Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Correct period alternative to Firestone Bias Ply??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, May 20, 2015.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Getting ready to buy tires for my coupe. Have tried to get everything right to maintain the look. Firestones bias seem to be the tire of choice but not all reviews are good. Out of balance etc... Starting off with a bias we need all the help we can get to start off. Is there another brand that would have the look? Looked at the Coker Excelsiors. Not really sold on those especially with them costing so much.
    looking for pics and opinions.

Thanks

2. A Boner

A Boner

How about some Montgomery Wards Riverside tires.

3. ev88f

ev88f

Have you checked out towel city tires yet?

4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Truing bias ply or any type of tire for that matter will be a benefit. Any tire truers in your area?

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Anything else but ....

6. harleycontractor- like your co-pilot-

7. squirrel

squirrel

I put some Coker repop BF Goodrich Silvertown 6.00x15 tires on the front of my Chevy II. They didn't take much weight to balance. They are a bit squirrely, but that might just be the fun suspension setup on the car (although it drove fine with radials). ymmv

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I must be a lucky man.. I've had at least a dozen sets of bias-plys from Coker over the years and have done nothing but mount them and drive with no problems.. I don't know what I am doing wrong.. I've had more problems with Coker service than their tires...

Stogy likes this.
  9. I am running Coker Firestones on both my Coupe and Roadster and have not had any issues. Used my Alliance code for a nice discount as well.
    Stray Dog Coupe Roadster 029.JPG Stray Dog Coupe Roadster 027.JPG

flatheadtommy and Stogy like this.
  10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Just bought a set of 7.00x17 Firestones. Haven't run or balanced them yet.

[​IMG]

Would have liked radials, but the 6.00-6.50s were too small and the 7.00-7.50s were too big. Here is a 6.00-6.50 Excelsior.

[​IMG]

11. A Boner

A Boner

Has Coker upped their game as of late? Doesn't seem to be much complaining lately. Way, way less than a few years ago.

12. Its a radial but check out Excelsior brand, Stahl Sport. Seen a bunch of cars running them lately.

13. walter

walter

Dunlap Speed rated and very true

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have 4 cars with Coker bias plies and have never had any issues at all. I must be doing something wrong too as I can drive 70 with one finger on the steering wheel

Stogy likes this.
  15. As these guys stated,I too have had a few sets of Coker bias-plys and never experienced any problems. HRP

Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  16. daliant

daliant

I have Universal bias plys on the front of my Plymouth and I'm very happy with them, they ride nice look good and were cheaper than Firestones and Coker. I've had them up to about 100 mph without any issues. 100_1374.jpg

17. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Dropped off my rims yesterday to get blasted. Leaning towards the Firestones. Ordering tires this week

18. logride

logride
    from CB IA

image.jpg I have the Coker bias look radials and was gun shy on ordering them.

I have driven them over 1000 miles and would do it over. Very little weight to balance, ride great. The bias ply guys think they look under inflated when at 32 psi. They do look like bias plys.

My only complaint is the price, but I have that one on my daily driver too.

19. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I just got a set of the american classic. They have a neat mid 50s look . I will give them a try. I like the way they look, i'm typically against radials on anything other than 60s and up so this is a first.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dan31 likes this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have Firestones on all my cars and to add to the positive.......Never had any issues.....

Moriarity and hrm2k like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That Plymouth is Bad-ass Dude......

22. daliant

daliant

Thanks man.

23. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, 4 sets of Coker bought Firestone bias big'n'littles over a period of 15 + years and no complaints.

Moriarity likes this.