Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dropped tie rod ends

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by willymakeit, Nov 26, 2013.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

I'm doing a search for a dropped tie rod end to use with cross steer. For some reason I'm brain farting and can't seem to find one. Any ideas?:rolleyes:

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

dropped steering arms is what you want i think

3. arincee

arincee

I agree, you are probably looking for dropped steering arms which are available from most rod shops. I really like the ones from Chassis Engineering that fasten on with a bolt that goes all the way through with a nut on the other side as opposed to the ones that use a bolt threaded into a blind hole. If you are using an extra deep dropped axle and need just a little more clearance Speedway Motors offers dropped tie rod ends for Ford pickups that work fine on early Fords. Find them in the classic truck section of their street rod catalog.

4. sorry for the big pic, those are from speedway there are also tie rod re-locators or bumpsteer kits for different aplications

5. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Do you think they(speedway) are dropping them, or they have tooled up to manufacture them or (and my guess) is it that they are from some existing application and if we could figure out what it was they may be had at a little less money from someplace like rock auto?

6. alchemy

alchemy

Some early Willys had a similar tie rod end. Late 30's?

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks for the replies. I have dropped tie rod ends already and would like the passenger side to have the eye for cross steering. This is for a quarter ellp. front end with the tie rod low and behind the axle.
    Will search some more. Think 40 Ford may have had something.

8. I believe there is some confusion here. Are you talking about the eyes in a steering arm?

From what I am reading and as has already been said in the first reply, you seem to be asking about steering arms, not tie rod ends.

Please clear this up.

9. Fenders

Fenders

MOOG # 675

Though it's a Chevy part (with the Chevy taper).

10. Is this what you're talking about?

[​IMG]

11. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Looks like that one goes the wrong way
    [​IMG]

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

The one X38 posted is the right hand tie rod end off a lot of Jeep CJ's from 45 to 71.

As Rottenleonard said the Moog 675 has the wrong drop setup for what the op is wanting.

I don't remember seeing the ones from Speedway in any oem application that I ever worked on. specs on those are :
    7 Degree Taper
    1-1/2" of drop
    8"length end to end
    2-1/2" of 11/16"-18 thread
    When used w/ tube # 91634-42.5 produces an eye to eye assembly of 49.5" length minimum and 51" length maximum

That will get you an inch and a half drop for 50 bucks for the rod ends.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The traditional dropped ones were mid 1930's Willys, now of course real scarce. They required a tie rod center with male threads. I think Speedways are specials, not OEM. I first saw them in some catalog of stuff for F series pickups...

14. willymakeit

willymakeit

This is it but with drop.