Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead fan belt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiro, Aug 20, 2013.

1. chiro

chiro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, it's a lame question, but it will save me many trips back and forth to the only semi-close parts house that has a guy with a brain behind the counter trying to get it right.

I have a 59AB flatty. Trimmed off the front sheave of the crank pulley to clear the cross-member of my AV8 and am going to run a generator mounted radiator fan and a single belt to drive the water pumps and generator.

Anybody have the correct belt length or even a number who has done a similar set-up?

Thanks,

Andy
  2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

im sure you already know, but :
    just get some 1/2 nylon rope and string it around the all the pulleys, and measure the overall length. since i believe those accept a 5/8 belt it will be close.
  3. chiro

chiro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Yeah, I've done that before and it always requires several trips back and forth to the parts house. Like I said in the original post, the only place near me with a guy that has a brain behind the counter really isn't all that close. In fact, he's an hour away. LOL
  4. RB35

RB35 Member

I've been dealing with the local NAPA for some time and they know that I'm a "hobbyist", not a paid mechanic. I do the rope thing and they'll give me several belts to try and then do the paperwork for the one that fits when I bring them back. I don't have to leave the wife there anymore as collateral either. (Or they don't want me to?)
    RB
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this might help, sorry for the poor pic, probably stolen from Ford Barn.......:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. GreenMonster48

GreenMonster48 Member

I've danced this dance before with my flathead. The replacement part fan belt wasn't even close to the original one. I just went to my local lawnmower place and grabbed every belt within a few inches of what I measured, then returned the ones I didn't need next time. The ol' lawnmower belt has held up now for hundreds of miles.