Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detriot diesel 3-53 blower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HarborKustomSpeedShop, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if a detriot diesel 3-53 blower would take the rpm of a small block chevy? I know it would need to be modified to fit (custom intake). Also how much boost could it make, looking for 5-6 psi. I know where a couple are so i was just wondering if they could be made to work?

I tried searching here and the web but couldnt find anything about them. So i figured here would be the best place to ask sense it has ton of knowledgable people.

Thanks in advanced

Justin

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Probably too small for a V8. I've seen 4-53's on really small V8's or flatheads. probably not making 6 psi though.

3. Think about that blower for a moment. It has to scavenge a 2 stroke 159 cubic inch diesel engine that runs up to about 2400-2500 rpm max.

In effect taking into account the fact that you wish to put this on a four stroke V8 then because the 2 stroke fires every revolution then effectively the blower is scavenging a 318 cubic inch engine every two revolutions.

So on that analysis it is close however you must realise all the blower is doing is scavenging that is emptying the cylinders of the exhaust gases and filling it with fresh air. It is not set up to pressurise the cylinder on that diesel. To make it work as a supercharger will demand either larger capacity to do that or, considerably overdriving that blower to make it perform as a supercharger. This is not ideal either.

4. nofin

nofin
    from australia

A Detroit 3-53 supercharger's capacity is 104ci/rev. To even keep up with a 265 sbc it would have to be overdriven. It's also a non ball bearing design.

5. Overdriving a roots style blower loses efficiency real fast, you would not get any real benefit increasing boost, just temp increase with more psi. Which in effect has no real increase in the amount of air pumped into the engine. Roots style blowers have higher efficiency when underdriven.

Short answer for your question: that 3-53 blower is way too small

6. wsdad

wsdad

Laidout53 said, "I know where a couple are..."

Put 'em both on there. 159ci plus 159ci = 318ci. Now you're in the neighborhood of a 350!

Mount three of them! ;)

7. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Sell them to guys running 4 cylinder engines.

:cool:

8. this has crossed my mind...:D Would it work??

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

9. this too has crossed my mind what about for a flat head v8 or a flat straight 6??

10. 55willys

55willys

The 4-53 is what the B&M 144 blowers were based on and they are very overdriven. I am going to run a 6-53 on a flat head v8 in a front drive configuration(sortof like a Potvin)but with a gear drive from a v8 quick change

11. kylerandolph95

kylerandolph95

I got a 3-53 free from a farmer. Would it be alright on a stock tolerance 350 with the correct cam? 69 c10 just to be putted around town. Probably never pushed passed 4,200 rpm. Just don't want it if it would destroy the engine. Not worried about power gains. Come on fellers, learn me some

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. no, the money spent on install will piss you off the first time you stomped the pedal.

14. it would make a nice wheel chock
    or maybe to build a pro street Crosley 4 cyl
    could make some mean lawn mower HP
    would be like installing a lawn mower carb on your V8, it might idle but when you push the go pedal...stumble

15. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the '53' world. There are probably no more then a dozen references to them on the entire web. They seem to be more popular in Australia. There was an Australian company 'Joe Blo' that made new bearing plates for them eliminating the need for oiling from the engine. Don't know where they have gone to. I bought a set of these plates and had Rick Dean build me a 6/53 for my 300 cu. in. aluminum Buick. I then had to get a snout custom made as well as build an adaptor to mount it on the manifold. The original blower was cheap, but the finishing costs were extremely high. I used it because a '71' blower wouldn't clear my master cylinder.
    The Rover injection manifold was the only one I could use that would work with a blower. There may be an easier way to go with a sbc. It might work modifying a 4/71 manifold. The '53' is quite similar in configuration to a 6V/71. Another thing, the '53' runs straight impellers whereas the '71' uses helical impellers. More bang for the buck.
    Warren

1930-ford-sedan-street-shaker-engine-blower.jpg 113.JPG 128a.JPG 131.JPG 135.JPG

16. 270ci

270ci

If you set it on top of your tool box, it could certainly provide a little boost for your bench racing!

Montana1 likes this.
  17. kylerandolph95

kylerandolph95

Lol thanks for the info! If only I could hook it up to my craftsman!! :p