Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car and driver magizne... Scam and Fake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rotten johnny, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think it would be cool to have my car in a magazine like that... if course my cars are all slow.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Used to be an old saying, "A photograph doesn't lie"...not so these days...

R-

3. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

4. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Ding, ding ding! Noticed that right away, what a phony photoshop jub!

5. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Exactly!

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Which could be exactly what they want...

A lot of free advertising for that soccermom mobile.

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

8. BigChief

BigChief

Geezussss!! Lighten the F up. If you read the entire article (and comprehend it well) you'll note the sarcasm oozing throughout it. Other than the fact that that particular car is an experimental unit, they gave specs on it and took it to a local track an it clicked off 12's in the quarter the article is mostly tougue and cheek. No where in the article did they say the car beat anything other that it ran quicker than some other Porsche SUV.

The image of your car racing the BMW was **obviously** photoshopped and, no doubt, this is part of the sarcastic nature of the article. EVERYBODY knows that the X6 isn't going to blow off a real race car (like yours or the Anglia)....its part of the joke and your making yourself look like a fool for getting all wound up about nothing. It wasn't an ad for BMW and it wasn't a slam against GM this was a short article on new whiz-bang grocery getter that gets it done faster than a lesser model, big F'n deal. 40 percent of C+D readers and 70% of the BMW owners probably don't even know what your car is (or started out as) and 99% of them are certain at first glance that your car can kicks its car's ass in a drag race.

I can certainly see your sense of pride and patriotism and I've seen what imports can do to the industries here in the US - I work for a GM supplier and I come from two generations of family working in the steel mills, so I understand your anger....but its unfounded this time - nobody was defrauding anything here. Anybody with 1/2 a brain can see that the article depicted some technical results in a humorus/sarcastic way, there's nothing that detracts from your car or the American auto industry in this article anywhere. You can't tell from that pic who "won" the race, right? Besides, I'm sure you've seen plenty of old american iron loose drag races to imported cars at the digs....so THAT happens all the time, its nothing new. Fastest car to the finish line wins......best cars across the showroom floors sell. Its that simple. The US auto manufacturers are doing quite well in quality and doing better at improving sales and the chinks in the armour of the mighty untouchable Toyota/Honda/Benz's of the world (car rags always give them a preferential nod) are starting to show up. Credit for where credit is due is coming (slowly).....be patient and spend your time/energy racing your awesome Chevy II instead of ranting and raving about nothing.

Besides, DUDE! You got your car in a magazine!

9. the beemer is an ugly fuckin abortion anyway!

10. SloW8

SloW8
    from Utah - USA

Car and Driver is no longer an American company. It is owned by the French. That may help explain a lot.

Seems pretty low to use your car pic without your permission especially when it shows circumstances that cast negative light on your amazing ride.

This is my first post here. I saw a link to this forum in regards to the billet Kirkham and signed up yesterday, then I saw the link about this on Jalopnik. I am hoping to learn a lot from the folks around here.

11. You are emotionally distressed,you cannot work because of this,and all your other projects are falling behind because you can't function!=ATTORNEY! LET EM'HAVE IT! BTW-My $ is on the duece!

12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Well, the "waiver" can say anything it wants this doesn't mean it's in it's rights and that they are absolutely 100% right in all cases. i've never seen a waiver at a drag strip(not saying the clause doesn't exist) that says they can use you/your car for publicity.

i still think the nova owner has some legal precident in this case. Unless there's more to the story......

13. silent rick

silent rick

keep linking these threads to other sites and we'll have 100,000 members before the end of the month.

14. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Another great band name that isn't being used.

15. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

It's pronounced "Chobba Chedda."

16. why are there so many people posting on this thread with only 1 post????
    somethin's fishy

17. Ramblur

Ramblur

C&D pimping another bimmer at a Hambers expense? Hey, bring it! Look
    they showed up on our side of the tracks for this BS so I'm sure nobodies
    going to be too upset when they get their teeth kicked in...(figuratively):D

18. turdytoo

turdytoo

Give them credit for getting part of their rag on the Hamb, it probably doubled their reader numbers.

19. RodStRace

RodStRace

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    They lied.
    No way you are going to get a penny, but I'd hold out for more than the retraction in #2 font just underneath the legal circulation BS they are required to put in.
    Maybe ask for a year's worth of passes to every event they attend. Do your own bucket list tour on them!
    Be included as a driver in the next comparison test, and roll one of the new POS they borrowed!
    Require the Editor-in-Chief and the writer to submit to a photoshoot for Gay Times (not that there is anything wrong with that).

20. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

My thoughts exactly.

21. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Tell 'em you will race that thing for pink slips. You can sell it and build a couple of real cars!

22. Seems to me the problem isn't the use of the likeness of his car...its the gross misrepresentation of said likeness.

As I understand it, if you or your property can be photographed without trespassing on private property (within reason), then the likeness belongs to the photographer. However, manipulating the image for publicity or just plain ol' meanness just seems wrong.

Sure, its just a car...but imagine if someone took a photo of something precious to you (maybe your wife or children) and manipulated the image for their own personal gain...would you not be pissed?

23. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

i agree that you won't get anything out of this besides a retraction (and that's if you're lucky), but that doesn't mean you're wrong to be upset about it. I know i would be, and my car probably would get smoked by that ugly piece of scheibe.

the point is, they are showing pictures of something that NEVER HAPPENED. I don't know what I'd call that, but it's not journalism. Makes me wonder how much of what they print is true.

24. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wheh... Read this all the way to here and am all worn out!

NICE Chevy II though!!!

25. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

Lets tie him behind the car and drag him

26. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Things like this are why we have the HAMB.

Right?

-W

27. F&J

F&J

Alrighty, hurt em on Google searches !!! It shows up bigtime on a google search for: "car and driver fake" :eek::cool::D
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=car+and+driver+fake&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

...but if you REALLY want attention, get the Mods to change the title of this thread to " car and driver BMW faked review "...you then would get BMW corp's attention as many people must type in "car and driver bmw review" if they are looking for buyers info tests.

Use the internet search engines to make them wish they never had a pic of your car.
    This fiasco is going to cost them in lost respect and lost subscribers. No fooling

28. rooman

rooman

Lets forget all the hysteria and go back to the start. Johnny was pissed off because he felt that the story or picture did him wrong.

HOW?

There is no mention in the story of the BMW beating anything on the strip that day. The fake photo shows the BMW maybe a little ahead of the Nova off the line but nowhere in the story does it say that Johnny got hosed. In fact the story does not even mention Johnny's car, just the Anglia that they ran against (and lost to).
    As mentioned in one of the other (few) rational posts the whole deal with taking the SUV to the track was that it was out of place, the proverbial "fish out of water".
    If anyone takes the time to read the entire story they will find that it was very tongue in cheek as was also mentioned in another post. I have met some of the Car and Driver staff over the years and to this day the magazine still follows the mandate of its founder Davis E Davis, "fuck em if they can't take a joke."
    Remember this is the same magazine that in the early days of its existence had the temerity to compare a Pontiac GTO to the legendary Ferrari GTO and later follow up with a Ferrari 2+2/ Pontiac 2+2 comparo. Those deals provoked much the same reaction as we have here but with much more basis in fact that Johnny's percieved slight.
    I have been reading the magazine for 45 years now and being smart arses is their stock in trade. If the word of the paranoia on the HAMB gets back to them I will guarantee that it will keep them laughing for a long time.

Roo

29. So it would be okay to take a photo of your wife and photoshop her in a less than complimentary fashion and publish it? As long as the magazine editors get a laugh, I guess that would be cool by you.

There are some things that are just wrong, Hoss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.