Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest FOUND Model A roadster Drag roadster/land speed car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete

Posting for a friend. He just purchased this one of a kind roadster and it trying to find any history on it.

Here is what he wrote.

30/31 roadster Said to have been built in NY in 55/56....inside out z'd Model A frame, adjustable height, suicide front end with a filled, dropped axle, reversed front spindles, heavy engine setback, 39 trans, heavy channel, partial belly pan under body, Edmunds custom 2/2 with one carb ahead and one behind the firewall, 39 juice brakes and an inverted Model A rear crossmember as a trans mount and a rear section of another Model A frame welded to the top of the inside out frame... To mount the rear axle, z'ing it even more!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

3. Very interesting, got a story behind it, good find!!

4. Killer find! Can't say that I've seen an inside out frame before. Any pictures of the rear Z?

fiddysixF likes this.

5. Tony

Tony

Man i reeeaaallly like that roadster!!!

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  6. Nice find.
    Al.

7. 29AV8

29AV8

Man I would love to get my hands on that. Why cant I find stuff like this.

volvobrynk and Donald A. Smith like this.
  8. Pete

Pete

Looks like a cool rig, I haven't seen it yet but from the pics it's definitely got some unique features.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. pitman

pitman

I like the Dadgum Reversed frame rails!
    (looks to be a late '31) and a Dee-Luxe by the cowl side light holes

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Great stuff, I hope some history can be dug up.
    Id love to read the story behind it.

11. I'd probably stop just short of calling it a Drag race Land speed car being there is no sign of any saftey equipment at all. That might have been the Dream of it's future but I doubt it ever got there. In fact it looks like many other stalled out Dreams that never got finished. I doubt seriously it has ever turned a tire in it's current stage of Dream. I'll give ya that's a Way Kool score and a grate project. Keep us posted on what happens from here forward. Best of Luck to ya.
    The Wizzard

AmishMike, Hnstray and Dean Lowe like this.
  12. Pete

Pete

Wizard,

That may be so but..... I've seen plenty.... No..... Lots of sketchy cars built when "safety" wasnt really required do to these cars not exceeding 70-80 mph on a course or track.... That actually did make passes.

I've also seen plenty of street driven hot rods from the 50's that should never have been driven on the road but were and still are..... So the assumption merely from these pics that the car never became or was a stalled project is a little pre mature.

The reason I called it a drag/land speed car was to drum up a little exitement or to merely get people to look at the pics.

Stogy, catdad49, yruhot and 4 others like this.
  13. Got it. Let's hope for some good input. What's your gut feeling, has it ever run in it's as is form?
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Pete

Pete

BUT..... It's certainly possible

15. Pete

Pete

I'm not the owner.... Eli owns it and is an established builder....he says it looks promising?? Wiring is intact, drive line. Etc

Seriously though.... Who knows

16. Seriously,,, I wish I had been 10 minutes in front of him at the sale.
    The Wizzard

brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  17. Pete

Pete

Haha.....it's def an East Coast build!

volvobrynk and Donald A. Smith like this.
  18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

East coast WICKED PISSAH !! Fer sure. It's got the look!

19. I have seen a lot of scary stuff at early 60's Bonneville meets. The "adjustable' spring perches are the way it was done back then on lakes cars. But, I guarantee you, this car has never turned a wheel under power. It is someone's un finished dream.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

That car looks very familiar, a friend of mine had one several years ago just like it but I thought his was '28-'29 it was built around the Waterville N.Y. area by an old stock car racer. I'll check with my friend and see if he thinks it's the same car. If it is he sold it to a guy in S.E. Pa. or N.J. it was on ebay about a year later and didn't get much attention at that time.

21. brady1929

brady1929

22. Pete

Pete

Totally possible, Please explain.

23. Pete

Pete

More from Eli:

Thing is... I think it was wrecked... It took the nose and radiator, twisted the rail, broke the axle, bent the wishbone and the brake line bracket all on the same side... Yes there is pads for the fuel tank... The lines are still run, there is radiator mounts, the battery box is in the trunk and still wired to the starter with welding cable, there is a starter solonoid that is still wired... There is holes where the gas pedal was mounted... This thing was driven in some capacity...

Oh and all the brakes are hooked up and run in copper lines

24. pitman

pitman

Dean, like any Yankee, doubtful, in that the extinguisher mount, the trans cover plate, the 'custom' seat covers, and the two flaps(?) on the front edge of the driver's cushion, all suggest she drove. "No sense in time wasted!" ;)
    Copper? Phew, traditional.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  25. Pete

Pete

I had a '38 coupe a few years ago.... It too had full copper brake lines and that car was definetly driven on the street.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Pete

Pete

clearly it's a little rough around the edges but it's evident the car once had fuel tank, brakes and other means of producing power... I think it was driven and I think the wheels have spun. But again, who knows.

I've been to lots of local shows and have personally seen rods that have no business going down the road; mesh floors, scrub lines that are way off, tractor seats with no belts, front brakes only, super sketchy steering, oh and these are cars built "today".

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Pete

Pete

image.jpeg More from the current owner, Eli.

Here is some more detailed pics.... Non runner you say...fuel lines wired starter solonoid, brakes, fuel tank straps and pads and a damaged right front. Axle, wishbone, and frame rail! Missing radiator and nose suggests accident... It may not have been driven very long... But I am pretty sure it was more than just someone's dream!

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

28. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

OK, here's the story I just talked with the guy that built that car it was built in Rome, N.Y. back in the late '40s early '50's it was built with a hot 4 banger in it with a Cyclone head and full oil pressure. The owner moved to Deansboro, N.Y. and had the car outside one day when a man from Clinton, N.Y. drove by and saw it, he wanted it because of the engine and ended up trading a '36 cabriolet for it. At some point he removed the engine and the car ended up back in Deansboro at a local scrap yard where the flathead and a different frame were installed. As far as the original owner knew it was never registered or run on the road legally haha but he and the scrap yard owner did run it. The original owner/builder is not on line doesn't even own a computer but still runs an old vintage sprint car around the N.E. with the antique car club. When I was talking with him I had this thread up asking him questions about the car and mentioned the leopard print seat covers, he laughed and said he had a leopard print blanket in it and the scrap yard guy had it sewed up into real seat covers. Power of the HAMB

Stogy, Jet96, Mikel50 and 23 others like this.