Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy 350 small block diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr818, Dec 14, 2010.

1. mr818

mr818
    from svf

well guys i,m installing a 350 on my shoebox and i don't know much about engines so. i was wondering if any has or knows were i can get a diagram of all the parts i need to get the engine running. like alternator, fan clutch etc.
    thanks

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

cheapest and easiest way is to get a donor car, then you know the pulleys match the balancer and water pump. there are too many different combinations to list here.

3. mr818

mr818
    from svf

got a new engine out of the box!!

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

certain brackets are needed for the alternator, depending on which heads you have, which water pump you're using (short or long). If this is your first foray into engine-swapping, find a chev with the same engine you have (friend/neighbor/cooperative stranger) and take some pictures and notes. Vacuum lines, throttle linkage, kickdown linkage (if you're using an automatic trans) will largely depend on what carburetor and distributor you use. HEIs work fairly well, if you understand how to hook them up to your electrical system. You'll need to convert your electrical over to 12V negative ground - you can use the old gauges but you'll have to either buy a 'step-down' resistor, or use two 6V batteries in series to add up to 12V for starter, headlights etc and then you can tap off of the 6V for your dash gauges that are the lower voltage rating. Most of us just convert everything using aftermarket meters, and if you're working with a good budget, there are companies that make 12V gauges that will fit your dashboard. Pretty much all GM fan clutches use the same 4bolt mounting template. You might want to consider upgrading your radiator to something a little heavier duty. I had a couple of shoeboxes in HS with a Cad and a Hemi in each, and overheating during the summer was a problem...cured with a 50 Chrysler passenger car radiator - but there were a lot more of those in the wrecking yards back then, and they were about five bucks. There are other items to consider, but I'll leave those suggestions to subsequent members. Don't forget...bookstores can be your friends - tons of books have been written on engine-swapping, what-fits-what, etc.

Best of luck - you likely won't have any difficulties that a hundred of us in here haven't already dealt with and solved in one way or another.

dj

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

ok, does it need a bronze distributor gear? does it take a small or large balancer? does it need an internal or external balance? is it a 1 piece or 2 piece rear seal? does it take perimeter or center bolt valve covers? does it need an intake? what transmission are you running? what starter will it need?

All this adds up. donor cars are cheap. I got a 350/700r4 out of a suburban, and sold the shell basically getting me all the parts free.

6. indyjps

indyjps

decide if you want short or long water pump. I think 1969 was the change over year. water pump length depends on your clearance to radiator, not sure what works on shoeboxes best.
    Water pump length will determine what set of brackets you need. If you dont have an alternator consider using a late model if you can take the way it looks, you'll get much better performance, many companies sell the kit to upgrade. if not a late model use an internally regulated, dont know what year they changed over but its mid 70's about the time HEI started.

find a 305 thats fully dressed, theyre usually priced low enough to make it worth buying for brackets

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

later 305s are externally balance though. we need more info.

8. mr818

mr818
    from svf

im running a short water pump and yes it has an external balance

9. mr818

mr818
    from svf

and a HEI distributor

10. what year is the engine?

11. mr818

mr818
    from svf

12. then it will have a 2 piece rear seal and it is INTERNALLY balanced...meaning the flywheel/flexplate are neutral balanced. one piece rear seal SBCs are externally balanced and the the flywheel has a counterbalance to make up for a lack of a counterweight on the crankshaft

a 350 in a shoebox ford you will need a short waterpump and the correct pulleys

13. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

i just rebuilt a 74 small block 350, it was my first engine.
    a master mechanic at work watched over me to make sure i didnt screw anything up/
    i cant wait to hear it run.
    [​IMG]

14. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

This is all correct info. I would find a used engine to rob all of the bracketry from. I believe most pre-69 small block chevy passenger cars used the short water pump. So look for a junk motor that has all the original brackets in place.