Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dean Lowe and his '29 Roadster PU

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 5, 2009.

1. I knew that.........................once I got home and looked it up. :D

2. Geno, you are soooooooooooooooo full of bullshit. Be careful, my head will get too big, and Post will be all over me on the OFC!!!

3. Steve, when Big Stanley dropped the hood side off at your place, didn't he tell you the story of how I got it back after 40 years? He didn't try to take credit for locating it, did he? That was the biggest fluke of my life!

4. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Jeez Dean I've been to bed since then I know it was on top of the same fridge in 3 or 4 shops that he (Junior ? ) had been in .

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This is an awesome story.......my hero Dean Lowe.

6. Outstanding read Dean! Thanks!!!

7. skywolf

skywolf

Wonderful storytelling. Thank you Dean from the other side of the world.

8. 296ardun

296ardun

Great story! Thanks for telling it.

In '61 I was hanging out at the Powerine station next to Bob's Big Boy in Pasadena, when a guy came in with the nicest red '29 roadster pickup I had ever seen. I also had a roadster so we got to talking and the more I looked at the red roadster the more details I noticed, like the leather straps that kept the doors from hitting the fenders and courtesy lights under the dash with buttons in the door jambs to light them. When I saw Dean Lowe's roadster in Hot Rod Magazine I thought "That's the roadster I sat in and admired at the Powerine station." I saw it run at the Winternationals and at other meets in SoCal, and always admired it. So Dean, was that you, did you drive from West Covina to Pasadena to hang out at Big Boy? Or is senility finally catching up with me?

9. Many times, as a matter of fact. But, I never had anything as fancy as interior courtesy lights. I did gas up at the Powerine station a few times, and there were door check straps on my doors. Might have been me. Who knows? Right place and time, that's for sure.

10. This is so cool. Harley Gene, thanks for the updated picture of Dean and the RPU. We may not know where we are goin, but we know where we been.

11. This picture says it all for me Dean. I wish I could have been standing there behind you when you launched! The sights,the sounds, the smell, :D

[​IMG]

12. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

That was the best jj post I've read.

13. I was standing behind the car when it launched. As I said, my pal, Rollie Gravel, was driving. He took over the driving when I got hurt at El Mirage, and got more out of the car than I ever could. He could row that T-10 like a hydro. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. On that day, the car simply could not be beat.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. cJared3b

cJared3b

Great read!!! Thanks.

15. blackout

blackout

Man I got chills reading that story. What a great piece of history. Dean's blown RPU he drives now is perfection, too.

16. mackster

mackster

great read. . . DEAN LOWE for Governator!:D

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Sure, if you can get past the yellow paint and street rod 5 spokes...

;)

18. blackout

blackout

Post it's not only the immaculate condition of every part of the car...it is also a big power maker with the blower, yet Dean has it mastered, he drives it all over the place, that's a big achievement. (So Cal freeways and traffic)

19. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Hellova good story Dean. Those were the days all right.

Kudos to Ryan for writing up Dean's story.

20. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dean you had a little sign on your quick change. It read "Adios" as I recall. Do you have any pictures of that sign?

21. Shit, Mark, I had forgotten all about that. After all the beer you and Jack have drank over the years, I'm surprised you remembered it!!! No pics of the sign. I think it was lost the first time we swapped the gears at a track.

22. Sando

Sando
    from Burbank CA

Great story!

23. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Krylon John, who the heck are you. You remember me and my brother Doug but I am stumpped as to your idenity. Give me a clue or four. Remember that we are in that 60 range and have C.R.S. and AGE. Remember the Hogan boys that work on their cars at the Atwoods home. Also remember Les Hawkins???Let me know...Mark

24. trad27

trad27

Too cool, how did I miss this first time around, really good read.

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I will have my autogragh book ready for Mr. Lowe to sign this weekend.

26. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has there been any update on the rebuild of this truck from the current owner?

27. Steve is stingy with pictures, but it's getting close. His goal is to have it at the big Pendine Sands meet in September. According to his wife, he's spending every free minute on it, and she is busy cleaning and restoring the upholstery. She promised pictures a month ago, but I'm still waiting. I had a long chat with Steve at the HRM reunion show in March. He had lots of pics on his lap top. From what I saw the car will be nicer than when it was built in 1960. He is detailing everything to the max. He's promised to bring the car to the states in 2014. I expect to be fighting back some tears when I see it again.

28. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

That car needs to go back to Jr. ( Hershel) Conway for the real paint job. I know the Persimmon candy wasn't on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine, but that was the most beautiful car ever. Just an opionion of somebody that saw the car in the 60's...................

29. Mark, that same paint job today would cost more than the car is worth! But that's the way I'd like to see it. Candy persimmon with polished Halibrands.

30. I can't believe new pictures of my old hot rod are still showing up after over 50 years. I picked up the latest Hot Rod Deluxe special edition today, and found this shot from LIONS. It is an unpublished out take from the R&C April '62 Rod Test article. Dad is riding with me using a stop watch to clock 0-60 and 0-100 times for the story.

[​IMG]