to work out...the right alloy to have the correct resonance and tone seems to be very elusive.

The only guy I have seen make it work has a company named Liquid Metal Guitars,and they are just light years ahead of everybody else who has tried it.
    He seems to have hit upon the magical combination:)

You leave no stone unturned,do you Don?
    Bikes,boats,cars,guitars......you are having more fun ten men!:D

Scott

9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Scott

Well trying to have some fun in the Rusting years

The Guitar would have been all hollow made in two half's all done on a NC mill and the same with neck

And the pickups would have been rubber mounted to make changes for getting the tone better if at all?

Most likely it would have stood your hair on end form being a bit too lively

G Don

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don,
    Here's a few questions about cylinder heads for you:

How common were the following things back around 64-65?

1: Angle milling

2:Welded and relocated ports

3:professionally ported heads vs home ported heads done by the owner

I know you did a ton of very serious race engines for some pretty impressive customers back in the day,so I thought you would be the guy who would have a really accurate take on this.

And that guitar sounds like it would have been a sight to see!:)

Scott

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Scott my friend Jerry Brady was brazing the ports and angle milling in the mid 70's

Side note : those porting guys went throu triggers on their grinders because you have to get the cutter speed just right so they play with the trigger as they are cutting out the metal and the same with using a cartrage roll

Too much speed and they come apart, and Jerry wound up having real bad pain in his elbows because of moving the grinder while cutting

That is not a fun job at all !!!

If you wanted to go fast you bought pro ported heads, got my first set from Joe Mondello in 63' and the first day I ran 11.85 on a 11.84 record in 64' at San Fernando and took home the trophy too

Great first day, G Don

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don,
    I agree that it is not a fun job!
    I used to have a little side gig doing cylinder heads.
    In a couple of years I bet I did two dozen small block Ford and big block Chevy heads.No welding,but pretty heavy port work on some.
    About an 80/20 ratio of iron and aluminum heads.

I just did an iron 302 Ford head real quick recently for a porting thread I posted on here.
    By the time I was done I thought I was gonna die I was aching so bad in my neck,back,shoulder,elbow,wrists,and my eyes were sore cause I don't see as well as I did ten years ago....lol

I think from now on I'm going to have a buddy CNC port my stuff,and I will just pretty it up with a cartridge roll to smooth out the CNC resolution.
    MUCH less painful!:)

Scott

13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

What a bunch of wimps, real men use Dumore grinders LOL

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hahahaaa!:)

I used to use a couple different styles of makita grinders with a box with a rheostat to vary the speed.It worked nice,and they were nice and light,but there was no trigger on them for immediate changes to speed,which would have been a big plus.

If I started doing it on a regular basis again I think I would fab up a dedicated porting bench with a comfortable seat,sort of like the love child of a school desk and an office chair,but with the desk top elevated,and with a power bar and a couple flexible map lights,and maybe a recess in the desk top for a flat LED light to illuminate the ports from the inside out.
    Otherwise,I don't think my creaky old bones could handle it anymore!:)

Scott

15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Before Jerry opened his own shop he worked for Donavan, and they had a vacuum bench for the porting that kept the shop clean without the fuzzys floating in the air

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Now THAT is a great idea!
    I bet he could get a Briggs & Stratton to flow 300cfm on the intake side after putting in so many hours on all those race heads.:)

Scott

59ratgasser likes this.
  17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

He learned a ton more after he got his own custom made flow bench by Briar McKay of Weber Manifold fame for sbc

In 75' he flowed my new Yamaha TT 500 head, intake was pretty good but picked up a lot on the ex side

18. Larry T

Larry T

Lots of folks ran Crane Fireball heads. They might not have been as "hot set up" as custom jobs, but they worked well. They changed and updated through the years.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Back in the 70's I worked as an electrician at the local steel foundry on swingshift. The off shift was mostly covering trouble calls, so I brought my BBC heads and intake into the shop and made use of their grinders, and materials to port match them. Took me a month of spare time to finally finish them, but they came out great, and were polished to a mirror finish on the exhaust side. Left them a satin finish on the intake side to hopefully help flow.
    It was so much work I never considered doing another pair, and had others with more skill do it for me after that.

20. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

gasket match is mostly a placebo ,never seen a dyno sheet that justifies the work---lots of hard running big blocks out there oval port heads and square intakes and the other way around--- actual head porting when done properly is very beneficial ---and to address another point Jocko was brazing ports in the 50's...

21. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

How about a big grumpy lump, or an obnoxious cowl :D

Thats a gasser must have :cool:
    Not gonna run this one for now, I made it in my A&P school for a shop project. Came out really nice i must say! surprised myself!

I though it looked neat, i used the DIM's of a twolane blacktop cowl. this is made from .032 Alclad Aluminum

Attached Files:

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

That looks so badass!
    Nice job!

Scott

23. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn thats cool.

24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Pretty cool looking scoop, boy I forgot about that flick haven't seen it in a long time

25. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Got my project out for a little progress Tuesday and all it did was rain! Gary

Attached Files:

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Gary,
    What's the back story on your car....looks like it was a pretty serious car back in its day.:)

Scott

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Must have up to 10% engine set back can't have over 10% setback

28. Larry T

Larry T

You didn't have to run 10% set back, but you could. A lot of the tri-5 gassers around here ran the engine in the stock location. 10% set back took some pretty serious firewall modification.

29. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Scott it is 100% new build, It was a stock 36 Pontiac 3w missing the front clip and drivetrain. I hope to make some progress this summer, maybe under it's own power this year and racing the next. Gary P5200005 (2).JPG P5200010.JPG

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

Gary,
    Sorry about that....I was drawing a blank on the car,but I've actually been waiting to see more of your car!I remember seeing a few pics of it on another thread a while back.

Is that a Pontiac M/T crossram intake you've got there...?That is gonna be one impressive animal!
    What are your plans for engine/trans exactly?

Scott