Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fairlane Victoria vs. Crown Victoria

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Preacher, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Actually, a 55 Victoria does not have the low roof like a 56.It has the high roof.55 Crowns were the first low roof that was carried over to the 56 models for all Vics and Crowns.Check his photo and see its the high roof Victoria,not the low roof Crown.
    I used to have a 55 Crown Vic Glasstop.They were like riding in a greenhouse.I would rather have a convertible.

Hnstray and i.rant like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Didn't the Crown Vics have a curtain or shade that covered the inside of the glass top? If I remember correctly it stored under the inside chrome roof trim. But that was the late 60's early 70's and I may not be remembering it quite right.

3. My father worked at Ford's Atlanta Assembly Plant from 1952 until he retired in '82. He referred to Crown Vic's as "Easter Baskets," said that's what all the guys at the plant called them due to the "basket handle" trim. '55 Victoria was a 2 door HT, plain and simple. It had the high roofline and used the same windshield and back glass as a '55-'56 2 door or 4 door sedan. '56 Victorias used the same windshield as convertible and Crown Vic and same back glass as a Crown Vic. Ford also offered a 4 door Victoria in '56 (Only a 2 door Vic was offered in '55)--my aunt Earline Carnes had one, beautiful car, peach and white 2 tone, Thunderbird engine option and Fordomatic. She traded it for a '63 Falcon. Would love to have that car now, more rare than a Crown Vic.

4. spiertb

spiertb

I had a '54 Skyliner with the plexiglas roof insert, it did have a nylon-like material cover that snapped in place to reduce the effects of the sun. It was Coral in color like the car. Syl

5. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Like em all but partial to th hardtop vic:)

Attached Files:

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

remember behind that Crown trim is a angled B post

a Crown Victoria is a fancy two door sedan

7. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I prefer a 56' Fairlane Victoria 2 door hardtop. Peacock Blue (Darker shade of Turquoise) and white, with a 292 Fordomatic.

8. Squablow

Squablow

In '54 it was an option on the Vic and 55-56 it was on the Crown Vic, there wasn't ever a 55 or 56 glasstop that wasn't also a Crown, was there? If there was, I certainly haven't ever seen a picture of one.

I'm shocked to learn that a '55 Victoria hardtop uses the same windshield as a post car, is that really true? I've never heard that before and I had a '55 2 door hardtop.

9. Correct, and thanx for catching that.

1954 CRESTLINE SKYLINER
    1955/56 FAIRLANE CROWN VICTORIA SKYLINER.

The 55/56 CROWN was available with and without the transparent front roof section.

Attached Files:

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

No, it's a low roof hardtop with a roof crown on it.

11. hbwoody

hbwoody

You're right, only the '56 victoria had a low roof like the crown I stand corrected. Thanks

12. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

this is one of those why they make fords and chevys comments, but I really dislike the looks of 55 fords. Those rounded parking lights and the circular looks of the radio on the dash board drives me nuts. I however love the 56's plus with the addition of the 312 that car could move. I guess it is the same distinction for me with the 49-50 fords compared to the 51 fords.

The 56's are worth a decent amount more than the 55's due to lower overall production numbers as well.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Current (Feb 2011) Old Cars Price Guide Values for '55 Vic and '55 Crown Vic

'55 Victoria 2 dr hdtp
    1. $25,000
    2. $17,500
    3. $11,250
    4. $5,000
    5. $3,000
    6. $1,000

'55 Crown Victoria 2 dr hdtp
    1. $39,000
    2. $27,300
    3. $17,550
    4. $7,800
    5. $4,680
    6. $1,560

As far as windshields go, the '55 Crown Vic and Convertible and the '56 Vics (including Crown and 2 and 4 dr hdtps)and convertible used the same glass (Hollander 1412). All the rest, including '55 non-crown Victoria, used sedan glass (1411).

