Register now to get rid of these ads!

Distric Attorney/ Code Enforcement issues with your cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Nov 24, 2009.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

What about concrete pavers ?

2. rickkane

rickkane

I pass 4 houses in my neighborhood every that some kid of piece of crap always parked in the front yard. One guy has a olds cutlass dirt track car, one has a monster truck clone, one has a 69 Chevelle he's "restoring" and one has something under a tarp. What I cant understand is that everyone of these places is at least a 1 acre lot. No house is more than 100 feet from the street. Why cant they stick that shit in the backyard, instead of right at the street. The street looks like dogpatch. As far as the D.A. (retired)here goes, he owns more cars than me and he helps me work on mine.

3. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I hear ya, I ended up reading a government document on grants, and it literally states that if you are of a minority ethnicity or not a natural born citizen you are elligible for additional grants. What is so evil about being an honest, natural born, educated hard working white american male? Sorry, just venting for a second,

4. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

If you put your cars on trailers you would comply to code. We found once you comply it becomes a never ending list of bullshit. We always have done things enviromentaly correct and showed them many times. In the end the property we had now has a small housing track on it. It was easier to sell, than keep spending money on something the city wanted improved for "the good of the city" and a new street they wanted thru the property. You can say you can fight it but in the end they will piss you off enough and spend money you cant get back by staying. The shitter is when you fight one infraction they will find another. As I said before good luck.

5. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

hooligan63, your signature is great, I read it and just cracked up, lol

6. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Why don't you go back and read the rules,it clearly states "NO POLITICS"

7. Thanks for all the info! It's nice to have a source of info to go to!
    Take a kid to a carshow..

8. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Do you own your property flat out?

9. Here in Louisville, all cars need a current tag even if they are on a trailer. recreational vehicles are OK. so now the street stock race car gets parked right in front of the complaining neighbors house.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  10. It's the Lefties that are the "do-gooder", government-in-your-face intrusive-types, believe me!

Ber-serk-ley, CA, is the ultimate example of this.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  11. Yep.. Since the 60's

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

We have had a rash of complaints regarding stuff parked in peoples yards. Boats, Campers, Motor homes, etc. Arose because on idiot on a corner lot parked his Motor Home in such a way that it blocked the sight lines at the intersection. People missed the stop sign or had to pull into the intersection to see if the way was clear. So after several town board meetings the town passed and ord stating the vehicles needed to be parked away from the street/rd, and on a permanent surface.

I have a couple trailers I have parked out of site from the road and early invisible from neighbors. But to comply with the ord, I purchased 4 2 by 10 by 10foot long pieces of treated lumber, layed them on the ground and placed the trailers on them. Code guy must have been snooping around on foot because I got a non compliance warning. Took some pictures of the situatioi, and the 30 year ground contact tagss stapled into the planks and went to the toen office. My first quest was what the code considered permanent. So without tipping my hand to much I asked if 30 years would be considered permanent. the clerk said she did't know, so I asked her who did, and she called her supervisor the town clerk. Repeated the question and she said that 30 years would satisfy the term. I said thank you, the I produced the pictures and asked her to certify that based on her interpretation of the term, that my trailers were parked on a permanent suface and asked he to discharge the warning.

Haven't heard anyting further and that was 5 years ago, so I guess if i live 25 more years, they will still be parked on a permanent surface.

Check your deed for any restrictions and codicles, written into the deed when you purchased the property. If your were in complience when you bought the property, and have not made any major changes rewuirig a permit from the local authority, you should be good to go until you sell it. Then it would be the new owner's deal to bring it up to current codes.

13. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Fight it. There has to be some way to keep them out of your hair.

14. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

it's time to move, dude...to another state

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

you must live near me then. i have the same neighbors excpet they complain to the police about my caskets.

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Anymore it seems the norm for a sub-division to be built next to a race track or junkyard that's been there for 50 years or more, and once the new homeowners are in they sue to get the "Violator" shut down. WTF?? Bass-ackwards ain't it?

"Permits?...........we don't need no steenkin' permits!!"

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Same folks who move in near the airport then complain about the noise............

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fight it bro. Loud and hard. I saw the reference to the title jumpers but you need to prove that, and in fact it will take away from what your rights are and cloud the issue. Stay focused and visit your local library. Look up all the codes and amendments that favor and protect you. Present them at your hearing and don't get trapped into arguing over anything else. Stay on track. Judges don't like their time wasted or to be made fools of by 'officials' who don't know their jobs. If you have some old statements or estimates of improvements from the past that you 'can't afford' right now it shows intent and respect for the property that surrounds yours. I'm assuming you have a decent reputation and some history behind you as well. Use it.

I never subscribed to the thinking that you can't fight city hall. You OWN city hall. Good luck. I can't stand to see industrious and creative people (like hotrodders) get fucked with by others who don't have a clue and who's last original thought died of loneliness.

19. "I saw the reference to the title jumpers but you need to prove that, and in fact it will take away from what your rights are and cloud the issue. Stay focused.

