Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Ford: Minus two seconds

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Third DodgeBrother, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

The first HAMB/SDRA cars I saw were flathead ford powered. I missed that motor's origional hay day, but I really like the way those looked and sounded. There were a good number of these cars at the time, but I don't see them anymore. I asked Bob Hindman why. Bear in mind that we are two old farts, 50 yards from a TFD warming up, both of us can barely hear, and hardly speak. He replied,"two seconds.."

It turns out that the flatheads were two seconds slower than the sixes, and couldn't run the index. I
    hate to think of them moldering away in some garage with nowhere to run. Is there a way, economically, within the spirit of HAMB/SDRA, to make these cars two seconds quicker? NOS? Fuel? Blower?

2. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

I'm not the expert on this but there was an sdra car that was built many moons ago that was a lightweight flathead powered car, the one and only season it competed in he took the championship. Some of the other fellows might have more information hopefully.

3. bobw

bobw

Bob Huberty in Wisconsin run in the 11.60's, and maybe quicker with his slightly out of the rules flathead powered HA/GR. Fuel injection on alcohol. Street tires. Leaves in second gear. He really has it dialed in. I'm hoping to match his performance with my modern 300 Ford 6 at the Meltdown Drags this summer.

If you close your eyes when he stages and runs you would swear you are not hearing a flathead.