Register now to get rid of these ads!

EELCO 6x2 Fuel Block Mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Aug 28, 2009.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, so I just picked up this EELCO 6x2 fuel block/rail and noticed there's very little bulk to drill and tap for mounting. For those of you using this type, I sure would like to see what some of you have done.

I thought about hard plumbing it so it's self-supporting, but I have some flexible fuel line that I would really like to use.

Any input is appreciated! Couldn't find any examples.

The rail...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. make a "L" braket with identical holes that would allow the lines to pass through but be secured when fastened tight. the bracket could rivetted to the firewall and be completely hidden at the same time almost giving it a floating look

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, I should point out that it's getting mounted parallel to the manifold. Like this one...

[​IMG]

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I use the same Eelco fuel log on my Model A Pickup...oops..I use it on DDS, but can be done the same way..I made up real short aluminum hard lines w/ AN fittings on the driver side carbs and braided lines that go across to the passenger carbs..It supports the whole setup great and does well w/ constant removal track side..........Littleman

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the same fuel block, but with hardlines, so I'm assuming no brackets to support it.

[​IMG]

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Seller's is back in business. I am sure that dude could whip you up something rad that would blow everyone's mind.

It's a nice piece so I would think long and hard my friend. Anyone ever mount a 6 pot block to the firewall and run the lines out from there??? Might be cluttered or at least should be reserved for show rod type cars, but prove me wrong!!!

If it's aluminum, could you take a 1-2" flat stock 1/8" aluminum and tig weld it to the back? The bead blast the whole thing again and use real or fake copper rivets to fasten it securely to the firewall???

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dave!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oops, now that I am looking at in scale the firewall mount was dumb. I like the one you posted Scooter but I think I would try to get that sucker tucked up as close to the carbs as possible so that it does not disturb the all important HEMI vavle cover. Cleaner looking, but I don't know dick about performance so I am speaking solely from a design stand point.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Check out Marks Coupe. Self supporting..

Attached Files:

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Enough said, just copy what Mr. Ford has going because that engine look clean and from what I heard, it runs like bat out of hell.

Although I will say that the EELCO piece is a much nicer one then I have ever seen.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought about using having tabs TIGed on. May end up going that direction. We'll see. There has to be a simple solution for this.

I have entirely too many things going on around these carbs to do 6 individual hoses form the firewall. If it were hard plumbed it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal. I'm pretty set on running this length-wise.

My plan was to hard line into the fuel block and then run flexible from the block to each carb.

EDIT! WOW! You guys are quick!!! I forgot about Mark's setup. So no issues with cracking hoses or anything like that?

12. swifty

swifty

Weld 2 or 3 pieces of aluminium bar bent to suit to the underside of the log and hold it in place with your intake manifold mounting bolts then you can run your flexible lines to all 6 carbs. If you keep it low and with those big-arsed hemi valve covers no-one will see the brackets.

swifty

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's pretty much EXACTLY how I want to run it. Thanks Paul!

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about a couple of long rigid tabs mounted to the intake bolts (or any other convenient location)that would extend up to the mounting location for the block. The ends of these tabs would have holes in the ends big enough so the hose nipples could be slipped through the tabs and threaded into the fuel block. This would mount the block with some flexibility but still a positive location. No welding, drilling or tapping of the fuel block required.

Frank

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, I took some quick pictures. I think this will give a better idea of my concerns. Tricky arrangement. I have to work around the linkage, so if it lays down too much I might have an issue...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Henry Ford

Henry Ford
    from USA

Here's how I did mine with hard line, of course it is only a 4x2 set-up. You may not have room down the center. The intake is a rare one for small block Ford

Attached Files:

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, essentially using the fittings as locating pins. Been thinking about this... Liking it.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

TIG weld some mounting ears to it.....

19. Hardline it. It will look way better.

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I don't think so...I'll ask him.

21. jj mack

jj mack

Sorry to Hijack...but what is the story on the Demons? I like how you removed the logo!!!!

How much clearance did you gain?

JJ

22. jj mack

jj mack

Oh and looks like Scooter got his camera back!!!! WoooHOOOO!!!

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! Yes I did.... FINALLY!!

24. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I would be concerned about hard lines for support of the fuel log. Vibration may cause the lines to crack, with nothing supporting the log..
    Your creative, build what you like..
    Duane.

25. See if you can find some "Bulkhead" fittings,
    NPT male to JIC male, in the appropriate sizes.

The idea is, your mounting bracket gets held by the bulkhead fitting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, decided to hard line it with steel lines and then evaluate the situation for bracketry. I'll run a flexible hose between my fuel regulator (mounted to the firewall) and the fuel log so it is free to move with the engine.

So... school me on hard lines... I'm thinking 5/16" lines with DOT style "long nuts".

1) Can I use standard brake lines?
    2) Are standard 45* flare fittings fine for the application since it's pretty low pressure?
    3) Can't seem to find flare fittings for my Holley 94's that don't require me to rethread the inlet to 1/4" NPT. Is there someone that sells a fitting that requires no mods to the carb top?

27. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Hey, Scoot, don't make it so difficult. Just do like I did on the "Atomic Punk" ran 5/16" hard line to the carbs but before flairing sheathed them with the 3/8" reinforced line for effect and color. Ask Aaron how they are doing. Remember the "KISS" theory. I have the special fittings that the Holley 94 requires. Give me a call.

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Just sent you a PM when you were typing this! Thanks for the info! Guess I PM'd the right guy! HAHA!

GREAT idea about sheathing them! Did he post a thread about it???

29. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

I make fuel rails in different configurations and have been using small rubber coated clamps to mount my firewall rails. Maybe you could make a simple mounting tab, say, from the carb base or simular and use a couple of these clamps to hold the rail. They work pretty slick and do absorb some vibration. I also have mounted a long 6x2 and 8x2 with soft clear tube and have had no problems as of yet. The 6x2 in the pic is on my wife's coupe and has been trouble free for 2 years now. Also have hard brass line on my 2x2 setup on my flathead and have had zero problems with it. Just my .02

Attached Files:

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OKAY... SPILL IT! What are those hose clamps on your wife's 6x2 setup???