Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fremont Drag Strip ... PICS from 1964!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, May 15, 2010.

1. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I'm "thinkin" Fuller?

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Fabulous!!! Thanks for posting these.

3. My first time at Fremont was 1969. Later when I got my drivers license I ran my own car down the strip a few times. That was at the Wednesday night drags in the late 70's. The last place I lived in CA. before moving back here to Missouri was Fremont. I lived at the base of the hills on the left, almost straight across from the starting line, of course the strip was history by then. Dean

4. Man that IS deranged- what gold. Thanks.

5. Thanks for sharing what most of us "oldies" would consider what drag racing was really like. These were the days before the mass corporate, multi crew members, media, golf carts, quads have taken over the starting line. Instead in those early years the strip personnel would be in their white pants and matching shirts, simple push vehicles with a couple of crew personnel, a few photographers to record the event and plenty of spacious unobstructed viewing for those of us in the bleachers. Great picture of the twin Dodge Chargers in their fresh colors, was fortunate to have seen one at our local Chrysler dealership in Fullerton, Charlie Allen was given the task of answering questions and driving duties on and off the trailer.

6. ditto...on the way it was done...love the "dress race casual"...thanks for the pics - Hemi32!

7. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

That has got to be a scary ride! I love it! Thanks for posting!

8. 65 impala

65 impala

9. motorhead711

motorhead711

Great pics man!!! Thanks for those!

10. Muttley

Muttley

Great pics, thanks for taking time to post them.

11. skywolf

skywolf

Hemi32 thanks for taking the time to share these. Fantastic.

12. elricho

elricho

Awesome-thanks so much for sharing those images!!

13. turdytoo

turdytoo

Cousin Henry use to call that "boilin the hydes". Thanks for the post.

14. riceman

riceman

Great Picture of Tom Prufer's ( red jacket ) Kent Fuller built Fueler. Jet Car Bob Smith was the driver. Later in the year, this would have been Gerry Steiner's first Top Fuel Dragster ride and run 200 mph at Fremont. Arnie Roberts or Jack Hagemann built the body.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. riceman

riceman

Terrible Ted Gotelli with Denny Milani driving. Another Kent Fuller car.

16. riceman

riceman

Kent Fuller built ex-Champion Speed Shop SBC Top Fueler, bought by Sid Masters and Rick Richter, driven by Big Bob Haines. 112'' wheelbase car from San Leandro, Ca. My hometown haulass Fueler ! I have drawn up blueprints of this chassis. Kent Fuller himself and Left Hay, the Crew Chief for M & R have both approved it. It was front halved and lengthen three times by Left Hay. Tom Walsh and Left Hay bought this car and raced as the "Wailer". The car was destroyed at Vaca Valley Raceway in Vacaville, Ca. with Chuck Poole driving. This is the same Chuck Poole that later ran " Chuck Poole's Chuckwagon" Wheelie Pickup. So if you think this was John Milner's Fueler in American Graffiti 2, it was not the car.

17. riceman

riceman

Ansen Wheel Special, formly the 1962 Bakersfield Smoker's March Meet Top Fuel Eliminator of Kent Fuller-Dave Zueschel and Don Prudhomme.

18. riceman

riceman

Scarbonia & Rich Guasco( Pure Hell) driving the yellow & blue Pete Ogden built Fueler. Ogden had made a aluminum rearend housing out if aluminum plate for this car, which spun and badly injured Rich. Rich still has the housing at his house. I saw it at his house and Rich said " That is the one that got me, I am on it and it is mine! ". The aluminum bodied car in the right lane is Fuller-Zueschel and driven by Don Moody.

Brianna B likes this.
  19. riceman

riceman

The Red Jr.Fueler in the far line is Logghe-Steffy and Marsh, aka Giant Killer which was Top Fuel Eliminator at this race at Fremont.

20. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

21. riceman

riceman

The silver AA/MC is Jerry Card, very simular to Paul Sutherland's Chicken Fat. Sutherland said he named his car that, because it was as ugly as Chicken Fat.

Attached Files:

22. riceman

riceman

Color picture of Paul Sutherland's Chicken Fat AA/MC at the 1962 Smoker's meet at Famoso taken by Steve Gibbs

Attached Files:

23. riceman

riceman

The guy on the far right is Geno Gaslenn(?)

24. riceman

riceman

Crossley,Swan & Jack Williams Kamikaze 1

25. M.Edell

M.Edell

Wow thats cool you can identify everyone!

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

This is exactly why I'm building my '56 truck.... Just like the truck behind this car... So Damn Cool... Is this possibly Ted Gotelli's car being pushed by Jim McClennan's truck??? Hmm.. great shots!

The first pic of the M&R car is SO DAMN BITCHIN....

WOWW!!!!

~Robert M.

27. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Great pictures....Thanks for sharing them

Steve

28. M.Edell

M.Edell

Back when Fremont was still a cool place.All in my back yard you kinda took it for granted... Fremont is far from a cool place these days...Sad

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hmm. Judging by one of the other shots in the thread that may actually be Ted's truck? I thought it looked just like the '56 that Champion Speed Shop had around that time. Well anyways... The pictures is just the inspiration I need to keep forging on.

Once the truck is done..... Next comes the Fuel Car...

No shortage of things to do!

Thanks Again,

Robert M.

HEMI32 likes this.
  30. KEITHMAN

KEITHMAN

What a GREAT way to start Sunday. THANKS! Hemi32 for sharin' some history.

March '64 is just before my 8th birthday. My Dad quite possibly took me to that race. We lived in South San Jose. COOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!! :D

Riceman - Roger thanks for IDing the pics! What a wealth of info you are!

Have A Great Day!!!