Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-Head Flathead Conversions - Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-Cal Speed Sacramento, Sep 5, 2012.

1. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

So, let me know if this sounds familiar ...
    I was doing some online research a few months ago on some of the lesser-know flathead OHV conversions. I've been familiar with F-Heads for a while, but this time it sparked me to start learning as much as I possibly could about them. Something about the simplicity and genius of the conversion really got me going and I started saving pictures and information on them. Everybody is familiar with the Arduns and other fully OHV conversions, but the idea of only converting half of the valve train to get just as much efficiency as needed was a brilliant idea. My interest has been piqued to the point that I was rarely researching anything else but these- anyway, here are some of my faves.

If I missed any important ones (I'm sure I did), post 'em up and give us some history!!

For those of you just joining us, here are a couple diagrams to get the basic idea of how an F-Head works:
    [​IMG]

The Roof 4-port:
    [​IMG]

The Rover:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better looking engine than a Ford Flathead V8 with an Alexander OHV conversion. If you aren't just into looks, you'll get plenty of confused looks when SBC guys see 2 carbs, 8 plugs, and 4 exhaust ports!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't find pictures of an original Crawford, but the new one for a Model A/B Ford looks fantastic!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was surprised I could not find more picture on the 21-stud or 24-stud Dixon conversions, but they look great!
    [​IMG]

Well, I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to Mopar- but I sure know a neat set-up when I see one. This is for a Mopar flat-6.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Ferguson head was for a Chevrolet flat four and damn it must have looked good running through-and-through!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know why I found this little Jeep F134 motor so interesting- I may have been because it was the only engine I found that came from the factory with an F-Head or perhaps it was just the idea that they kept the design up into the 1960's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

j-jock likes this.
  2. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prior to beginning my hunt, I didn't even know somebody was in the process of reproducing the Rajo head for the Model A/B bangers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been told this is a Ramar for a Ford banger, but it doesn't completely match all of the information I have found on them. Perhaps you can shed some light on them? Also, are those oiling tubes on the side going into the boss for the fuel pump?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if you don't want to deal with all 8 of those cylinders, there's an equally attractive set-up for the As and Bs as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    j-jock likes this.
  3. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the Roof head for Ford bangers was fortunate to be produced long enough to evolve. You can see a couple different castings which would allow different intakes and even a full OHV version. These are now being reproduced, but in a very small quantity.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Smith "Jitterbug" head is one of my favorites! No water jackets, just exhaust ports, and a very basic valve train. The only way I think you could keep this from melting would be to run alcohol! I've read that a version was made for the bangers, but I haven't been able to find any pictures or information to confirm it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, with that, I am tired of uploading pictures. Enjoy!!

j-jock likes this.
  4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, one of the other Alexander F heads lives in this...

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      292.7 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      221.4 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      259.2 KB
      Views:
    Bandit Billy and j-jock like this.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Ferguson head you identify as being on a Chevy Flathead four may be in error. i say this because both Chevy bangers I have are overheads from the factory. Admitted one of mine has a 25 Olds head. Years ago I had a Ferguson "F" head converted Ford/Ferguson tractor motor. At one time they were semi popular as Midget power plants. I agree with you about the Willys F head. They also made a six cylinder. I worked on enough of the Bangers when I was in the Army. The Edgy F head for the Chrysler six is I think a one off from Earl Edgerton of Santa Rosa and I have seen it at Bonneville in his push truck. Pretty neat.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  6. Fogger

Fogger

The Alexander OHV conversion is beautiful and so is Don Orosco's Riley.

7. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

I was actually thinking something similar. I know the Chevys were a popular OHV engine and that Neal Jern is making the spacer plate to adapt one to a Ford. The thing that really through me for a loop was the bell housing and starter flange cast into the block.

8. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

ahhh this is awesome

9. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

wasnt the first ohv for chevy in 28?

10. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I believe your RAJO is an "I" head not an "F".

11. Jagman

Jagman

Rolls Royce used an F head 6 cyl engine in the Wraith and Silver Wraith right up until the mid 60's....

[​IMG]

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No. The last OHV banger was in '28 I believe. The '28 has two exhaust ports and the distributor relocated compared to the earlier models. The '25 Chevy block is said to be strongest as it doesn't have the hole in the center main web to locate the distributor. Of course the '25 Olds head has three exhaust ports so it's two up on the early Chevy and one up on the '28. Now when we start talking about Plymouth and Dodge banger OHV conversions that's more in my line.

13. Awesome looking conversion don't see to many of them

14. moefuzz

moefuzz

Here you go,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

15. alchemy

alchemy

Are the Riley V8 heads F heads? Doesn't the intake enter through the head, in one small port per side? We need to see pics of a disassembled Riley. Ask Mr. Orosco to remove a valve cover for us.

16. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Just for shits, the Willys F-head was also made in a 161 6 cyl version.

[​IMG]

I belive the above is from an article about aroad race car called Excalibur,
    built on a Henry J or a Jag Chassis?? I think?

Jeff

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm familiar with the Willys F head 134 engine.It was a way to get a little more power from an obsolete design,small company with limited engineering and money.
    F head is neither man or beast

18. I have a Charlie Yapp Reilly on my "A"

Thanks for the pictures and drawings

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Most of those photos are of motors in speedways museum, if you had any question s the Internet doesn't seem to want to answer I'm sure you could call the museum, they always seem to be great about answering questions in person anyways.

20. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I don't believe Chevrolet ever made a flat head engine.

You may be meaning the first 6 cylinder and the last 4 cylinder, both OHV

21. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Rich is correct

The Ferguson F heads that I know of were made by Robert Roof and I believe Pop Dreyer also made one. The name Ferguson was applied to the engine but is was purely the Ford tractor engine. Ferguson was the English hydraulic 3 point hitch developer that Ford was in bed with...temporarily

22. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

23. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Nope 28 was the first 6. Chevys have been overhead from day 1 never made a flathead.

24. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

And the OP missed one factory F head Rolls-Royce.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That's what I had figured, I didn't mean any bad vibes towards this thread. I dig the shit out of it actually.

I just thought for questions that may be hard to answer via the hamb or google such as "are those external oil lines right there in this photo?" if you really wanted to find out what they are calling the person who has that motor may be a good way of finding out.

26. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

In an old issue of Hot Rod magazine I saw Hemi heads that bolt onto a ford flat head. Anyone else remember this?? I dont remember which issue but ill have to dig it out.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Ardun? Do a search.

28. nzhotrod

nzhotrod
    from Auckland

29. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

"I don't believe Chevrolet ever made a flat head engine.

You may be meaning the first 6 cylinder and the last 4 cylinder, both OHV"

gotcha. thanks for the info. had some old timer tell me otherwise once. wont be listening to him anymore haha

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Except that i own two 28 Chevy engines and they are both 4 cylinder engines. I believe 29 was the beginning of the 6

bct likes this.