Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Deeper in the Goldmine: Bonneville in the 50s (Part II)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Deeper in the Goldmine: Bonneville in the 50s (Part II)

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Cyclone_racer likes this.
  2. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I like that Model A roadster, but what is that motor? Is it a built up Model A four banger? Does it have 2 different exhaust headers, or is one of those pictures printed in reverse?
    I would have terrorized Salt Lake City in that when I was 16.

hans

3. plan9

plan9

Looks like the roadster was running a HEMI

4. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

The hemi roadster is on 32 rails. The roadster channled on A rails has a motor I don't recognize, which only makes it cooler.

hans

5. Again, incredible photos @Jive-Bomber. Thanks again for sharing them with us. I have to ask, are copies of these prints going to be available for purchase??? I think I might need a couple for my son's bedroom.

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

They're all really neat pictures, but that on of the Chrisman Brothers coupe with the pools of water on the salt is just awesome!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    autobilly likes this.
  7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Love seeing real hot rods and the combinations of parts that were worked out. Heavy axle, A spindles and juice brakes. What fashion plate hot rodder would risk being seen today without proper "roundback" spindles?

gwhite likes this.
  8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

What's cool is they weren't worried about fashion too much....

9. seatex

seatex

Amen brother, AMEN! That straight ahead shot would be an awesome poster...................and the banger roadster? WOW, just an awesome little car and kinda' unusual to see such a deep channel and extreme kick up on the west coast, looks like a lot of East coast influence for the period. The caps on it are bitchen................

10. Hans,

Looks to be a B 4-banger with a finned valve (side) cover and a duel Stromberg intake. Not sure what the head is - but I would guess it's either a Winfield or Weiand

11. von Dyck

von Dyck

The "B" engines did not use an oil return pipe draining excess oil from the valve chamber. The "B" also used a wider side cover to accommodate a pressurized oil gallery to feed oil to the three main bearings. This roadster is running the stronger "A" block!

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Good lord I am in love with that Lyon-Capped, Banger Powered, channeled, coupster...

13. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

That's awesome that people know all that obscure stuff about old cars. I'm always disappointed when I find pictures of 'hot rods" but no one seems to know or even care about the motor.
    BTW what makes that car a coupster? Is the rear deck longer than a roadster or is it something else? Did coupes have a longer wheelbase? or a shorter passenger compartment?

hans

14. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

The guy in the Hudson looks like the late Paul Walker from the Fast and Furious movies.

15. KKrod

KKrod

Fantastic photos. I believe that is a true roadster and not a coupester. Anyway it is a great car.

16. seatex

seatex

Hans, a "Coupster" usually refers to a Cabriolet that has the window frames and top removed. The cab is actually 2" or so longer with longer doors and legroom than a true roadster. I don't believe that term really applies to a cut down coupe, but it could. Anyone?

17. jim galli

jim galli

That little roadster began life as a roadster, not closed. It has the raised piller area like roadsters and phaetons. Coupe pillar is flat. He's shaved the windshield stanchions down because he's dreaming of a Duvall, but they cost more than he's spent on the whole car so far. Head looks like a cast iron Winfield. And yes, one of the pics has the original cast model A header, and the other one has the fancy chromed one.

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

Exactly what I was thinking,not that I ever watched them ;)

19. don32pix

don32pix

The Channeled roadster belonged to a friend of mine in Berkeley Ca around 1949. He actually had 3 different headers. There was one not shown that came out and then straight down and then back. None had mufflers. I believe it had a Winfield OHV head. Riding in it was awesome.
    BERKELEY COUPE2Btiny.jpg
    The 5 window coupe above is another friends rod. High school days.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  20. Note the lack of a radiator shell. HRP

[​IMG]

21. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Heh...
    The front "bumper" is pretty sketchy too. Are those mechanical brakes?
    Wow...the only thing I ever drove with mechanical brakes was a motorcycle or a tractor.

22. I like the photo of the melted piston :)

23. Wow! Awesome pics....all before my time, but I did a lot of catching up by devouring all the old cars mags I could find. My question is: I thought the smaller bodied Hudson was known as a 'Jet'. Did this model come out after the 'Pacemaker'? I've never heard of this model Hudson - thanks!!

24. Very very cool stuff!

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Top of the line, most expensive, biggest motor Hudson = Hornet

Cheaper car with same body from the windshield back but shorter wheelbase and smaller motor = Pacemaker

Hudson's compact car, completely different body with Pacemaker motor = Jet