Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon intake question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Derek Mitchell, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Which Offy part do I need? Summit lists 2 of them, but says for 170 and up. I believe I have a 144 in there, but dont know where to find block numbers.

Any help?

2. 60-63 144
    63-65 177
    65- 200

3. 60 only available with 144. 61-64 available with 144 or 170. http://mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/173_0312_ford_six_perform_guide/ Check out www.tffn.net (The Ford Falcon News) Color of valve cover and air breather: 144-Ford medium Blue 170-Red/Orange 200-Red/Orange (after June 1, 1965 production date entire engine Ford Medium Blue) Thanks, Kurt

4. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Umm...You do know that the Falcon six featured a cast-in log manifold, meanting that you had to literally cut off the stocker, mill up and adaptor plate, and furnace braze the plate to the block so's you'll have something to bolt a manfold to, right?

The 'other' sixes produced for larger cars and light trucks had detachable manifolds; occasionally parts suppliers mix up the two. Only speedpart I've ever seen bolt onto a 144/170/200 six manifold was a 2bbl adaptor.

5. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

http://www.fordsix.com/

tons of info on this site these guys will tell you what you have and need to make it work

keith

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Offenhauser sells a 3x1 that clamps on top of the stock intake log after you bore two extra holes in it with a hole saw.

7. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Ak Miller developed a kit to put 3 carbs on any of the falcon 6s you could buy it through ford performance.It was a mix of a center 2 barrel with a 1 barrel at each end required drilling holes into the top of the intake at each end then the carb mounts bolted on using Ubolts around the manifold.Center carb had an adapter thay went between carb and manifold .Kit consisted of 3 carb mounts and linkage with instructions you supplied the carbs.Ak also installed 6 motorcycle carbs on a falcon 6 I believe thet were harley davidson but not sure of the carb source.He drilled 6 holes into outside of manifold machined 6 adapters that bolted on and mounted the carbs the carbs went straight out the side of the engine like on the bike,he later did the bike carb thing on the pinto 4 Ak loved the 4-6 mills wish I had paid more attention to his propane conversions because he could realy make some power with those.I have these articles packed away somewhere If anyone wants to pm me about these I'll try and look them up

8. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

I've never seen that!

The only 3X1 I saw was a guy who'd milled off the tops of the end of the log and bolted up an adaptor on each end to accept the 1 bbl.

9. vesparex

vesparex

Here you go:

Attached Files:

10. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

11. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Offenhauser makes 3 manifolds for the 170, 244, 250 6 cylinder engines. I can get all three from Offenhauser. Summit shows 2 manifolds because alot of Offenahuser dealers do not handle the complete line. Also, in defense of dealers, Offenhauser sometimes only makes some products once a year. This makes it extremely difficult for dealers to stock the complete line.

Attached Files:

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The top manifold looks simular to the one I was talking about developed by Ak Miller early version was 3 seperate pieces later ones are like the top pic.I will try to find my articles the origional was in hotrod back in early 60s

13. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Here is the article you are looking for.

Attached Files:

14. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Thanks for all the info on that.

So, it looks like the 5017 is the one I need, Thanks dmarv, I'll be purchasing it from you.

Everyone else, Thanks for the info, too. I'm new at this Ford stuff, so take it easy on me.

Also, what other motors (6 cyl) are a direct bolt in for the car?

15. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Heres the Ak Miller one that was mentioned.

Attached Files:

16. 200s, and I think I've seen somewhere that 250s will fit (you have a Falcon?) with Bronco motor mounts. I have a 200 and a 4-speed I need to get rid of. Pick Your Part (pickapart.com) is having a half-price sale next weekend and a long block engine is $75, of which $15 is a core charge.

Thanks,
    Kurt

17. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

So from what I understand, a "U" code is a 170. "U" is the only number in the VIN on the vehicle, so I guess thats a 170.

But the engine was blue and the valve cover was red and blue at various times, so, is there anything on the motor that will tell me what it is?

18. Powerband

Powerband

Yeah, If you go over to the FordSixPerformance forums and do a search you will find all the info you need and more. This was taken from there:

" 1.the earlier 144/170 types from C1- C3 with 1.3" holes (660 cc intake runner)
    2. the air injection 1966 head casting with 1.3" hole (got a photo!)
    3. the first of the integrated emissions heads in 1969 (860 cc ) Flat top
    4. the first of the big hole 250 heads in 1970 (which were not inserted) but had 1.5" holes ,
    5. then a mix of large runner 74 (inserted seats)
    6. the better bigger exhast 3.3/4.1 heads (seats which were inserted)
    7. and the revision in late 82, which had a different shape, and a huge intake runner volume)."
    UNQUOTE

The question of 144 or 170 is not important for the Offy intake spec. the HEAD casting numbers will tell you what genre of Offy adapter you need. The adapters need to fit the type of integral "LOG" manifold the head uses. Many of these heads were swapped or changed out so you need to verify the head casting #'s which are on the top of the log behind the carb flange. Early "logs" are tubular and small. Middle and later years are round, flattopped or octagonal. I have an Offy 3X1 for a '71 Maverick 170 (head casting=D0XX) which won't fit the D7XX head on my 250. There were some early Offy 2X1 adapters for the earliest log heads that are rare and not available.

The engine casting numbers which are on the passenger side of most blocks will tell you the genre of engine block but not CID. The freeze plugs on the passenger side of the block are helpful also. 5 freeze plugs and it is a 200 block, three freeze plugs and it can be a 144 or 170. The 250 engines look similar but are @ 1-1/2" taller and wider and are ID'd by the use of a 4 bolt waterpump where the 144, 170, and 200's use 3 bolt pumps (also much different damper and bell setup). The later 200's and 250's after @ '70 use the same head. The earlier years used same head but different combustion chamber sizes and different valve sizes.

19. flatoz

flatoz

just get an aussie 2V head, many of these would outrun a stock windsor really wake the engine up.

we have an affliction with inline 6's here, one of our current falcons has a turbo inline 6 producing. 320hp. quite a rocket.

20. ray

ray
    from colorado

got a legible copy of that article? is that an Ak Miller setup? i'm in the middle of setting up one of those setups on my falcon, until now i've found little info on the style i have with the individual adaptors. it's nice to actually know what i have! this project keeps getting stalled, i have the head machined for the adaptors, installed with block off plates right now while i work out a progressive linkage that isn't quite so monkey motion. i'm tying the secondary carbs together for more consistant throttle action.