14. drew56cus

drew56cus

Hi all, sorry to revive an old thread but I was wondering if anyone could give me some more details on the 'B'pillar of the crown Victoria?
    - Is the side door glass different to a '56 viccy hardtop? Does the door glass seal against the B pillar? I presume that the rear edge would have to lean forward to match the B pillar?
    - Is the rear side glass (behind the tiara) the same or different to a hardtop? What does it seal against? Does it have stainless trim all around it like on a HT?
    - I guess the extension of all these questions is, if you cut the B-pillar of the crown vic out and filled the trim holes, would it be any different to a 56 viccy HT?
    The reason I ask is that I love the '56 viccy hardtops and was wanting to do something a little different, by building one with a carson top. I actually found a sunliner for sale in Australia a few months ago but it was pretty rough - lots of pop rivets and sikaflex holding it together and a crash on the front for a not-very-low price. There is now a '55 crown vic for sale that may be a better candidate for my custom - I was wondering if I could remove the B pillar and open up the side and modify the side glass and trim to suit the new roof. Unfortunately with Oz being so large and the cars being rare here I can't just hop in the car and drive to take a look. HAMB to the rescue?!
    Thanks, Drew

15. drew56cus

drew56cus

Does anyone know about these windows and B-pillar? Otherwise I may be up for a plane trip and crossing my fingers.
    Cheers, Drew

16. The sun roof or dome? was available in the crown vic optional. The Crown weighs about 100 pounds more as I recall if weight is a concern. Higher end interior as well stock.

In '55 Both could be had with a 6 or a Y block and both Y blocks offered that year were available. I have never seen a 6 cylinder Crown Vic but from what I have read it was an option.

The door glass is like the hard top Vic and the quarter glass is not. I think that the back glass is also different but don't hold me to that.

17. drew56cus

drew56cus

I tracked down a 55 crown vic in my city today and had a look at the side glass. The side door glass has an angled rear edge to seal against the B-pillar, whereas the 56 viccy has a vertical rear edge. The rear side glass is also shaped just like the opening - but the mechanism looks like it moves forward as it rises, so I think that 56 viccy rear side glass could work with the same mechanism.
    The bit I don't understand yet is the trims on the bottom of the glass opening. The crown vic has chrome trims both inside and out that are at the same level as the rear glass frame when it is fully retracted. If I removed this trim (as in a 56 viccy which does not have it), then the side glass would be proud of the body of the car. So I am looking for close-up pics of a viccy with the glass down to see how it looks and works.
    I am basically trying to figure out if I can just chop the B pillar out of the crown vic (sacrelige!) and make it a Victoria. I love that pillarless look.
    Cheers, Drew

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

If Ford had made a Customline Victoria in '55 using the Crown Vic roof and glass, it might have looked like this:
    !!1000LoWWLite.jpg !430Roundup.jpg
    ...but they didn't, so I did. It's a '56 Fairlane Vic with some '55 Ford Customline bits and some other stuff from Olds, Merc, Pontiac, Lincoln and T-Bird.

19. drew56cus

drew56cus

Don't worry 50Fraud, your car has been in my folder of fave Fords for a long time now! Very nice.
    Would I be correct in saying that there is a hint of rear quarter glass poking its head up above the sheetmetal in those pics? In which case, if I ditched the 55 crown trim that runs along the top of the rear quarter all the way to the tip of the rear fin, then I would have that same issue. Not that it can be too big a deal, as I have never noticed it before now.
    I guess the 'flipper' trim above the front door may also be different between a viccy and crown viccy?
    I would love it if we could nail all the little differences between the side glass and trims here...
    Cheers, Drew

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I would say that the topmost edge of the quarter window frame is just flush with the sheetmetal in the down position -- it definitely does not drop below the sheetmetal. I've never studied that area on a Crown Vic, so I can't swear that it lowers exactly as far, but I would think it does. Similarly, I can't swear the the flippers are different from Crown to non-Crown Vic, but I imagine that they differ. I wish that I could be more definitive, but I don't know anybody who owns a Crown so I can't just go look.

I started out to the garage just now, thinking that I could at least measure the length of my flippers, and forgetting that the car is away at the moment having some repair done to a door latch. Oops.

21. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Back in the day I remember people calling Crown Victorias "Jock-strap" Fords. Admittedly, that term lacks the grace of "Tiara" Fords or "Easter-Baskets." Just saying.