Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping Model A Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jun 1, 2008.

1. concreteman

concreteman

Looking for ideas on how to chop a sport coupe and how much would look good ,I am thinking 4''-5'' wedge still using the vinal top and oringal inside ribs

Attached Files:

2. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Cleaned this up... a lot. Thanks for the thoughtful reply mazdaslam. Good luck with the chop.

4. damnfingers

damnfingers

Not that I'm against chopping the top on this (although it's a great looking car as it is) couldn't you find one that's in worse shape to work your magic on?

5. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Well anyway,:D........
    Good luck with the "Sport Coupe" I like your taste, I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Welcome to the H.A.M.B "concreteman".....

6. concreteman

concreteman

Thank you I love the old Hot Rods and all the info I can learn on this site

7. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I've got a '29 Sport Coupe that's been chopped 3 inches. It still uses all the original wood bows, metal braces, liners and factory pattern top though obviously modified where required.

[​IMG]

8. concreteman

concreteman

G Inspector
    Way too cool ,just what I was looking for ,very nice job do you have any more picture's or ideas you can share
    Conman

9. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

As I said mine is chopped 3 inches, no wedge, same front and back. When it came to the chop, the A and B posts, along with the door frames were the obvious ones and were shortened 3 inches. The others to watch for are the belt to No 2 bow straps, the No 2 bow and the No 2 bow to B post straps. After it was stripped down and the metalwork finished I started by fitting all the wood with the exception of the No 2 bow, the wood in the B posts will have to be shortened at this point. The rear straps were straightforward and had to be shortened the 3 inches, they were then put in place, making sure that they were square. After that I mocked the main bow in place, securing it to the straps and that was then shortened at the point it meets the triangular brackets at the base of the B post. Once that was the right length and shape, (fairly basic woodworking) the remaining straps were altered accordingly. It was a straightforward operation, just remember to measure everything twice and cut once. The body is pretty flimsy without the bows so you may want to brace it in some way though I never as my car was built from parts rather than a complete car.

I had the top covered professionally though I did aid and abet where I could. If you're using the correct cardboard fillers the rear ones have to be altered, the same with the top fabric if you're going to use original patterns. If you are going to reuse the top you have then the rear window flap will have to be remade to position the window correctly. If you're ordering a top from a supplier rather than having it custom made then specify that you want the rear flap without the window cut out. Be very firm as mine still arrived with a nasty plastic window and I still had to have it made from scratch.

It's a fairly simple operation but one that would be easy to get wrong. Just take your time and make sure everything remains square as you go.

A great book to look out for is "How To restore Your Model A Volume 5" from The Restorer, it has a fairly comprehensive chapter on Sport Coupe tops, certainly worth getting before you start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  10. art.resi

art.resi

2nd that emotion.

11. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Boring,........ cut it up

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Is that your Coupe in yer avitar ?

If it is, You didnt look very hard for a Chopped Sports Coupe at Santa Maria.

Cus mine was parked within shouting distance of that Coupe, Thought mine still has no top yet... It is a 6" choped Sports Coupe.

You May have Heard mine, As it sounds like a Hot Hemi should.

13. concreteman

concreteman

Yes thats my Coupe ,I cant believe I did not see your car ,I must be getting old and near sited ,and a Hemi also ,I AM BLIND SORRY ,do you have any ideas or pictures to share
    Thanks

14. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain about the chop on your Sport coupe and the pictures are great ,the car I am starting with is very clean ,I hope to take my time and hope it turns out as nice as your's
    Thanks again you have a great looking car

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Ill tell ya, Those pics look like its a nice car..

My input would be to build it in a VERY traditional way & retain the fenders, Flathead running gear including a closed drive rear, Dropped axle, drum brakes & '49 Merc wheels & caps.

With a Squared chop, Not wedged or slant or whatever people are calling it.. Lower the middle wood over your head to eliminate the tall point in the middle of the top.

Fuck all the new wave upgrades like Disc's & open drive 9"

Build it like it would have been done in about 1951..

There are plenty of Old looking cars with new drive trains, Build a real nice period car.

16. concreteman

concreteman

Your a man after my own heart I can't agree more ,I want a tradition hot rod and the 1951 era is great ,I am going to start with a 4'' drop and drum brakes ,full fender's ,thinking of using the banger with speed equipment and a 39 trans with a 4'' chop and original vinyl top and bows
    Its got to be OLD SCHOOL period correct
    Thanks for the ideas do you have any pictures of your Sport Coupe to share

17. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I sent you some in E~Mail as i am computor illiterate and cant post here :rolleyes:

18. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Meant to post this picture of the Joe Mac car before. Look out for a copy of Rod & Custom from May 1970 for a full feature on it. Chopped just 2 inches in case you're wondering. Makes me wanna put fenders on mine.

[​IMG]

19. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I just chopped my 31 pick up 5 inches and I love the look it gave it. I think your chop will look good. Can't wait to see it .