I have convinced my Uncle of the same thing. You give them "Higher Moral Values" over you. Hot Rodders are some of the smartest people I have ever met. Thats why I appreciate ALL your input! Thanks

20. No way.. I'll still be here when they all have different jobs. You have to see past them. Never lay down for anybody. America would be stronger if people used their being to stand up. Trust

21. lowburban

lowburban

The system functions on the premise that we don't fight the system or knw all the "rules". Like theHighlander said learn the rules and then use them against them.

22. Special Ed

Special Ed

I'm going to throw something at you that will work. I've had personal experience with this issue. I hold a California contractor's license. This is not a structural issue. There is no minimum requirement regarding thickness of the "cement" or concrete that they say you need. Mix a bag with about six times the water that it would normally take (consistency of thick tomato juice), and pour it in 8'x 18' sections. Move your cars onto the new "slabs". You are now in compliance.
    Even though you are only about 1/8" thick, you my friend, are legal...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  23. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FISHBECK...man just move to good old texas, hell man we even run lakesters on the street. actually i've seen all 8 exaust runing streight pipes. and no we don't put cow horns on the hood. ( ANY MORE ) and we don't have cement here.O.K. that's a lie, there is a little on the freeways...POP.

24. McDeuce

McDeuce

Most of these guys are trying to do their jobs and follow the rules. If they dont write it up and someone complains they get yelled at. It is the cities and counties we all need to talk to about these laws. I have gotten more involved in attending city meetings to make sure a Hot Rodders point of view is heard. I even got brave enough to get a few topics added to the city agenda. I started writing letters to my local polititians to express a car guys point of view. Problem seems to be all these agencies react to the squecky wheel and some stay at home ladies are very worried about the beauty of the city and could car less about our love of cars.

So lets take up the fight ... write letters, attend city hall meetings and get the thoughts and opinions of car people out their.

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Code Enforcement has us on record that we are grandfathered in (since 1951) with pea gravel being acceptable to park our cars on. But the District Attorneys office are pressuring us this time, to upgrade the parking surface w/ Cement or Black top. Our hearing is scheduled for early next month. Let me know whats up with you all out there!"

Like Highlander said; fight it if you're truly Grandfathered in.
    All you can do is lose and then you'll be up for paving.
    FWIW, asphalt is fairly cheap to have laid down (compared to concrete) if you're graded and ready to go. Lay a big asphalt square and park em door handle to door handle. Maybe seel off a couple of the cars you can live without and that'll pay for the paving.

26. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Doesn't matter if it's the anal retentive left or the anything to make a buck right. That's why even though codes and laws is a somewhat political discussion, arguing one side or the other is kind of pointless. With some rare exceptions they're all assholes who should probably be lined up and shot and make the world a better place.

Some codes people you can make back down, when they see you're going to get out the law book, learn it better than they know it, and not take their shit laying down, they tend to move on to easier targets. They're just bullies and usually can't take the heat. If I was really pissed I'd find out where the codes guys live and check out their property and report them for any violations.

Personally I like the idea of pouring 1/8" of concrete, that was my original thought earlier in the thread. You move stuff over that or let it sit a winter it's going to crack and suck up oil just like pea gravel, anyways.

27. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I kinda like Nebraska... Nobody flys over the house to see how many dead cars and tractors we have, nobody cares about the deck, building, and pillared gates we put up with out permits....

Then again we've got about 10 acres away from the city...

But they do try and rape us on property taxes, even though we don't have nat. gas, city water, cable, paved roads, really we don't even have fire protection either... City water stops a 1/2 mile away, that's where the hydrant is...

I could never live in the city, do much political bull shit and to many people I probably wouldn't care for...

28. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

get an attorney,and fight. good luck

29. ems customer service

ems customer service

its not about code viloations it is about the district attorney justifing his job and all the people they have, and it also keeps his laywer buddies busy, they do it in cleveland all the time.

use this federal case ADVANCE \d 5 SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1192 Fed.Appx. 330, 2006 Fed.App. 0479N; Jacob v. Township of West Bloomfield,; 6th Cir. 07/10/2006
    [1] UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SIXTH CIRCUIT
    [2] No. 05-1647
    #[3] 192 Fed.Appx. 330, 2006 Fed.App. 0479N, 2006.C06.0000738
    [4] July 10, 2006
    [5] WILLIAM JACOB, PLAINTIFF-APPELLEE, v. TOWNSHIP OF WEST BLOOMFIELD; MICHAEL C. KILLIAN, IN HIS INDIVIDUAL AND OFFICIAL CAPACITIES; LARRY RUSHING, IN HIS INDIVIDUAL AND OFFICIAL CAPACITIES, DEFENDANTS-APPELLANTS.

in short the buidling inspectors were tresspassing when they did the inspection, and mr jacob's shoved up there rear end with violations of search and siezure.

alot of buidling inspectors violate this law

30. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Problem is,most of them don't exactly know what the rules entail and just start handing out citations,it happens all the time in California. I know many local Sheriffs and Police Officers,and they're surprised when I know about some laws they weren't quite clear on.