Register now to get rid of these ads!

GARAGE Magazine #14: About Ray Cass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zerk, May 29, 2007.

1. Zerk

Zerk

So I'm farting around in Barnes&Noble, perusing magazines, when I see Garage #14 and pick it up. The cover is absolutely killer, with a sumptuous babe in front of a neat-as-a-pin chopped '39 Convertible, and the background is the underside of a bridge, for a little context and architectural flavor.

An older gent standing to my right: "That's my car".
    So what exactly does he mean? That's his dream car? Or he had a car like that fifty years ago? Or could it in actuality be his very own prized posession? Well, it was all three. There to pick up his obligatory copies featuring his custom, he noted my interest and from there we struck up the kind of conversation that you wish could be a recorded interview.

Ray Cass is an unassuming fellow. As we talked standing at the magazine rack, I learned the story of his '39, how he built the car and kept it while over the years many, many other cars and trucks, worthy in their own right, were sold or traded away. Later, when Ray invited me over to his place to see this car, I got a perfect sense of why the talanted craftsman held this particular '39 in such esteem. It may be the cleanest custom I have ever seen.

When you first set eyes on Cass' beautiful convertible, you feel somehow tricked. There is subtle magic at work here. The contours are almost too perfect, the transitions almost too smooth, the profile as graceful as the lithe model from the cover shoot. There is very little in the way of decoration here; No pinstriping, flames or novelty items. Little that doesn't add directly to function has been included. It is like the motorcycle it shares floorspace with, in that its appearance is spare, a direct result of its intended purpose, yet there isn't a bad line on it.
    You search for a concrete detail to hang your perception on; The car is done in this style, it fits perfectly into that era...but none of your observation can pigeonhole this car, so you go on orbiting the space it occupies with such sculptural presence, trying to catch your aesthetic balance, wondering how a man's vision and pure good sense could yield so rare an experience.

Ray Cass is a true gentleman. He answers questions about his work and his life with grace and simple honesty. He is unashamedly blue collar, has spent a career making badly bent cars and trucks straight again, but it's no surprise when you discover his unlimited outlook and interests. His humor is always present, and although he is serious, he doesn't take himself too seriously. I spent a couple of hours talking with Ray and it was as good a time as I've ever had.

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky that I ran into him at the magazine rack.

2. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

dude,,,that your story is so fuckin cool.....that man is a RULER,,,,

,,,i meet old men like that from time to time,and always trip out on their storys for hours,,i can only imagine how cool it was to meet THAT dude and the way you met him was even COOLER<,<<,,

P.S. did you get anymore pics of the '39????

and P.S.S,,,GARAGE magazine ,,,how do you manage to outdo yerselves everymonth?????

and P.S.S.S,,,i'm GLAD to here GERM is still ALIVE.......

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Mike53

Mike53

Great Story!Looks like a good issue,just picked it up today,tho the Iggy Pop story didnt look so good.

4. Stoner

Stoner

Zerk--

It sure is great to hear about your chance meeting with Ray. That guy is somethin' else, ain't he just?

I know I've said it before, but the fact that he drove that sweet custom into Manhattan for our covershoot in the POURING DOWN rain and 40-degree weather, his floor pans filling with water, is a true testament to the type of guy he is. Not many--young or old--would do that for any reason.

Especially with a car like that!

Attached Files:

5. Zerk

Zerk

Yes, Ray Cass is the business. I got to see other photos from the shoot (unrefined proofs I guess) and from Ray's own camera, saw the '39 in previous versions, with a white top using an old Jag rear window (the current incarnation has a top made by the owner in first-class style), and the previous blue paint which accents the car nicely but for one reason or another was too difficult to match. No matter, the car is a standout in black.

Also, I got the royal treatment at Ray's and went through his personal album of car photos, of his cars and trucks, some of the pics being original B&W with scalloped edges. Pics of his projects, daily drivers, work done for customers over the years. Also some photos donated by his pals who had shots of certain cars that he lacked. And that's part of the whole scenario too...guys who were there, willing to share their one-of-a-kinds with him to help complete the picture.

Stoner: Ray was happy to recount the story of the shoot. Since I have hopes that he'll come to the HAMB himself one day and tell the story I'm reluctant to say much more. The guy treated me in first-rate fashion, and it'd be crass of me to steal his thunder. For everyone reading this, I'll just say that GARAGE really went the extra mile to produce a fine shoot and to treat Ray and his custom like the unique subjects they are. Ray came away impressed, and after hearing about it, so did I.

