Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Sideways, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

What do you guys think about EZ Wiring Harness. I have a 54 chevy and would like to put a new Harness in it. I don't have the money to go all out. They say they are $185.00 for 21 circuit harness. I know thats more than I will ever need. Anyways they look to be not that hard. Just want to know what you guys think of them. As you can see it might need updated a little.!!:rolleyes:

Thanks Jim

Attached Files:

2. DILUSI

DILUSI
    Member Emeritus
    from NE KS

I used the Rebel Wire 9+3 in my 53. It was easy to install and I got it from Glenn33. He gives a discount to Hambers!

3. dragass

dragass

I'll second that on the Rebel Wire 9+3 kit.
    Installed it in my 55 and I can't say enough about the easy to follow instructions and the great tech help (if you need it).

4. Tony

Tony

I'll third the Rebel 9+3 kit. Used one in my truck.
    Quick, easy and very affordable.
    I've used many EZ kits. They work fine too, and overall are similar to the Rebel.
    BUT, by buying the Rebel, you are doing business with a HAMBer, who WILL give you whatever help you may need, along with a smooth easy deal..
    Perfect all around.

5. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i used the e z wiring harness in my 34 and it was no problem, don't think it matters what you use as long as it is a good system

6. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I also used an EZ 21 circuit in my ride, a 54 Ford, I liked it and liked the price.
    Always get more circuits than less, never know what the future might bring

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

I have installed about 5 or 6 of the ez 21 circuit kits, and have not had a problem one with any of them. But lots of heavy grounding on any wiring job, is essential for a good job...John

8. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

I'm not much into wiring.... easier the better. I see that the ez wiring harness has everything labeled every 5"s. Thats one plus for me. I haven't seen anything in the mags. about the Rebel9+3. As far as buying other things like relays and all that good stuff will I need to get that also. Like I said not into wiring, so I'm a newbie at this. Help me out if you can.

Thanks Jim

9. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Jim,
    We're not in the mags because we are a small company and can't afford the high cost of advertising. We put all of our extra cash into high quality American components for the harnesses. I suggest not using more circuits than needed...costs more and congests the underside of the dash. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at 618-395-8216.
    G

10. PatrickG

PatrickG

I've done two cars using the EZ wiring kits, both the 21 circuit, AND if you buy them from Gambino Customs, then you are STILL doing business with a hamber. :) also you'll get that Alliance discount.

The instructions are pretty straight forward, but don't forget that it's a universal kit, so you're bound to run into a problem at some point that isn't covered in the manual, and might have to do a little improvising. Having said that, If/when I do need a third harness for another project, EZ probably is what I'll buy.

11. elrobo818

elrobo818

i tried getting one from rebel wire... i needed it ASAP!... but when i called i got a answering machine saying that they were out at a car show... so i had to go with an ez wiring kit... its a good kit, but i wanted to go with rebel wire because of all the good reviews i read on here...

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

You had me at "American components "....... :D

13. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

i have never used a rebel. but i have installed at least 10 ez harnesses with no problems. i think that no matter which harness the most important part is to soulder and shrink tube all joints and connectors. takes more time but its worth it.

14. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

I just got finished installing a Rebelwire 9+3 in my 54 chevy. It was evrything I expected. This was my first total rewire and I was a little intimidated. The harness was well labeled and went in without a hitch. It really was nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. I would definitely buy from Glenn again. He answered all my questions and sent me a great product at a great price!!!

15. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

Guys, These kits are a breeze to install. I used a 21 cirq. EZ-Wire kit when I did the 6-12V conversion on my 49 Plym. Itonly took a day and was very EZ. I do agree with the above comment as long as it is a good kit and as long as it is labled every few inches you should have not issues installing it.

16. cafekid

cafekid

i use ez kits on our customer cars. and i also have one in my shoebox i like them and the kits are very user friendly i also would advise you not to use too many circuits the 12 circuit harness is plenty and also can be had from ez.

17. Gdog3225

Gdog3225
    from Tennessee

I got a ez wire in my 55 it was simple to wire up. good instructions and diagrams i thought.

18. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I've done many complete rewire jobs, and my favorite is EZ Wire. Good bang for the buck, and super quality. I don't mind using a 21 circuit kit where only a 12 circuit is required. It only costs $10-$15 more, but you get LOTS more wire that you can use in other applications, and the larger kit includes circuits (like a cigarette lighter and radio memory) that the smaller kit doesn't. So what if you cut out some wires you don't need. The biggest piece of shit I ever used was a Ron Francis kit, and it was expensive.

19. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

were a EZ wiring dealer and we putem in all our cars

20. Swifster

Swifster

Start out by figuring how many circuits you plan to run. No reason for a 21 circuit harness if you only need 12. Various companies have various amounts of circuits. Just about every wiring company, including Rebel and EZ have websites with a detailed description of the harness and circuits.

If you plan on using this car a lot, plan your harness so that it's serviceable. This means connectors. I had to look at a guys '56 Ford truck and he had everything solid wired. He didn't plan on the accident. The power board he had in the truck had to come out and when I asked about removing it, I got a deer-in-the headlights look from him.

I have my gauge cluster with the dash switches set up to a connector under the dash so that if I need to pull it, I don't have to pull individual wires, I just pull one connector. If you are running power windows or locks, do the same thing. Better a connector in the kick panel in case the doors ever need to come off.

I have a bulkhead connector at the firewall. I have a connector for the steering column. I have a connector for the dash gauges and switches. I have yet another that seperates the rear body wiring from the main harness. The back harness includes my tail lamps, back up lamps, license plate lamps, fuel sending unit and dome/courtesy lamps and switches.

Having a Studebaker, I use the pretty generic GM color coding. Making smaller harnesses may sound like a lot of work, but it isn't that much more than the harness install. The gauge harness I was able to do at my desk in the house. Same with the steering column.

The circuits I have are;
    Radio, Wipers, Turn Signals, Gauges, Brake Lights, Horn, Tail Light, Park Lights, Dash Lights, Ignition, Heat & A/C, Radio Memory, Dome Light, Hazard Flash and 2 Cigarette Lighter (Lighter & Hidden 12 Volt Outlet)

I bought a 12 circuit harness and used an add-on module for the radio memory, dome lights and the two cigarette lighters as these were constant 'on' circuits. It took three days. Once you get started you work into a rhythm going from one circuit to another. If you do put connecters in, just watch which wire goes to which pin at the connectors. The tools make the difference. I got a nice pin tool to install and remove connector pins. I also have a nice general set of electrical pliers.

21. I asked the same question when I bought an EZ simply because it was cheap.

I found some folks had problems with the wires coming loose in the fuse block, at the terminals, and it wouldn't hurt to solder them into place. That even depends which wiring harness you buy, I don't think the minifuze ones suffer from that issue.

Normally you don't solder auto wiring because the vibration it goes through in driving can lead to it cracking, but the wires don't move much at the fuse block connections short of daily driving for like 20+ years, especially if they're allowed some movement - I've soldered stereo wires in cars and it was never an issue even on sloppy installs.

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Sorry we couldn't meet your time frame, but we do go to 4-5 shows a year. Some we sponsor, some as vendors, some just to have a good time.

23. agreed! Rebel Wire, they are members, sponsors of the forum and the price is better and the quality was top notch, easy as pie to install.

24. Christopher26

Christopher26

I have a EZ wiring 21 circuit in my 51 Chevy roght now, and just finished doing another 18 circuit in a 51 Stude, cant complain, there no hitch harness', although I've heard nothing but good about rebel wires. Just my 2c.

25. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I just ordered a 14-circuit kit for my Chevy truck-rod from Rebel Wire based on what I've read here. Gotta support the fellow members!

26. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

Ive rewired a chevelle front to back with the ez harness. As long as you know the basics of wiring you'll be fine, its not hard because every wire is labeled. I did the whole car in a weekend. Just don't get intimidated by the large amount of different colored tangle spaghetti that comes out of the box.

27. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Used a 9 + 3 Rebel kit on my 48 panel, using same one on Vicki Nova's 1959 Apache...bought mine at the NSRA in Knoxville last may...Super EASY to hook up....even on that MoPaR column...

28. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

ive used ez with great success... but i think ill try a rebel next go around

29. one more for Rebel. 9+3 in my 50 Sedan

30. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

I rewired my 50 ply with ezwire... no complaints here.