Register now to get rid of these ads!

Classic & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot 'n Kustom, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

One of my favorite car magazines was Classic & Custom, published 1980-85 by Rogelio Cevallos.

It hit the stands just as the Kustoms were being reborn. It published pics of the early KKOA and Lead East, and West Coast Customs meets. Coverage included customs, street rods, and a few stockers; but the customs really stood out.

It was one of the few to publish car pictures full-page, ninety degrees to normal, so the the pics were big and oriented to show off the cars best. For some reason, other magazines have shunned this format.

C&C always suffered from poor spelling and grammar, but its heart was in the right place.

There was a brief re-birth of Classic & Custom in the nineties. I have two issues from '96 and two from '97. Anyone know if there were any others?

Those issues were OK, but some of the pictures were distorted by computer-photo software. Still, I wish it had survived.

The photo below is one of my favorite covers. The blue deuce knocked me out when I saw it on the cover, and even more so at Lead East a few weeks later. It was first trad-style I had seen in many years. It still looks good to me today.

Dave

2. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I have a few of those mags.
    your right, it was a cool mag.

I miss it.

I need to dig them out and give 'em a look.

3. Pissed me off at about that time, early 80's. Every time a good new mag came out, it folded.

That was the start of KKOA and customs were reborn.-MIKE:cool: :D

4. alchemy

alchemy

C&C was the first mag to ever publish a pic of a car from my family. Lee Pratt wrote an article on our local run, and it was like we were famous. At least to a 13 year old.

I remember reading that copy with the blue 3-window over and over. That car is probably one of the main reasons I build nostalgic cars today.

- alchemy

5. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

.........I don't think I have the newer ones, but I have the complete collection on the 80's ones. Larry Minor of the KKOA bought out all of their back issues when they went down and sold "sets." I was fortunate enough to get one.
    If you need any information, ask Anthony White "00Mack". HE has more information on Kustoms than those magazines............

6. One excellent magazine back then!

I used to buy 'em as soon as they hit a very well stocked newsstand here in Chicago. I then got a subscription till it went out. Looking back it was ahead of it's time. Truly a gem.

Joel :)

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Those are the best mags ever in my opinion!

Joel- We need to talk,,,I havent forgotten....

Dirty

8. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

We have everyone of those!!! Rogelo traveled around with the KKOA shows and several others during the summer of 80's he really tried hard to promote it again, we signed up and got just two issues and then it folded again. Its too bad he was a really nice guy and really worked hard to push it since he had lost with the other attempt :(
    I wonder how many subscribers he had from the early ones? Most of the people we mention them too aren't even aware of them.

Skate that would be Gary Minor who purchased the lot. Great guy!!!

9. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

............DUH! I knew that......sorry. I guess old age is creeping up on me? GARY was a really cool guy. He used to buy nice, rust free cars out west and then drive them to the east coast and deliver them. He brought a beautiful '59 El Camino to Slead Scene East one year....... Thanks!

10. haha hey happy let me see a couple them mags to give me some ideals

11. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

I know where that blue deuce 3 window sits, rotting away OUTSIDE with no cover! Louie

12. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I forgot to mention that I have a "Want-to-trade" for Classic & Custom in the Classified section. I am looking for Vol 3 #4. I believe that it may be the issue under the one with the yellow Merc in Joel's post.

Dave

13. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Maybe we should organize a rescue team!
    That was one beautiful car.
    Dave

14. 00 MACK

00 MACK

When I was 14 the late Harold Olsen from California.9who owned the Rod Powell painted 54 Buick hardtop that was built by Vern Lacey and Joe Wilhelm as well as the famous chopped 46 Chevt fastback hardtop that ended up on the east) twisted Minors arm into giving me a box set of all those magazines, many of which I already had. When I thanked Harold he said that he made money on me already after a bet that he made on whether or not I could answer a question about what was done to the Dave Bugarin Merc in its second configuration. The guy used to ask me questions and then just crack up when I answered them correctly

15. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Just for the fun of it I pulled out all our issues. Vol 1 #1 was 1.50!!!!! LOL I can see no dates on it but the rest of vol 1 issues 2,3 and 4 are from 1980.

Looks like the last issue we have is from 1984, september Vol 5 # 5 unless some are misplaced that was it.

then for the comeback (there were actually more than I remembered) There were actually 4!!! Vol 6 #1 , 2 and vol 7 # 1 and 2

Dave the issue you need is not the one with the yellow merc it is actually the one shown underneath that one. Has a flamed 51 ford on it only shows the engine compartment though. Sorry Rob won't part with these mags. But If your looking for something I can copy and mail it to you.
    Debb

well duh!! I see that you knew it was the one under it now, LOL See skate we all do it!!!

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking to complete my collection of C&C.
    I have never read that issue, so when I find it, it will be completely new to me. I collect old car magazines going back to the early fifties. I hope to have complete runs of many of the custom magazines, big and small when I am done.

Dave

17. RCPromotions

RCPromotions

Hi

I am still here and trying to do all of this again. I had to stop due to some issues that I will go into later once I am able to disclose it in my bio. Give me a call 408 202-0572. I have the issue your asking for.

Rogelio

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The project 50 that Lee was building was discovered last year in Des Moines. It was at an indoor car show. My dad bought a boxed set at the Springfield Illinois show. Good luck and welcome back.

19. Greezeball

Greezeball

If you could bring it back that would be fantastic. The magazine is one major reason I fell in love with customs. One car that really did it for me was a 49 Ford Business coupe black, nosed and decked, hood full of louvers, really wide whites with sombreros, white tuck 'n' roll and a chrome dash. Car was unreal. I still have that issue I'll have to dig it up.

20. i dont think ive ever seen an issue ,maybe i have just dont remember

what year cars are the typical cars covered ?

i think the mag world is in need of more mid 50's-mid 60's subjects

21. fat141

fat141

Just bought vol. 2 #1and2 off ebay .........$5 each good mag about 30 of them on ebay now.
    Rod

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010