Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical chopping a top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideswipe, May 29, 2015.

1. sideswipe

sideswipe

got a question about overlapping sheet metal. I'm putting a sedan window in a 51 Victoria. what is the max amount of sheet metal can you overlap? thank you for any input.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I wouldn't overlap at all, butt weld the panel entirely. Use Clecos or long vice grips to secure and scribe a cut line. Use panel clamps in the gap and tack weld into place before fully welding. Be careful and do short welds, hammer up to shrink. Move around otherwise you will put too much heat into panel and distort the turret and filler panel.

3. Why not butt-weld the sheet metal instead of lapping it?

Butt-welds take a little more up-front work to achieve good fitment and care while welding to prevent blow through, but the benefit is a much better product and you'll be able to work the metal afterwards (less grinding & bondo).

If you do decide to lap weld sheet metal, I wouldn't overlap more than ~1/2" and I'd definitely spray both surfaces with weld-through primer (to postpone the inevitable rust) before welding.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. sideswipe

sideswipe

thank you for your advice. I thought butt welding would be the route. I've been trimming the new window down to mate with the top. more needs to come off above the window. I just wanted some sure advice before I went to far. i'll post a pic tomorrow. thank again

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

This is a rear 1/4 panel I "repaired". DSCN1842.JPG Cut the piece going in big , overlap it , fasten the overlap with self tapping sheet metal screws ( 7/16 framing screws) . Then with an angle grinder with a thin kerf disc, follow the outside cut in between the screws. Tack weld it , and work the seam as you tack every 2-3". When it's all stitched together, take the screws out and weld up the holes. I'm no body man, but it came out pretty nice ( sorry no pics of the finished product- sold the car). Good luck with it whatever your approach.

Attached Files:

7. The above advice is correct. The reason we do that is, finish work. You cannot metal work a lapped panel. If you have a low spot in the top panel your not able to lift it properly by beating on the inner panel. Also you can't paint between the 2 pieces and rust will soon brake out right at your weld seam. There are other issues also but you get the idea, right?
    The Wizzard

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Overlapped panels that are lapwelded sometimes shadow through the finished paint job. Butt/hammer welded is the best method.

9. sideswipe

sideswipe

the current project DSCF4024.JPG