Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can an F1 Truck steering box be reversed? What parts do I need?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark T, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Mark T

Mark T

I know they do it with other brand steering boxes, just wondering if it can be done to the Ford pickup box from the early 50's.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. TOWMAN

TOWMAN

what steering set up are u doin? i didnt think u had 2 reverse that for cowl steering, but anyways u should b able 2 reverse anything

3. Mark T

Mark T

I want to use it in my Model A Roadster build but I want the pitman arm to point straight up rather then hanging down.

4. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Interesting, never thought of that, but it seems feezible.

5. Mark T

Mark T

I'm basically trying to duplicate the steering on this car. You can see in the picture that the pitman arm is facing straight up.

Attached Files:

6. butch27

butch27

An unmodified Corvair will do THAT.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A 60-65 Falcon/Comet, 64-70 Mustang, 70-74 Maverick/Comet box mounted under the frame will do it too.

8. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

Put F-100 sector and screw in it.. it will turn the other way... Don`t ask me how i found out... Should have had the look of my face on tape.. :)

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I take it you mean "put F-100 sector in F-1 box"?

10. Mark T

Mark T

I thought the F1 and the F100 turn in the same direction?

11. banjorear

banjorear

I believe and I AM NOT 100%, but if you take the guts from a fat fendered Ford and put them in the F-1 case it will do what you want.

To confirm, get a hold of a fat fender side steer box. Hold it on it's side with the pitman arm facing outward instead of down. You'll see the pitman arm will being making the correct movement for what want to do.

These guts fit into an F-1 case.

Good luck.

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

that looks like a cross steer box on it's side

I would expect bump steer with a setup like that

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

mustang and corvair boxes have been used like this for a long time. could even use an early ford box. seems to work just fine.

14. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

You should use a 36 box. I believe thats whats in that roadster. They can be mounted like that and still turn the correct way. Just saw this application done on a friends car

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. Mark T

Mark T

Why do you think it would have bump steer? The steering arm and the split wishbones would be parallel.

16. Mark T

Mark T

I have 3 or 4 F1 and early F100 boxes, just thought I would use what I have.

17. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

You cant use that box. It wont work. Your steering will be backwards. 36 you can use. and bump steer shouldnt e a problem as long as the ergonomics are correct.

18. It would bumpsteer because they are parallel. Both the drag link and the wish bone should pivot from the same point.

The axle and steering arm move as a fixed unit. The split wishbone and the drag link are pivoting from different points, the only way this would work is if you ran a parallel four bar to prevent the axle from swinging in an arc.

19. 117harv

117harv

1960-67 chevy trucks, i could be off a year or so either way, but there are severall years in a row that use the same box, they are small and have the pitman arm pointing up, a local builder uses them all the time.

20. Mark T

Mark T

What about all the cars with cowl steering, are they having trouble with bump steer?

21. Mark T

Mark T

Thats why I'm looking to reverse it.

22. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Dont think you can..could be wrong.

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You can't just pigeon hole each style of draglink steering as either having or not having bumpsteer.
    The length of a cowl steer draglink compared to the length of a normal position box draglink means that the arc scribed by the long cowl steer draglink would be much less than that of a short draglink.
    It comes down to arm length and suspension movement...and thats all variable.

The ultimate cure would be to have the draglink scribe the exact same arc as the suspension at any point of movement and thats exactly what ElPolacko describes.
    It's done differently with split bones/radius arms/hairpins than it is with parallel 4 bars, so what might be perfect for one style might be a problem for the other.

24. NealinCA

NealinCA

You can not reverse the F-1 box. A 37-48 Ford side steer box on it's side will do what you want. I've seen a number of cars set up this way...including Tom Branch's roadster.

Neal

25. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

[​IMG]
    This is a 39 Ford box in a 34 Truck frame. Worked great. Cut off one mounting hole, and lust used the two.

Rob

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Oh...forgot to mention...the split window VW bus steering box will work with an upward pitman arm, looks good and comes with a really nice frame bracket.

Heres a pic that was originally posted by "Bloodyjack".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  27. Mark T

Mark T

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

actually you could reverse an f-1 box, basically the same procedure as reversing a corvair .. but the box you would be looking for as already mentioned 37-48 passenger box.. the sector gear and the worm are the same parts used in the f-1 steering box..

the comments about would have bump steer are correct.. that being said i have used this said up before without noticeable issues of course normal hot rod wheel travel is about 2" and running bias plys i wouldnt expect much anyway