Sam F.: Wish I had some pics to put here. As it stands I don't even have contact info. He gave me, a complete stranger who had just come there from a rough night at work (scrufty, dirty and not especially reputable-looking), the best two-hour education I've ever had.

Mike53: Thanks, it was a great experience, glad I could write about it somewhere where people would care about it.

I'd recommend the issue for the cover story and Turbonique article alone. If you like tatooing and great slice-of-life articles too then you definitely won't be disappointed. Nice work.

6. BigEd

BigEd

Zerk, and anyone else in the Jersey shore area, Ray and his car can be seen almost any Wednesday night at our weekly cruise at the Beacon Street Grille in Neptune. You're right, Ray is one of the most talented guys you could know. You kinda glossed over the top on his '39. He wanted a chop and solicited some of the shops in the area. Well, the prices they quoted him were outrageous so he went out and bought a sewing machine, learned how to use it, and sewed himself a new top. He did say (rather proudly) that it was the one part of the car that didn't leak during the trip to NY for the photo shoot.

Another story about Ray -- about a year ago at the Fireman's show in Red Bank, Mel (Dirtiest Devil) was talking with Ray while looking at his car. Mel mentioned that there was a club called The Rumblers and that Ray might want to meet with them and join up. Ray pulled out his scrapbook and floored Mel when he showed his Rumblers membership card from 1952.

BTW, Ray's working on a '51 Merc 4 door now.

Here are a couple of shots I took last year of the '39. Ray is behind his car in the first shot.

Attached Files:

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Zerk

Zerk

BigEd, thanks for the details! I probably missed as much info as I remembered from talking with Ray, due to being up all night.

Just thought of another bit about the trip into NYC for the photo shoot: The ever-present oil film on the roads,and then losing the brakes from all the water on those oilslicked roads made the ride a white-knuckler.
    I'm thinking that everybody felt that driving that convertible into the city on such a lousy day was a real gutty move. Everybody but Ray, that is, since he pretty much took it in his stride...

8. Stoner

Stoner

Oh--one more detail about the shoot to add to Zerk's description:

That location was in Harlem, a few blocks from the Cotton Club. Good times.

Oh yeah: snapshot credit goes to Mel Stutz of the Rumblers--he's responsible for getting Ray and his car to the shoot for us...

STONER

Attached Files:

9. Zerk;
    Thanks for sharing, you have a gift with words. That car and story need to be covered as only TRJ can (hint hint).No offense to any other mag guys here.
    Stoner; Great issue as allways.

10. Zerk

Zerk

Thanks GreenMtnBoy, it was a pleasure to share with you guys, especially since Ray was so unselfish in the first place.

I'm in agreement with you that there could be a great TRJ article here, but I think the story is special enough to rate a real scribe. In an ideal world I'd pick Pat Ganahl to do it, hands down, any day and all day Sunday. It'd be a natural.

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Isn't Mel's name Schultz, not Stutz? The fucker's running from the law or some shit.

Germ lives, yes he fucking does.

12. guiseart

guiseart

...best issue out of the four I've gotten, articles are great reading and the pictures make me all dark and fuzzy (wait, that's mold)

Yeah, Germ is my anti-hero.

13. synthsis

synthsis

Stultz.

14. Zerk

Zerk

I thought it was "Stultz". Shows how much I know. In GARAGE it's actually "Stutz" like in Bearcat.

Can't wait to see Germ's unique style in GARAGE.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Mel's hair looks like a bearcat, a rabid redheaded one.

16. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

....man,,,those thick girls towards the back of the mag ....i dunno,,,...but they look pretty damn fun....:D,,yummy!

17. Hahahahaha, it really is a small hot rod world!

Stoner... met him at Paso the day they unloaded the first Garaga mag. years ago.

Jesse James... great friends with my Beatnik pals Jack Rudy and gang. Also went to the same metal shaping teacher Fay Butler...one of my all time favorite people. Too many stories there...

Timothy White and Nads, Rumbler brothers. Timothy shot the cover. Nads is maniac.

Ray Cass... My ole Pal and wealth of information for doing things the way we like em done. Tasteful and cool. Yup...a true gentlemen.

So my phone rang last night from friends to tell me they saw my 34/garage in the back of Garage yesterday. I had just picked it myself on my first shake down run in the 34. Killer mag! Could'nt believe how many times my name was in it...yup, all wrong.

