Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting lokar throttle cable

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Oct 11, 2007.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I'm putting a Lokar gas pedal and throttle cable on. I have cut the housing and now need to cut the cable. I don't want to defore the cable cause it needs to slide into the throttle linkage piece and I don't want it to unravel after it is cut. Anyone got some tips on cutting and keeping it from unraveling?

Thanks, Bill

2. usedall9

usedall9

Put some solder "spelling" on the spot you want to cut (before you cut it). ? dont know it this is conventional or not. but it works!

3. 390kid

390kid

i always put some masking tape a hair below the cut and cut it with a cut off wheel

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

I've just taped over the spot I needed to cut, mark where you need to cut on the tape and cut through the cable, tape and all...then remove the tape and thread through the linkage...usually works pretty smooth with no wires unraveling...

5. If you use a die grinder with a thin abrasive cutoff wheel, it kind of grinds and "melts" through the wire and cuts it pretty clean. Wrap it with tape first.

The solder sounds like it might work too, but it might be hard to get solder to wet to the wire if it's made of stainless steel without using a special flux. If the wire is plated regular steel though, then maybe the solder will wet to it easily. You could try it on the scrap end first before you make the real cut.

6. usedall9

usedall9

The solder is almost invisible when done right cause it melts into the cable flush... Also the end wont "crush when ever you go to attach your end.

7. Rusty

Rusty

cut off wheel. or a good set of Klein side cutters work well too

8. Dirk35

Dirk35

Some of you are not reading what he is asking.

He said he already cut the housing (the braided housing), and hopefully he did like you all said and taped it and used a super thin cutoff wheel in the dremel as that works great. Then Im assuming he had no porblem sliding the little aluminum housing over it, or he would have asked that already.

For cutting the cable, just thread it through the housing..............then cut it with a nice new pair of sharp diagonal pliars. It really wint unravel enough that you cannot get the little cable into stainless attachment thingy that holds it with the single little allen head set screw.

Like usedall9 said, you can try soldering it if you like, but its a stainelss cable, and youll have difficulty getting it to take the solder. I can tell you that bicyclists solder their cables before cutting, as do Remote Control hobbyists. It works if you can get it to take the solder, but I didnt do it on mine, and I had no problem.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yer over thinking this..just cut the CABLE with sharp side cutters. easy..clean..done have done this once on my car and have done it for 3 of my friends cars lokar cable..no problem..be sharp it will do the trick

10. Powerband

Powerband

I usually touch the cable to a grinding wheel - zzzt - cut...
    PB

11. When I was a kid way back when I,d just use a good pair of sidecutters and whack it with a hammer. Of course I,d rest the sidecutters on something solid like the concrete floor.Worked great for making bicycle cables to size.By the way...it still works!

12. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

They make a special set of shears for this operation.........anyone who works at a motor cycle shop should be able to help you out.

13. 4woody

4woody

The bicycle shop can also cut it with their special cable cutters.

14. cliff bryan

cliff bryan

I just went through this process a few days ago...I used my dremel tool with a little cutoff wheel...works really well...there are so many uses for a dremel tool...would not be without one.

15. usmile4

usmile4

Yes I have already cut the housing...used tape and the dremel with a cut off wheel and the collar fit back on so that is fine. I might practice with the solder farther up the cable to see if it will take...then cut where I need it.

Thanks for the help.

16. usmile4

usmile4

I tried some solder but it wouldn't stick to the cable...so I just taped it off and used the dremel...worked like a charm.

thanks for the help guys.

Bill