Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ed " Big Daddy " Roth's Autographed Actual Shop Door Can Be Yours !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Mar 22, 2024.

1. ...It's more comfortable on the bed itself.:D:):D:):D:) 69243114_2468339023381113_5755506169506430976_n.png

2. BJR

BJR

Coming from down south that is possible! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

3. Ziggster

Ziggster

So the real rat in this mess is the ex. Wonder what she got for it?

Sharpone likes this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If I remember correctly it sold on ebay in 2009 or 10 for something like 1300 bucks. The description said painted by Roth but did not claim it was from his shop. I reported the auction to ebay several times as being mis represented but it did not do any good

5. JD Miller

JD Miller

Id like to know the name of the certain biker club member that Ed beat up when they tried to raid his shop

:cool:

Sharpone likes this.
  6. JD Miller

JD Miller

Rat Fink postter on Pee Wee Herman. On the Blue wall to the right, at current start time, right at "the Spider" part

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    VANDENPLAS and Sharpone like this.
  7. I also knew that story about the door. Didn't know the names of the people involved, but had heard about the "Door Story". Stuff like this comes up all the time, and I usually ask Darryl Roth about it. Dishonest people suck....

8. WHAT!!!!? HUGE difference between "ROTH's Shop Door" and door signed by Roth! That's like Carol Shelby's car and a car "signed" by Carol Shelby! If you can't see the difference, you're a dumbass!!! hahaha

9. My dad went nose to nose with Ed, more than once, when I would ditch school to hang out at his shop. They never came to blows, but it was close...lol. We also went to church together, so it made for fun times at church.

The37Kid, SS327, Outback and 8 others like this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Proof is everything! Back in the early 2000s my wife and I were at Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale. We were looking at the outdoor exhibits when we heard beep, beep, beep and realized it was a golf cart backing up. Before we could get out of the way, the cart backed into my wife. The driver jumped out immediately and was apologizing when the passenger got out and I realized it was Carroll Shelby. I said "I wish I knew that you would be here, my friend has a 350 Shelby and would like his glove box door autographed". Mr. Shelby replied, "tell him just to sign it himself, if I signed every air cleaner, glove box and radiator shroud that have my autograph, my arm would fall off". His driver gave me his business card and told me to send the glove box door to him and he would get it signed. He then said "we know many of the car parts that Carroll was supposed to autograph are phony". You need a picture of Mr. Shelby autographing your car, that is your proof.

SS327, vinfab, Outback and 10 others like this.
  11. ..What a great story! Love it.

Ziggster and Sharpone like this.
  12. JD Miller

JD Miller

Did you know Doyle at Eds shop?

Sharpone likes this.
  13. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Glad I still have by pizza box lid that Ed did for me back in the early 90s.

As a young buck, I stood politely in line to meet him at the crack of dawn (at a car show) HOARDES of people pushed past to get autographs or buy swag...
    Ed noticed and asked ME to help him out. I worked for him ALL DAY. In the down times, we BS'd about anything and everything.
    He was the BIGGEST idol I had ever met up to that time, and as a kid with a very rough upbringing, he was EXTREMELY kind to me.
    We stayed in touch, I saw him several times after that and even got to know Dennis. PLUS... all of the cool old time Kustomizers, drag racers, and other car guys that gave me the time of day when I was with Ed... I am forever in his debt!

Heard LOTS of cool stories and some very intimate and obscure stuff from the man hisself (and Dennis).

It's just a R.F. sketch on the back of a pizza box lid (how THAT happened is cool in and of itself)... but I treasure it! And I can GUARANTEE mine is real. I watched him draw it!

14. I was just a kid, so I remember Dennis, Howard, Von Dutch, and he had a couple guys who would be there. My family was really close with the Roths. His first wife, Sally was my mom's best friend. They were Aunt Sally and Uncle Ed to me, Godparents. I'm still close with Dennis, Charlie and Darryl, cause we grew up together. Just had lunch with Darryl a couple weeks ago.

