Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Shady Side June 20th is the next race. Come on Scot !!

GAOldsman likes this.
  2. Upgrades .....
    Cut the remainder of the floor out that wasn't doing anything anyway. 23 pounds :rolleyes: think the easy weight cutting is all done :confused:

IMG_1256.JPG

Kim is out of town so ... her scissors are mine .
    Fulnder.jpg

The aluminum bumper is 7 pounds ! :D

alumbump.jpg
    But this was like 5 pounds :confused: it will help on the top end maybe

raaaaamr.jpg

3. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

So, yer' floors gotta' be metal?
    I know where there is some composite aircraft floor panel material.............

GAOldsman and sonic03bluegt like this.
  4. Hook a brother up :) don't hold back.

5. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Bring your ass down and get it.........I plan to be home all weekend, cleanin' shit outa' my shop!

6. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Looking good Tony! Can't wait to see it at shadyside next weekend

Dog_Patch likes this.
  7. exterminator

exterminator

That is a BAD Coupe!!!!!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yep, I missed a lot of the build because of the thread dropping out, (dropped out my log in three times while just catching up on this thread), didn't know the car had already been run. That said, it was fun catching up on the thread and congrats to Dog_Patch on getting the car to the strip.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  9. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Hey Gang!
    I am hoping to be there at Shadyside with the FED--Think Danny S will be there with his? Guess we could pair off for a few runs. You coming Tyler?

Dog_Patch likes this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

No but they had liners and tubes. Lippy

GAOldsman and loudbang like this.
  11. Awesome Dave! I haven't seen when the gates open or racing starts yet - have you?

12. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Not yet but I just plan to ease in and play if I can make it--Wife has been under Doctors care --we hope she is out of the woods so if all clear I will be there to burn some alky!!!

13. Just got the info on the start times at Shady Side.
    Gates open at 3pm for spectators
    First round of qualifying at 5pm
    Racing starts at 7pm

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Give em hell. I will be in Bowling Green this weekend leaving Wed and coming back Sunday.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  15. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Negative.

I haven't the slightest clue when I will get everything back together. Got to get together a OT car that's been sitting in my driveway for 2 years with a blown headgasket and rebuild that motor (with what would normally be dragster money) and working two jobs leaves ZERO free time right now. The transmission is out in my dragster but the motor is still sitting in it . . . haven't bothered to take it out because it will be awhile before I can throw it back together.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  16. Its true - lots of my watched threads drop off the notify list for no reason.

Went to see Johhny Thomas today - he was adapting the 4 bolt steel caps to the 392 Hemi block. This is the block that will have the 5/8 stroker crank. He was showing me all the steps he had to go through to get these mounted. This is a ton of work. He wondered if everyone put this much effort into mounting these things correctly. Because there is a lot of room to get sloppy or lazy doing this - he was not going to go that route. Said it wasn't cheap though :p hey man its a hemi its never cheap.

splayed1er.jpg

splayed4.jpg
    splayed7.jpg

splayed19.jpg

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Tony, it dropped out for me again. After I saw that pic on social group I knew more work was being done and pics take, so I did a search and found this again.
    Ryan's too busy finding more shit to change to fix the problems with what he has, I guess. The thread on the social group also isn't notifying me either.
    I can see that there's room for sloppiness on that main cap change, are they aftermarket steel billet or off some other engine, or what?

18. Those caps are Hot Heads steel billet. Milodon makes a set also but Bob has all 5 caps. I don't think Milodon makes all 5, just the centers. As often as I miss gears, figured it best to make it as strong as possible ;)

19. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Been seeing the sedan delivery at some repair shop last couple trips
    over your way.

20. Looks like a master in action, there Tony K:cool::cool:L

Would the block then need to be align bored now? Or would it need align boring anyway with aftermarket caps that haven't been on the block yet anyway? Also does he believe in using torque plates when boring the cylinders?

21. Yeah I dropped it off for quieter mufflers to be installed and I think they are using it as advertising . I better have it back tomorrow to load for Shady Side :eek: I'll tackle a lot of stuff but mufflers are not really one of them.

Yeah he is align boring and honing the mains and cursing some :confused: . He loves torque plates - got any for a 392? This discussion always ends the same - "Ask so and so for his plates" "He loaned them out" What now? So far none of my hemi's have had plates.

GAOldsman likes this.
  22. Sorry, no torque plates for a 392, but with them is the way to go if possible.

23. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

We sure on these times? Cause SEG website says "all day"
    The late start will be helpful for me to get there to spectate!!

24. It looks like all the races say 'All Day' :D For sure its gates at 3pm , 1st Qualifying at 5pm, 2nd at 6pm and Eliminations start at 7pm. Hope to see ya there!

Quain posted on the Moonlighter thread here - if this works :
    Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

25. Woohoo! Another one on the books! That was a 10+ as far as days go. 7am roll out 3am roll in. No breakdowns :) nothing but good people and good racing.

Started in the cool of the day -
    IMG_1310.JPG

Got LAYDRAG for a co-pilot this time.

Then the GPS sent us all over the place including some gravel road.

where_are_we4.jpg

where_are_we3.jpg

where_are_wer.jpg

IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG

Then finally

IMG_1330.JPG

The changes to the car helped a bunch. The line lock button and shifter move are going in the right direction. Took some figuring out how to stage with the line lock but its sooooo much better. I think what happens is the weight on the clutch fingers are engaging the clutch a little when revving up while in the lights and the car creeps. First run was a red light. After that, more brake was used in the stage and it was all good.

IMG_1334.JPG

Best time was a 6.73 @ 101 MPH and ---- drum roll --- 1.422 60 Foot :):rolleyes::eek::D

Not sure which upgrade was the best - maybe the 100 lbs off the back of the car - or the 8 plug wire being connected. I went to a Autolite 66 spark plug from a 65 and went from a 125 pill to a 120.

It was a damn good day all around. Hung with a lot of good people and enjoyed a quick shower too ;)

IMG_1328.JPG

Attached Files:

26. Couple of under car vids:

volvobrynk, GAOldsman and saltflats like this.
  27. One more pic for my Dad who went to the other side to wait for us 1 year ago. Wish you could have been here pops!

IMG_4265.JPG

28. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Cool vids!! The car has picked up quite a bit. Awesome job!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  29. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Cheers to all the Dads.

enloe and Dog_Patch like this.
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Git-R=Done!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You've come a long way in a short time Tony.