So I was just adjusting my pain in the HEIN 36 headlites out back when Ray calls and asks if I ever heard of the Jalopy Journal? Of cource Ray, I live there... So he says, man you better get on there, people are saying your runing from the law... hahahaaaa. Na, I cleared that up years ago...gave up drinkin too... More for Nads..

Thanks brother Nads! Its so funny how people take everything so literal. And even more entertaining watching the stories twist and turn... hahahaa.

The real spelling of my name is Meldon (not Melvin) Van Riper Stultz the 3rd, or terd. I use to mix this name up years ago when I was wanted by the Fuzzzzz...

I am a NJ guy, guy...not NY. But they are my bro's and I love em....even Nads!

I've got a lot more to add to this story.... but I gotta get back outside and work on some cars. Be back later!

18. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

Ray Kass has been a friend of mine for a couple of years now. I call him or stop by whenever I have an automotive related question or to just shoot the shit, bring him car mags, hear some war stories or to learn about the ingenuity of British engineering. A true old time hotrodder filled with volumes of knowlege.

Here's a couple stories:

-Rays' got an old Triumph motorcycle he's restored. He's 75 years old and just stopped driving it last year. He wont drive it anymore as the roads are too dangerous with Quote: "F'in soccer moms on cell phones" but says, if gas goes any higher he may start riding again and take his chances...

- If Ray sees a Merc with the spotlights mounted incorrectly, he has no problem tellin u there wrong. There's a period correct place they should be mounted and turned he says.

-We were at a car show once and came upon and old Buick from the 60's and Ray says: "This car looks very familiar to me", so we start looking it over, up and down and, he says he thinks he may have worked on the car somewhere during its lifetime. So we go around to the back of the car and sure enough, there's the dealer emblem on the trunk from the old dealership Ray worked at during the 60's. turns out he did mods on the car 40 years earlier. He even put the dealer emblem on and, we had a great laugh as we realized that it was mounted crooked. .

I'm trying to get the old guy to get himself a computer but it doesnt look like that'll happen, hell, I'm still trying to get him to use his cell phone when he's in the garage instead of going back to the house! last time I talked to him he was up on a ladder. friggin guy's makin us youngsters look bad! I'm glad after all these years Ray's finally getting his due.

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Vibrotastic femalia, action packed, bigger than clown doggie balloons yet smaller than dirigibles, plumpy and sausageriffic, they get my soon to be 46 year old projector beam on superlaser, may God keep these lassies warm in his bosom because they sure as hell don't want anything to do with me.

Hey Meldon,

XOXOX

20. Stoner

Stoner

Nads, I swear--if you don't start writing for us soon, I'm gonna come down there. And you don't want me in Florida. No bueno.

And Mel--look for a correction in the next issue! But I want you to seriously consider changing your last name to Stutz. I'll do it if you do it!

STONER

21. So here is a pic of ole Ray, my pal.

Funny reading the stories and watching them change...

Ray and I met cause the boys and I got invited to a hot rod show. One of the guys that throws this show is such a nice guy, got a great kid too. Can't remember his name..but always nice to see them.
    We knew we would'nt fit in, but wanted to support some local firemen that seemed to really like us, and we dug that.

Was'nt really my scene that day...but I got to meet Ray... been my friend ever since.

So we were cutting through the parking lot over to our cars and I hear this guy say, "Hey... Whats this Rumblers", hahahaa. I look at him and say, it's a car club, but I 'm thinking...what do you think it is? Hahahaa
    Well, Ray is now blown away, "Rumblers". He gets all excited and brings us over to the nicest 39 I've ever seen in Jersey. There are lots of great cars and people in NJ, but not usually at the local car shows. Seems like everyone cool... just does'nt live close enough.
    So now... he's got our attention. And I'm wondering if he has any idea that he's got guys in front of him that appreciate every ounce of his glorious ride. Its hard to convey that without being over the top...but you want someone to know that you get every thought and pain staking minute it took to build this... One thing I gotta say bout Ray, he's got class. He's just right on the money, from the style of cars, to the thoughts in his head...and I'd guess he's always been like that.
    He's also the real deal. Not to put other guys down if they dont wrench, but I admire him. He just sleeps and breathes this stuff. Does it all too, paint, mechanics, fab work, cloth, don't matter. He's a wealth of knowledge, can't help it...been building since he was a kid, and still loves it.

Think it keeps most of us... outta trouble.

