Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead ohv conversions: flow?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Jun 23, 2009.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

well, there's nothing modern about an F head design, thats for sure!, the only "modern" thinking i want to encorporate is to match the flow as closely as possible. We know a bit more about chamber design and getting a flathead to breath than we did 40 years ago and I wouldn't want to lose chamber effiencey or make the exahaust ports so large that they lose velocity.

2. miller91

miller91

Yes, challenging with a pushrod F-head placing a valve right over the piston crown. Some guys with obvious expertise have already posted, so calculating volumes and port sizes shouldn't be an issue. That valve placement is problematic, but the stock exhaust valve pocket would be eliminated in your chamber design I would think? And where to place the plug...A fun problem to puzzle over.

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

ned, here is the pic of the intake port cutaway curtesy of vergil on the hamb. he's done an exhaust port cutaway as well. both of these are very enlightening!:

[​IMG]