Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Mike, I don't get back there that often, but he'll definitely be one of my stops. Same shop right off of 50 hiway?

2. Nope, Tom McEwen.

3. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

This I believe is Don Sappington's camaro circa 1966 or 67. I recall in 68 the car flew in the lights at OCIR. Don was unhurt and after cleaning out his firesuit, it was said he drove back to Arizona. I think it may have been at the same race that Mike Sorokin was killed. Bad night.

4. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

a few more

Attached Files:

5. First one is Ed the Ace in the Northwind, Second one ( green car) looks like the Bev's Steak House car. Strip looks like Arlington Wa.

6. Waaaaaa? Are you sure? Strip looks like Arlington Wa., car doesn't look like
    the 'Goose.

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

there were no titles on the pics.. sry

8. 296ardun

296ardun

I think that the green car was Ron Rolstadt, one of the few fuel cars from the Northwest to be painted green...not sure, though.

9. 296ardun

296ardun

Don't think that is the Goose, for one thing he had that distinctive Mongoose painted on his helmet, he drove for lots of owners, but most of them were distinctive (Baney, Bivens and Fisher, etc.) don't recognize this car but it is at a Northwest track.

10. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I saw John Wenderski's car run a few times. I never saw it with a wing on the front axle and he rarely, if ever, appeared unless everything was completely chromed and/or polished. I don't know who it was but I don't think it would have been John.

c

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

firesuit shots, 2nd one has a 'delta' blower on it, ever heard of it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Isn't this the same car?

[​IMG]

Wenderski and Winkle?

13. One Finger John

One Finger John

Try a comparison. Change injectors and a slightly lower set of weed burners, no script on the nose piece, and of course the wing. Maybe it came from the same builder. Does anyone have any other pictures of the car, sans tire smoke ?

John

P.S. I believe Wenderski's car was a Fuller piece.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

17. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Unless my memory is completely failing me, "Delta Machine" produced blower drives and components during the 50s and into the early 60s. I remember that name on a twin-engine Comp Coupe at Lions in the same time frame as the rest of the twins such as Howard Cams Special, etc.

18. 296ardun

296ardun

Not Wenderski's car, for the reasons you mention...

Ivo built Wenderski's car, made it a bit longer than his regular cars at 109" because John was a rookie driver, though John did not drive it like a rookie, went directly from driving a super stock to making a full out pass in the fueler on the second run......Fuller once noted that you could tell the difference between Fuller and Ivo cars because Ivo liked really long radius rods, like the ones in the photo of Wenderski's car above.

19. 296ardun

296ardun

Chuck, Your memory is correct...Delta Machine was located in Long Beach and made some pretty good blower drives...also sponsored a number of drag cars in the 50's and 60's....don't know what ever happened to them.

20. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I Googled the name "Delta Machine" and found a company by that name located in Gardena but it was apparently founded in 1985 so I doubt that there is a connection. Dean Lowe might remember more about them. "Delta Blower Drives" is apparently another of those placeholders in the deepening pile of fading memories that constitute the history of our sport.

21. Delta blower drives were pretty well known. Say, where are you getting those tasty pics of Northwest cars? I've scoured the web and found very few!

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Delta cranks too. :)

23. Here's the Bev's Steak House car, probably in 66. The other pics are from, I'm guessing 65. Both are Fuller cars I think.[​IMG]

24. Ooops, pic didn't come through, I'll try again later.

26. rick finch

rick finch

Dean is right, that car could be any number of the Northwest cars running back then.

27. Delta products were killer... Have dealth with several blower drives, pullies, etc. Quality machine parts.. Even got some old watersliders stashed away..

TH

29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Vintage Kris Karamesines,

Attached Files:

30. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA