Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatluckys

fatluckys

42 Dodge. 89 S10 4WD. Extended cab chassis shortened about 4".

[​IMG]

2. Abomination

Abomination

Now THAT fit pretty good!

Lovin' on your wheels. :)

~Jason

3. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Does the steering gearbox interfere with the front fender or grill on the 41 Ford P.U.? It looks great in the pics. The gearbox was somewhat of a slight issue on my friend's 37 Chevy P.U. If I remember correctly, he had to trim the front fender slightly.

Some pics would be nice if you've got them - so would the pics of 49-51 Ford shoeboxes.

Thanks, RGV

4. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

There are clearance issues, mine are steering box to radiator. Saw a 40 pickup at Goodguys Columbus a couple weeks ago that was on a S10 chassis with a Flaming River vega box, fit real nice with plenty of clearance, guy said it drives and handled nice. I been kickin around the idea of some type of manual rack, but I ordered the Flaming River box, Im goin pick it up at the nats in Louisville this weekend. It's a direct bolt in, you just have to rotate the pitman arm 180 degrees. I'll post more pics when I get it mounted, heres the link to the box Im talking about.
    http://www.vhrpartsandaccessories.com/servlet/the-723/FLAMING-RIVER-GM-S10/Detail
    Later,
    Billy

5. jeffs51chevy

jeffs51chevy
    from Idaho

I've been working on the running board and bed mounts. The r/b mounts are 1x2 channel and the bed mounts are 3" tubing cut on a bias.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. job rated

job rated

52 dodge cab in avatar is mounted to a blazer frame. I still have a long way to go. Next on the list is to hang the front sheet metal and shorten the bed to make up for the 8" of wheelbase that I lost(100 vs. original 108) I used the original cab mounts cut down since the blazer frame is wider where the cab mounts attach and weld up. I am going to have to do a trans/drive shaft hump for clearance.

7. S10 Frame dimensions for a '95

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  8. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

do you have drawings how you made it ...??

realy like what you have done..

9. Big Nick

Big Nick

I am getting ready to do an S10 swap under a 50 Dodge Business Coupe.

10. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've posted mine elsewhere- '46 Chevy pickup on '95 S10 swb regular cab chassis. I didn't do the swap, but the P.O. said it was simple and required no cutting on the frame. I've got a disc of build photos, but don't know how many of them would be useful to someone.

Attached Files:

11. Abomination

Abomination

DUDE! ROCK ON!

That's the kind of thing this thread needed - you don't see that very often online...

~Jason

12. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Please send more pics i love all the details..!!!

13. That cab hanging from the tree is what rodding is all about.

14. custombuilt55-72

custombuilt55-72

Ok, Help a novice out. With the bare S-10 LWB frame where do you start first? Do you set cab on frame close to original S-10 cab and then add your front clip to see how close you are to correct cab location? I know some of the pre-fab kits probably have installation locations but what most installations are not pre-fab.

15. Frank02L

Frank02L
    from Searcy, AR

We put a wilwood rack&pinion on the S10 we built for drag racing. Fits pretty good with a little bit of fabrication.

This is about the best pic I can come up with...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just bent a piece of tubing to support the R&P and the steering linkage gets an extra universal and goes through the crossmember instead of hanging out. Probably gains a little bit of clearance too. I know the drag truck isn't really applicable to HAMB but the S10 chassis is common.

16. Abomination

Abomination

Sweet!

I actually like Rack and Pinion steering on 'em. I love trad stuff, but steering, suspension and brake upgrades on a driver I'm totally down with. Makes your ride way safer, and better handling in some cases. Pre-kids, I didn't really care. Nowadays, I totally do.

Besides, if it's a driver, why can see what's under your hood and fenders at highway speeds? LOL!

~Jason

Rick Frazier likes this.
  17. jeffs51chevy

jeffs51chevy
    from Idaho

I've started a build thread on a different site. Just Google "yet another s10 swap" and you should find it. I don't know if it really qualifies under this thread because it is more of a "how I did it" type thing.

18. Abomination

Abomination

This link?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=294539

You should post it here as it's own tech post! That's awesome!

Hell, if you want, I can recreate it for you here on the HAMB!

~Jason

19. jeffs51chevy

jeffs51chevy
    from Idaho

Abomination,
    If you think it will help a few guys out, throw it up over here. I'm really new at the compter side of truck building.
    Jeff

20. Abomination

Abomination

Luckily, we're all more into the "building" part! LOL! :D

I just posted it, by the way. Here ya go:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283377

You may want to check it later, in case anybody has any questions you can answer! :)

This rocks, and all of you guys should go there to check out his bracket design/blueprint/diagram!

~Jason

21. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

My friend built a Chevy '55 big back window on an s-10 frame. It sits nice and was ez to do, but to me it's still kind of gay. I would feel like a homo telling someone "yeah it's on a '98 s-10 chasis." It's like messing with an ugly girl. It will get the job dun for you if you have no game, just don't let anyone find out.

22. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

WTF do you realy know what it mean to customize a car giving comments thats easy talking trash thats gay be a man and come visit a custom show and then tell these guys you think they are gay..

23. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Excellent thread, Great subject badly needed! My Grandson and I are putting a '47 Ford pickup on a Chevy S-10 chassis. There is a point right by the front cab mounts that is too wide to go under the '47 cab. A section of the frame 'bows' out there. ShortyForty modified his sill area to cover it, but we cut a section out and switched side to side and re-welded them. I am not completely happy with it but it works 'sort of'. Someday I'll post pictures to show. Meanwhile the picture ABOMINATION put on in the beginning shows the area in question right behind the front cab mount. We measured the '47 cab before we took it off of the 1.5 ton chassis it came on from front wheel center to rear of cab and transferred that measure to the S-10 frame. That is how we aligned it. I have heard that a swap to a Ford Ranger is easier but I didn't think so, looked like it would be too high off the ground for my likes. But the frame is narrower than the S-10. I am using a Camaro rear axle assembly for the necessary width instead of the S-10 4 x 4 rear suggested simply because of the scare people gave me in that the S-10 rear wouldn't stand a V-8 power. My fenders are wider than a half ton truck so I need to get spacers to set my wheels out on front. There are issues with the Radiator and the Steering Box which I have not come to yet. AND it isn't easy like some suggest. In my opinion like a 4 on the scale. But then, I am not a long time builder. Just a rookie old guy with a teenage grandson partner. Regards, Perley

24. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Thats the spirit oldrodder43 hoop you can suply us with more storys and pics

25. Abomination

Abomination

You're welcome. :)

~Jason

26. Algon

Algon

Its your car man, but thats bullshit because you are using a S-10 frame to keep from having to actually custom build a proper chassis from scratch or improve what is already there. Now its not really something I agree with on a vintage build but I do in such cases as a daily driver think its not a bad idea. The aftermarket support of the S-10 gives you a good range of options so if you like it cool. The Henry J is the only one I'd really call a shame but once again its his car. Now I'm not the type to be afraid to share my opinions in person but even though I disagree, letting the other guy have his way is better than having him copy your own car which is what you'd have if everyone thought the same.

Now to take it farther off topic a VW Beetle is a popular victim and I've seen a 49 Ford and a few Willys Jeeps. There is also a Willys coupe kit car to go on the S-10 frame from Active power and various street rod style rebodies out there. G-bodies work well in a similar fashion but with a better ride/performance suspension in most cases. I've seen Corvairs on them and a buddy has a extended cab Hudson pickup built on one thats dropped to the ground on a homemade bag set-up.

Fred l Scates likes this.
  27. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

Yes I do know what it takes to build a car hard ass. I have built some verry hi end stuff, I have also built some junk. I'm not talking shit, I'm just saying chevy s-10's are not that cool, and neither is using their chasis. I understand it can make things a little more easy to get things dun, but to me it's about the craftsmanship, and thinking about what parts I can use to make my car timeless.

28. Abomination

Abomination

Bump for the weekenders!

~Jason

29. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

I know I've said this before, but I painted my neighbor's '37 Ford P/U and it's on a S10 frame. Runs a SBC, TH-400, 4x4 Blazer rear end, Mustang II Manual Rack. I've driven it and it rides and runs great. I'll ask him if I can put up a picture of it. I was going to do a GM G body clip on my '54 Plymouth, but thanks to people on here and others I am going to be doing a S10 clip on it instead.

30. Abomination

Abomination

Way to go, man! :D

It's like Chevrolet made them just for us to cannibalize...

[​IMG]

~Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.