Just think how many 94's he's rebuilt? Its crazy, he told me once. Cracks me up to think he's been working on the same damn motors since the 40's, hahaha...
    So Ray breaks out his book, ton's of photos of his old friends, most of them gone now. Lots of cars owned and tweaked by Ray. Even Jack Lentz's "Golden Rod". Yup, Ray worked on it a little. Think he did a tail light or something...hahaa, can't remember...don't worry, he'll remind me.
    Something else funny bout this story too...Ray hated something about this car....can't remember what either. Although I can hear him telling the story already and he always tells you what he dislikes. Had a ton of lead in it, I know that.
    So anyway, yes... Ray was a member of the Rumblers back in the day. In that book of memories he had this little card as well. Super cool!

Don't wanna bore you guys, so I'm trying to speed this up.

The Rumbler guys made these up cause of the bad rap local hot rodders were getting from the Police. Like most towns, car ckub members would assist people on the side of the road when broken down. They would leave these cards behind to prove to people that they were just good ole Motor Heads happy to help. Exspecially if you was a cutie pie... Lucky, he still had one to share with us.
    Even though Ray does'nt run a Rumbler plaque...he's for sure one us. And we are honored to have him as our friend. Plus...he's got all the secrets, hahahaa...

So when Stoner called and needed a Kustom...I called good ole Ray. There is usualy about 14 hot rods here at all times, but not enough 40's cars or kustoms. I was stoked! My chance to pick a car that I felt was tasteful and cover worthy for a national magazine, and represent NJ the way it should.

I knew this would be hard though, seeing I had to get Ray up to Brooklyn. I had to tell him of how cool the mag was and that he was going to be on the cover.
    See, Ray doesn't go very far...hahaa, I can barely get him to come over my house/garage and I'm only 15 minutes away.
    Ray lost his eye years ago, and you did'nt think he could get any cooler. Oh yes, but not in Korea watching Maralyn, it was a shop accident. Tell you the truth, I never knew till he told me... as we both squint. So, I told him of all the glorious fat bottom girls that would grace the pages with his beautiful 39. It worked! Hahaha, I'm just kidding. Ray is pretty proud of his ole girl, and I was just happy to get him on the cover, he deserves it. Hope you all get the chance to meet him!

Oh, and Ray did build that top on his car, and it did'nt leak. But the window rubber sure did!

What an adventure! Here I was with a one eyed guy, a vacume wiper, pouring rain, and the sweeeet sounds of perfectly runnin Flattie. Threading the needle as Ray called it. He does like to complaign alot, hahahaha. Traffic gets tight up in the city, nothing like it, specially in a hot rod. But we did it... great day!

Great to see Stoner again and reaquaint. Happy to help, I'll give you a buzz soon.

And Timothy, man...now that guy is a rock star.

Thanks friends, hope to see you all soon! Meldon Van Riper Stultz the terd.... Not wanted!

Attached Files:

22. Guilty...

Attached Files:

23. Some more pics...

Had no idea that Stoner was going to want to use the crappy pics I took, pretty cool. I was just trying to capture some heiny...

Attached Files:

G31270Oldsmobile1938 likes this.
  24. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

I don't remember those pictures in the mag :)

25. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

Nads,,,you have such a way with words,,you are a modern day SILVER TOUNGED DEVIL,,,,,,,,,haahhahaa,,,waht you said,,is what i was thinking inside,,but i am a simpleton and had no way to even think of so eliquiently speaking it out loud such as you did,,,,,,,,the enitire time i was drooling over these sexy VOULMTIOUS women,,,i was fasinated,,,,then after staring at them for at least an hour or so,,reality kicked in and i thought,,,,"man,,these JUICY sexy women wouldnt give me the time of day",hhhHhaaaa .....a tip of the hat to you kind Sir!

26. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Another great issue, but the wife is is bummed that there is only 1 pic of the garage gal. She likes the ones in the back,too!

27. Joe King

Joe King

My friend Treth walks into my house and sees The Rodders Journal, Garage mag, and Rod and Custom on my kitchen table and says "poor Rod and Custom, it just doesn't belong in this pile" Great job Stoner

28. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

hahhaha!

.....on a side note..... i havent seen an issue of R&C since moving here to the new pad back in november..after already calling the subsciption office twice...

29. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I've been reading Garage since issue #1, and I have to say that the quality just gets better and better. I really dig the matte cover stock too, it really classes it up.

30. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Defenatly a top notch mag with a perfect blend of material. The drawing of the 1000 hp updated retro digger turned me on the most.