15. Bob- Was waiting for you to comment on things........;)

16. Sharpone

Sharpone

Ha Ha Ha Stumped him You found the one thing he doesn’t have an answer for - Your question

BJR likes this.
  17. autobilly

autobilly

That first issue of Chopper was the first chopper magazine ever published. That'd be cool to get!

Sharpone likes this.
  18. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Cool Shop Door! In the early 80's My Cousin that is a local Pin Striper "Ruben" would attend the "REAL RAT FINK" Christmas Parties in Fullerton on Fender Way, at local striper "Kim Dedic's shop. It was only about 30 guys with Pizza, Beer AND Art! In those days Ed Roth, Von Dutch, Kenny Youngblood, Steve Stanford, and several LA area local artist. It was really a cool time to meet all the guys you grew up reading about in magazines! I also would run into Ed at the Fresno Auto Rama and chat with him at his booth, Good Times!
    CLICK: Swap O Rama | Famoso Dragstrip

tractorguy, trulyvintage and Sharpone like this.
  19. Speedster

Speedster

My friend Terry worked at, and ultimately owned the business next door to Ed Roth’s original shop on Slauson. He was there when Roth moved out, and took a look inside the shop after Ed left because he was considering renting the building. Terry told me that the interior walls of the shop were covered with concept drawings done by Roth, including RF. Terry decided not to rent the building, and he said that a few days later the property owner had a painter come in and give all the interior walls a fresh coat of white paint for a new tenant. So, if the story I was told is true, some of Ed Roth’s original art is still on the walls of that building.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  20. Sharpone

Sharpone

The true story of the door is a very good story IMO almost as good as if the door actually came off Roth’s shop, the sad thing is that someone may buy a lie and with it the history is distorted.
    Dan

21. I had the opportunity to talk
    with Trixie Roth today ....

@

IMG_0199.jpeg

Jim

22. 5window

5window

And??

23. I emailed Miss Trixie a link
    to this thread.

Jim

24. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I have a Bridge that is striped by Von Dutch For Sale.....

25. Please read this post completely
    before you post any further comments.

A week has passed.
    The auction is set for April 20th, 2024.

Trixie Roth sent me this description
    from the auction site:

IMG_0209.jpeg

In my opinion - my friend bought a
    door and a story - he believes that story.

There have been great posts about
    Ed Roth - out of respect for his memory
    please continue with those.

With the passing of time - the principals
    have also passed - no one who actually
    witnesses the creation of the door and
    Ed Roth signing the door - have commented.

To be fair - we have two conflicting
    stories here - so how can this be resolved
    in an equitable manner ?

By having firsthand commentary
    posted here from those folks who
    visited Ed Roth's shop in Maywood
    California as to whether they recall
    the door in their visits.

So - I am asking members to
    reach out to the hot rod community
    for firsthand commentary.

Please keep this thread open.
    Please keep this thread positive.
    Please do not post attacks or
    negative comments.

Thank You

Jim

26. Robert " Bob " Williams.
    Worked as an artist for Ed Roth.

Per his agent on March 28th, 2024
    Bob Williams says a door like that
    was never at the Maywood Shop
    when he worked there.

Jim

27. tim troutman

tim troutman

20240328_213228[1].jpg my thoughts are Roth signed a lot of stuff. I got this at the world of wheels Indy. he was there with a gas powered radio flier type wagon . maybe the Buddha Buggy?

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Buddah Buggy was a 59 Impala by Bill Hines, wasn't it?

Sharpone and Moriarity like this.
  29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Buddah Buggy was a 59 Impala HT by Bill Hines, wasn't it?

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I "conspired" with Ed himself for this:
    20190211_084401.jpg
    20190211_084737.jpg

I've told the story before, but anyways...

loudbang, scotty t, GZ and 1 other person like this.