Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cupholders with a bench seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tanof, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Guys,

I got an International P/U with a manual and a bench seat. I would like to get ideas on cupholders for such a truck. I can't put anything on the doors, slamming them would spill the beer. The shifter gets too close to the dash for anything larger that a shot glass. Plastic sucks, especially in a high, dry, hot place like Albuquerque.

Here is an idea I have had for a few months, but do not know how to execute:
    I have two marine cupholders large enough for a super big gulp. I would like to somehow insert them into my bench seat, one behind the other. Is there a way to cut two 4" holes into a vinyl beach seat and somehow secure the vinyl so the cuts won't spread? The seat bottom easily removes and I have access to the bottom to reinforce the material.

The marine cupholder idea works well on my Cataline because the bench seats have fold down arm rests. This truck does not have arm rests.

Thanks.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

works for me

Attached Files:

3. AntiBling

AntiBling

Do a search, there was a whole picture thread of cup holders.

4. LAROKE

LAROKE

Ditto! You beat me to it :cool:

5. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

I did look at the threads about cupholders. None seem to please me, especially the duct tape solution. The tranny hump on my truck is currently covered in tan vinyl and is only three inches from the edge of the bench seat. Dash and door holders look like tacky add ons, I am interested in stealthy cupholders (not $95 billet pieces) or ones that look well integrated into the interior of the truck. I would also like feedback on my idea of cutting a hole into the bench seat.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Put it down on the floor hump, next to the shifter. If it's anything like my '61 Suburban, there is space around the shifter on the hump. You can actually build a complete console like a modern truck, and incorporate a spot for the shifter to come through.

Get some ideas from new trucks.

-Brad

7. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Isnt there a whole social group for interiors and interior ideas? Maybe they can answer your question RE no splitting the vinyl.

8. Just cut a hole in your seat wherever you want one.

9. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

How about not drinkin' and driving......

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I actually did a Google advanced patent search on cupholders, with dates set to wayback...hoped to find something simple and appropriate. Didn't. Research and design work continue. Cupholders are maybe the only improvement in cars in recent decades...

11. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

That's one of the few plus sides of dating a plus size...

[​IMG]

On a serious note, what about molding some recessed vinyl cups directly into the seat?

12. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I have a bench seat that was destined to be trashed, really nice, clean seat....with a fold down armrest that has molded cup holders in it. It looks like a smaller truck like ranger, Dakota, Nissan, etc....it was sitting out at the end of a drive way on trash day, so I picked it up. Its newer, has those plastic channels sewed into the seat fabric that slips over a lip on the frame so the cover can be removed faster than removing hog rings....not sure if I have a pic, and the seat is in storage now......

I'm just happy it has an arm rest, I'm a lazy driver...:p

13. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Molding recessed cups into the seat? How would that work?

Also, I am single and sick of dating, so no plus sized women in the passenger seat.

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I had a '58 Buick I parted out a couple years ago, and it had a drop-down arm rest in the middle of the rear seat back.
    Later, I thought that would have been a great assembly to cut out of that seat and graft into a front bench--with cup holders in the front portion of it.

Those fold-down rear seat arm rests are common in '50s Buicks, Cads and later cars up into the '70s, at least.

-Brad

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

get one of those hard hats with the cupholders and long straws coming down from above.

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

I miss dating alot.

17. SixFive

SixFive

Best idea yet!

You drink so much coffee, soda, beer whatever while you are driving that you want to cut not 1 but 2 holes in your seat just to have a place to put your drink?

Cutting a hole in the seat for a cup holder will only end in a ruined seat and a spilled drink. Unless it was incorporated into the seat when it was trimmed it's just gonna look like crap.

18. scrubba

scrubba

Wow, funny this subject even came up. Snack trays are what brought me into the Custom Van accessory manufacturing business back in 1975. I made a few custom one offs for some cars . I never did too well with them though. However for Chevrolet and Ford trucks , I had two custom fitted affairs that were contured to fit their respective humps . Both had a storage box for the then ever popular 8 track tape collection . The tops were fitted for four holes , two coffee mugs and two slightly larger to accomodate the rubber can holders of the day which were just being introduced . I was probably the first to do a notched out cup holder as I drank and still do have my favorite coffee mugs in the truck . Yes old Vanners , Scrubba is still alive kinda well, ( Health ) and still lookin at yer ole lady ! scrubba ;)

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They sell units similar to this at just about anywhere truck and car goodies are sold.
    http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Consoles/consoles.htm

From reading his post above I think Scrubba may have had a hand in inventing the concept.

Years ago I made a cup holder out of wood that sits in front of the shifter in in the 48 but it isn't very attractive.

20. Dchaz

Dchaz

they sell cupholders for motocycles that clamp onto the handle bars (no idea why you need on a bike ). Mount a pieces or 1" or 1 1/4 tubing to the bottom of the seat or floor and clamp them there. This one came off a harley i bought last year

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  21. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Just go down to the bone yard and pull one out of an old 32 Ford they made 1,0000s of them. Also grab the CD player while your there. WTF

22. I don't know why exactly, but this is actually an amusing thread...or maybe it's just me.

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

some late model cars have a cupholder that slides out of a frame, I put one in my off topic project, but it's operated by a hydraulic cyl running on vacuum, it's mounted to the frame under the seat and slides out with the seat, you don't have to go that elaborate, but you could just mount it to the bottom of the seat and pull it out manually, Honda,toyota, lots of minivans have them built in, the entire cupholder slides flush into a frame. I'm not much into cupholders, but it's nice to have a place to put your can of soda, and not having it spill, especially since I don't have AC and it gets really hot here.

24. 19wayfarer50

19wayfarer50

beat me to it LOL:D this really works good and who cant use a roll of duct tape kicking around

25. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Shifter prevents use of the bench seat console thing. I got to double check how much room I have just in front of the seat to add the slide into the bottom of the seat thingamajig.

No A/C and very dry air create the need for a refreshment in my truck while driving around town.

26. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

How about these? They're easy to remove & install, and the loop can be mounted on the lower edge of the dash so it's not really seen...I know, shameless plug, (I manufacture these), but it does work really well, looks OK, and is easily stashed when not in use & they come in Black, Dark Brown, Tan & Natural Russet...More info here:

http://www.hotrodleather.com/index.php/accessories/hot-rod-cup-holder.html

Eric

Attached Files:

27. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Pic! 1990 Chevy Pickups Had A Tray That Slid Out Neat cup holder It mounted to btm of dash but could really mount anywhere ck & see if you can find info! 1990 Silverado Cup holder! Bill

28. sawzall

sawzall

[​IMG]

from hot rods and custom stuff site.

[​IMG]

29. Let try and keep this focused on TRADITIONAL cup holders! WTF I used to read everything on the HAMB everyday. Those days are long gone. I'm outta here...

30. newrider3

newrider3