Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual coil distributor for a 392 Hemi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31pickemup, May 29, 2009.

1. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Hey Gang'
    Did they ever make a dual coil distributor for a 392 Hemi? Ive never seen one and does anyone on here have a picture of one if they did?

2. Magnus B

Magnus B

I have a Spalding Flamethrower for a 392 Hemi. I have heard about DuCoils for them too. Sorry no pics, but I could get pics of my Flamethrower.

//Magnus

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

WH Ducoil was available for hemis, including Dodge an Desoto. They made both dual point and dual coil rigs, the dual coil was based on the other with different plate and cam, adaptor ring for the bigger cap.

4. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Bruce do you have one of these dual coil setups from Ducoil? I wanted to know how much bigger they actually are. I would like to find one and run it on my 392.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have a Chevy one, but have absolutely no idea where it is in the howling wilderness of my basement. I would guess that WH dual point uses the smallish Ford cap, and that the adaptor ring and dual coil cap make it possibly 1-1 1/2" bigger in diameter. From my memory, which leaks a lot...
    I would guess it to be a tad smaller than anHEI, quite a bit bigger than a Mopar distributor.

6. swifty

swifty

I've got a Du-Coil on the 318 Poly in my bucket. I have never compared the size with a stock one but I don't think it is that much bigger. Looking in my Weiand catalog from 65 it lists different #'s for the 354, 392 and the 318 plus all the other Chrysler variants.
    The rotation for the hemi and the poly are the same and I think it is just the longer driveshaft on the hemi which makes the difference. Someone on here did a tech on the modification required to make the 318 fit the hemi which was good stuff. Can't remember who it was but maybe scooter grabbed it and filed it.
    I've sent copies of my instructions to a couple of guys on here that had poly ones so they are out there. If you need a copy just PM me and I could take pics of mine. They made them in both dual point and dual coil for just about everything that was available in 65.

swifty

7. George

George

The OEM one is dual....

8. 31pickemup

31pickemup

I guess im just going to have to search the swaps for one. Might take me a while to find one but I will. If anybody knows of someone that has one let me know please!

9. Dual point, not dual coil. There is a difference.

10. 31pickemup

31pickemup

I know the difference but im looking for the dual coil setup

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think if you find a WH dual point, it can probably be converted with parts from a dual coil for another engine...WH actually used to sell a kit so you could upgrade from DP to DC on your next paycheck.

12. Abomination

Abomination

Nice! ;)

You should post pics!!!

By the way folks, this might help with research on the DuCoil: http://www.foxvalleyhotrods.com/ducoilinfopage.html

~Jason

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I have a WH DuCoil for the 331-354 Chrysler.

Tha cap 5 1/2 inches accross at the Clip Lands, 4 1/2 o.d.

Came in a 331 Long Bell i bought that also had a Big Erson Cam, Jahns pistons, Adapter for '49-'64 Ford 3 or 4spd, Adjustable push rods, And a Perfect paif of Valve covers.

Was in a Studebaker Truck ... Hemis find themselves into the odd'est places

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have pics of this thing? Don't think I've ever seen one...

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here... the WH DuCoil for early Chryslers. From DE SOTO...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Abomination

Abomination

73rr did the post about modding an LA distributor shaft for use in the early Hemi, by the way:

Technical 331-354 Hemi intermediate shaft for LA dist
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357793

~Jason

17. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

19. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

20. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

21. Same reason as why people run a Flathead instead of Small Block Chevy. One of those "if you have to ask, you probably don't get it" sorts of things.

Rotors aren't too tough to find or too expensive. The caps are tougher, IMO, and more expensive as fewer OEM distributors used them. I've seen more rotors pop up on eBay than caps.

22. If I remember right, they took 50's era Ford points.
    I think from the Y-blocks, but could have been flathead.

Condensers are on the outside as shown and most any auto condenser will work.

The red caps can be "carbon tracked" from the high voltage spark going to ground inside.
    (Usually from moisture inside the cap due to power washing the engine.)

They can be repaired by grinding the carbon out and painting the now overly porous groove with Glyptol.
    Available at industrial electric houses and if you know an electrician who works for an electric utility he can probably get you some.

Make sure you have the little graphite buttons on the center of the cap and the end of the rotor.
    One end of the rotor operates like a single coil setup and the other end runs the rotor graphite button up against the circular brass ring inside the cap.

Timing is easy, shoot #1 then shoot the cylinder that's the fifth one down in the firing order.
    For example: if the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 the 2nd one you'd shoot would be #6.

Be aware that you're going to have a different "firing order" at the distributor cap due to every other one being on the opposite coil system.

Nothing special required in the coil dept.
    Although I'd spring for oil filled coils.

23. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Like mine in my 51 ford 1 ton...

24. shaughnessy

shaughnessy
    from california

Looking for a DuCoil ditrubutor for a 392 Hemi

Tom Shaughnessy
    [email protected]
    949 378 8405