Register now to get rid of these ads!

echo cans vs pencil tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46fatford, Aug 25, 2011.

1. I'm in the process of building my 46 coupe and would like to know the sound differences between echo cans and pencil tips. I'm using 1 3/4 pipe and 18" brockman mellowtone steel packs on a mildly hopped up flatty. Does anyone have any sound clips of flatty equipped cars with pencil tips and perhaps another with echo cans? I'm looking to get that mellow flatty burble at idle, but be able to rap the pipes, a little crackle on decel is good too. I just don't want the clapped out sbc with glass packs sound.
    thx
    Matt

2. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Actually, the tips are not as important as the muffler. We sell several types. Smithy's are the classic. They are a glasspac but they are build very differently from the standard muffler shop glasspac. The resonence chamber is larger and less flow designed. Most of the folks we sell these to are after the exact sound you mentioned. We also sell Brockman Mellowtones. These are a steelpac muffler and the body is more like the glasspacs at the muffler shop. These are loud at throttle. Then we have the classic Porter Steelpac. These have a design very much like the Smithy's but with Steelpac construction. These bridge the gap between the Smithy's and the Brockmans. Then, we also sell the standard run of the mill glass pac.

Pencil tips will constrict the flow of gases as they exit the system, much like squeezing a garden hose. That's where the "wrap sound" comes from.

Echo cans open up the exhaust as it exits the system and they also create a "chamber" for the gases to bounce around in...echo...the sound is much fuller but also more abrupt...hmmm, OK, Pencil tips are like trying to yell with your lips in the form of an "O" while echo cans are more like yelling with your mouth as wide open as possible.

I like to say pencil tips Rip and Echo Cans Pop.

3. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

ACTUALLY the rap sound you seek is acheaved by putting the glass pack mufflers as far back as possible, mine are welded to the exhaust tips at the very back adnI used the very short glass packs. on my cadillac, and 59 el camino I used the mello tones and they dont last that long the seem on the side rots out pretty quick and they are very quiet. just my two cents.

4. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Don't know about the rotting out of the Mellotones but I have to point out that out of the choices, the mellotones are the loudest. Cool trick to put them at the back!

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Modern production Smithy's may be glasspacks but the originals were steel-packs. Sometime in the late 50s-early 60s they may have also made glasspacks until they went out of business.

6. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Koolrides.com has the nice pencil tips that you are looking for and I would just buy the very short glass packs from your local muffler shop. I have had glass packs On my galaxie for 16 years and no rotted out places. The smithy's I put on my cad didn't last two years and the seems rusted out, so we replaced them with long glass packs. The brockman mellow tones on my 31 sedan lasted 4 years, now I have replaced them with local bought glass packs. and it sounds better i think.