Register now to get rid of these ads!

cleco vs panel clamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrjynx, Apr 21, 2010.

1. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Is there a difference in how cleco`s and panel clamps work? or are they the same thing? do they give you the same gap betwen panels. ones expensive and ones cheap.

2. 383 240z

383 240z

Cleco's mount thru a small hole (1/8") and overlap panels, or to mount a panel to the substructure, The panel clamps set the gap between a repair panel and the original panel, if your doing a resto I would invest in both. Keith

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree! both are great to have! If youre just doing some patch panels, make some panel clamps. There is a feature in the tech section on how to make them for cheap. They are worth it. I made a bunch for less than $5.

Clecos

[​IMG]

Panel clamps

[​IMG]

4. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Oh so you cant use clecos in the same way, to butt joint two sheets together. they would have to overlap. and then you would have to drill holes, like a rivet?

5. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Those butt weld clamps set the gap just right for welding 1/4" plate : ) A gap like that in sheet metal makes for more work, and a longer job than a perfectly tight fit.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

6. V8Mongrel

V8Mongrel
    from Apex, NC

Yes. IIRC, clecos were originally designed for use in the aircraft industry where riveted panel joints are common. If you have a line of rivets, you can put clecos in one hole and still reposition the two pieces if the other holes aren't lined up properly. A good rivet job (which is what one hopes is what you will find in aircraft work) is tight enough that won't be able to easily move the two pieces independently.

Also, clecos allows for pieces to be put in place and clearance checked without having to drill our rivets or loosen threaded fasteners.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct! They are for overlapping panels, primarily used when rivets will be set. They are not for butting two panels together. There has to be an overlapping joint. Think of them as hole alignment pins.

I think you will find the panel clamps to be (in most cases) way more useful, unless you plan on riveting some panels.

EDIT: Sorry about the repeat. Looks like everyone else replied at the same time.

8. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Thank you very much for the help guys! that was exactly what I wanted to know. Now I know what to buy.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Clecos are just temporary rivets.................

11. oj

oj

You might want to reread what John Kelly wrote before you spend a bunch of money.

12. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED