Register now to get rid of these ads!

Experiences with Sherm's plating in Sacto?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, May 27, 2007.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

Hey guys:

I've heard and read good comments about's Sherm's Plating in Sacremento. I kind of like that they offer 3 different "levels" of plating; street, polished and show. What I don't know about is their cost and how they may compare to others. Sherm's appears to not provide costs until they have your parts in front of them (which I understand).
    What are your experiences with them? What plating level did you go with, how are their costs, etc.?

Thanks much, earlymopar

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

They said $5000 to do my 35 grill, my grill is nice and I know the owner of the place

3. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Not an answer directly to your question but.....since you're from the Pacific NW, try EFS Co. in Port Orchard. They have done several jobs for us and #1. Priced right #2. Done on time and #3. Great quality.

E.F.S. Co.
    8320A Barney White Rd. SW
    Port Orchard, WA 98367
    360-674-3825

No, I'm in no way affiliated with them. Good people deserve good references. There are SO many plating shop horror stories!! Good luck.

4. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks gearheadbill. I appreciate the referral and will definitely contact them.

At $5 k for a 35 grill, Sherm's would be far out of my price range. On the other hand, I'm realistic and don't expect something for nothing.

Does EFS provide any type of "ball park" estimates or do they absolutely need to have my parts first?

- EM

5. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Yeah the quality is good, use them if your rich. Now, if you have a time frame to go by, forget these guys. I've dealt with them several times and to be honest I won't use them ever again, and I 've told the rest of the people I know in the HotRod world not to use them either. They've had nothing but a fucked up attitude, put stuff off for over 4 months, and lied about delivery time....The sad part about my experience is that I was willing to pay the big bucks to have nice chrome. I give my business to Walker's plating in Shasta, Ca. Excellent work(maybe better than Sherm's), quick turn around, reasonably priced, and NICE people! Tell them I sent you.

6. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks for your honest comments 51Gringo. It's always good to hear the negative and positive experiences, especially when we're talking about the expense of plating.

I will sure contact Walker's Plating in Shasta.

- EM

7. Chopperman

Chopperman

8. beauishere

beauishere

I've used Sherm's. They will still plate SS welding. Great quality. People were alright. Didn't really stretch the schedule that much. But way expensive. Unless you're going to Detroit, the other shops mentioned will do just fine. There is a good shop in Portland. Good luck.

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

Who is the good shop in portland? I know all of the production platers but they do not touch car or bike parts. I am aware of a plater in the Mollala or Canby area (can't think of their name right now) but haven't heard anything about them. It's something like "Metal Bright".

Thanks,

- EM

10. I used them since they did John D' Augustino's CadStar. I am doing a 55 Caddy but the potmetal vent frames are the same. I had to cut them down for the chop. They welded them up and plated em. Nice work but pricey and not very quick. They look too good to put on my car now with the rest of the trim looking sub-par.

11. Wow, Their prices have gone up. Sherms plated my 35 Grille for $700.00 ten years ago. Oh yeah, everything has gone up in the last 10 years. The workmanship was fine.

12. 28rpu

28rpu

Give Tripleplate Chrome in Spokane a call. I've had them do parts in the past. Good quality, decent price. Let them know driver vs show car. 509.535.3589
    Salt Lake Chrome is another. Good people from the couple times I've dealt with them. 801.355.2864. Salt Lake hambers may know more about them.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What? Is "Street" like Korean Chrome, copper, no polish, then chrome, no nickle?? And polish? What?? And show...this makes no sense.

14. 28rpu

28rpu

Just like the difference between a 5k paint job and a 25k paint job. What can you live with. Chrome doesn't need to be Ridler quality to be good.

15. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks for the leads 28rpu.

I agree with your comment on plating quality and I don't want to pay for "Riddler quality". I just want something that is a respectable (OEM) quality and a reasonable in price. In fact, I am not going with Chrome but Copper-Nickel although the price usually isn't any different.

- EM

16. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

It looks like I missed the boat on this thread, but had to put in my two cents. I don't go around bashing people just for the hell of it, but if you ask..... Sherm's is absolutely horrible to deal with. They have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by doing your piddly little job for you. They never hit one deadline they told me, not even close. On one occasion they actually tried to double the price after starting the work. The guy quoted the price while holding the part so its not like he ran into something he wasn't expecting. When I told him that I would not pay more than the original quote he actually threw the part about 5 feet onto a work bench and told me "fine it'll be done in a week" The only reason I was at the shop was because the part was supposed to have been done two weeks before.

17. jeyroz

jeyroz

Called Sherm's about plating the front and rear bumpers from my '64 Pontiac and they turned the work down suggesting that I call another shop. They said that they only do show quality plating - I never indicated that I wasn't prepared to pay top dollar for the work. I found it to be a really interesting judgement call to make over the phone.

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

I find them as the best there is in this area. The work is great and the employees are real craftsmen too. They are a small but great quality firm. I send some things to them (Like a '50 Buick Grille with small dings) and it comes back looking better than factory new. Not cheap but you do get what you pay for in my opinion.
    Normbc9

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Call Ogden Chrome, grate work fast and they pay for shipping BOTH ways. did a great job for me 800-453-3007