Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finned valve covers did they make them for mopar 318/360s?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, May 25, 2005.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

did cal custom make valve covers or any other company for the mopar 318/360? Is there a place to get them? anyone have a pair?

TOKYO?? did you send me a pair of those for your kanada stash?

Tuck

2. dv8

dv8

I had a set that I sold for $30 at the swap last year. They looked like the Cal-Customs, but I'm not sure what brand they were.

3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Not to hijack, but how about the 383's

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I've seen finned "vintage" valve covers for both the 318/340/360 family and the 383/440 (b/rb) family.

5. All V-8 mopars had custom valve covers made for them at one point or another. Its a good thing too, because small block mopar valve covers are fugly.

And no, I don't have any small block stuff.

6. 55olds88

55olds88

seems they musta mate of mine down here has some nice looking ones on his 318, not too sure of the brand though.... they look good and old too.

7. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

how about big block stuff

8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Its for a customers car-

he just bought a vintage intake for his 360- he wants it to look as old as possible... but those old rounded finned valve covers would RULE-

Tuck

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Offy repops finned valve covers for B/RBs, but they cost. $250 if I'm not mistaken, and because the demand is so low, there is a wait of like 3-4 months for em too since they only cast them sporadically.

The Offy valve covers may or many not be 6 bolt too. If they are 4 bolt, then you can just drill the other 2 yourself.

Call Frank and Carol at Chrome-it, they can special order them. 1-570-374-5103. You won't deal with nicer people.

10. gierhed

gierhed

I am pretty sure I have a set I will check tomorrow, and send pics.

Gierhed

11. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

I have two sets of MTs - they are squared-off & have room for roller rockers. One set is on my V8 Z car; I was planning to use the other on my pickup. I also have a set that are much more rounded; I haven't researched their origin yet.
    MIGHT sell one set of 'em...
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

12. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

heres my 318 edelbrocks........nummy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Back around 65 Plymouth had some factory finned valve covers on the 273s. They may have been steel covers with a finned thing attached, haven't seen a set in years.

Is the 70s, you could get Cal Custom alumium finned covers for big blocks. You could buy some MTs for both small block and big block. When the Direct Connection program came about around 74 they offered cast alumium finned vcs for all chrysler motors. The Mopar performance program also had finned alumium covers as does the current Mopar program.

The old 4 bolt big block cover production ended around 63 or 64, so any 4 bolt bb vc would either have to be repos or traditionals. The 273 VC were the first dress up vc I ever heard of for small blocks because they were the first small blocks. Before the 273 you either had a slant 6, a flat head 6, a flat 8, a poly V8, a raised block or a low block big block, or either a version of the early Hemi or the new 426 Hemi. Gene

14. Your can check my "box"...

i had something finned in there...

tok

15. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Yes cal custom made them for Small and Big block mopes.

I have 1 set and maybe able to come up with one more I will keep your post and let you know.Hard to come buy though.
    [​IMG]

16. Rooster

Rooster

Like was said, the 273 Super Commando engines had sumtin like that. Black crinkle finish steel covers with aluminum fins attached to the top. They had two alum pieces witha breather in the center. I've got a set on "loan" which just mean my buddy has never given em back... I got some no name ones a guy pulled out from under a pine tree when I asked about his Charger last year.

17. No super in it. Just 273 Commando for Plymouth(Barracuda) and 273 Charger for Dodge(Dart). Besides the steel vc with aluminum heatsinks, they also had a chrome unsilanced cake pan aircleaner.

[​IMG]

18. Tell me more about these headers! Custom? What motor?

19. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

They are off a s/comp roadster small bock mopar.Laying in my buddies garage not bein used so now they are. I am gonna try to extend the collector a bit with some bolt on turn outs and run them with a slide in baffle.The motor I am puttn in the truck came outta my S/Street Daytona and ran 10.50 @ 125mph so I didnt want to choke her down. I would love to have her finished for the hamb drags but then I dont know how hard it would be gettin thru tech.
    sorry Didnt mean to hijack your post
    Thanks Shoe

20. gierhed

gierhed

Here are the smallblock ones I have, they do need to be cleaned up a bit. But should polish up just fine. Also have a slightly used set of the newer black ribbed Mopar Performance ones off my race car. Let me know if your interested.

21. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

These covers kinda look like the old wieand covers that were made and I think super shops use to carry somethin that looked like those.If you are sellin them and Tuck dont want them let me know I might be interested and that is only if tuck does not want them as this is his post.

Shoe

22. old beet

old beet

Try my friend; Craig Fountain [email protected] I think he makes Cal Custom style covers. Also air scoops and E and J lites, fined brake drums and more.........OLDBEET

23. hemi

hemi

A little off the beaten path here, but does anyone make any sheetmetal valve covers for a 360? The squared off, tigged aluminum ones? My buddy has a killer set on his SBC in the drag car, but we couldn't find any for a Mopar.

Those Edelbrock ones RULE.

Tuck, I'd poke around Ebay...

24. LUKESTER

LUKESTER

Moroso has the fabricated aluminum 318-360 valve covers listed in their catalog, and they are damn sexy, the moroso SBM valve covers are probably the best looking fabricated valve covers I have seen for any motor.... LUKESTER

25. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Moroso's are nice but their spendy.Also use to be a company called Unique fab or something along those lines that would build whatever you wanted.They use to run a add in the back of National Dragster.
    Shoe

26. gierhed

gierhed

Anyone interested in these things just pm me.

27. Didn't Donovan have anodized aluminum VCs back in the late 70s early 80s? Sort of like the Moroso.

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

29. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

There's a 340 Mopar motor sitting in the mud at a local junkyard with an old Edelbrock dual plane intake on it...and a set of finned aluminum valve covers! The place is kinda flakey, though...one day stuff like that is for sale, another day it isn't...gotta catch 'em in the right mood I guess!

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Kinda hijacking here but IMHO,340's are waaaaay better than a sbc for a rod....ultimate street screamer.....with a manual tranny behind them.Problem is,there VERY expensive to build......340 six-pack,4-gear.....lovely.
    I never did like a 318 or 360....kinda like a second cousin.just my opinion though.