Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a new fuel pressure regulator go bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetside66, Mar 18, 2010.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'll try to make this short. I have a stock 283 in my new build & I installed a new Edelbrock 500 cfm carb w/ manual choke & a new regular output mechanical fuel pump. When I initially started it, it flooded like crazy. I read a great thread concerning this & installed a new Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator, set it a 4 lbs. & cleaned the plugs & changed the oil. (Yes, I believe the oil smelled gassy). Everything worked just great. It totally cured the problem. The car is not yet legal, but I did drive it up & down the street numerous times during the winter, when the weather moderated. I drove it about about six weeks ago & everything was fine. We had a ton of snow & I only re-started it today. Guess what? Total flooding again, just like before. The carb continues to drip for a minute or so after the motor is turned off. I let it dry out & cleaned the plugs & dialed the regulator to 2 lbs. I restarted it & it still floods. Could this regulator have gone bad? What could have changed in between the last start & this start? It's all new stuff. (P.S. I basically built this car myself, but I am a rotten mechanic.)

2. i've had problems with those carbs in the past, open it up and make sure your floats are set correctly, check both the drop down float level and regular float level setting, also make sure the needle & seat assembly is tight, and the needle is in good shape. i would make sure the carb is dialed in right before you question the regulator, although i think the mr. g regulators suck anyways.

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

The only reason I question the regulator, is that everything was going good until this recent start. If the floats weren't adjusted properly out of the box, why would it run so well for so long after I installed the regulator? Also, when you say the Mr. G regulators suck, I feel there is something I'm missing (seriously). Truthfully, I'd sure prefer trying another regulator before I try jumping into the black hole of adjusting a brand new carb's innards, given my aptitude (or lack thereof). Are the Mr. G regulators noted for acting up?

4. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

NEW just stand's for Never Ever Worked !

5. 1929rats

1929rats

Those dial regulators are junk. They are labeled spectre, Mr Gasket, or whatever...throw it away. Ive bought two brand new ones that didnt work in the past, and chased the problem for hours (like you are now),however, a 500 cfm edelbrock should accept a 6-8 pound regulator with no problem. Do you have a fancy high pressure fuel pump in your car? is it mechanical or electronic?

6. David Chandler

David Chandler

Yes they can go bad. I had one quit after about a hundred miles.

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this the chrome dial kind of regulator? If so, shit can it and get a good one with a gauge no matter what. Your carb problem is one of three thngs:

float stuck or too high.
    Needle not seating. (something stuck in the needle/seat area.)
    Too much pressure on the seat. (bad regulator.)

Remember two things...

Without a good quality fuel pressure gauge, you are pissing in the wind.
    And, "new" is just a word that doesn't nessessarly mean "works properly".

Good luck, -Abone.

Stogy likes this.
  8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Do you have a fuel filter in the line somewhere? If not you are probably getting dirt in the needle/seat that =flood !

Stogy likes this.
  9. not only can they go bad, they can be junk while still new in the box

Stogy likes this.
  10. I had an almost-new one burn my beautiful Avanti in a parking lot.

Have you ever smelled fiberglass burning?

I have also had a brand new electric pump give up the ghost only 5 hours into a trip.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Why are you using a regulator on a mechanical fuel pump?

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, thank you all. I think I have something to go on now. I think I'll start by replacing the regulator. Any suggestions as to one that might actually work? And, yes, I do have inline filters..one coming out of the tank & one at the carb. Again, it is not a high pressure fuel pump..a regular stock job (new).

Stogy likes this.
  13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Please correct me if I'm mistaken...
    As I understand it, Edelbrock carburators are touchy and need to be at 4 lbs pressure, and mechanical fuel pumps are putting out anywhere from 5-8 lbs. of pressure.

Stogy likes this.
  14. fleetside66

fleetside66

Steve, I wish I could find the thread again, but I remember a great number of guys stating that the new Edelbrocks need the fuel pressure dialed down to the range of 4 on sbc's with stock mechanical fuel pumps. The manual says "if the car has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi." I'm reasonably sure that the stock fuel pumps have a higher psi than 5.5. That being said, I have a 600 cfm Edelbrock on a stock 350 that I've been using daily for the last 12 years with no regulator & no problems...go figure.

Stogy likes this.
  15. fleetside66

fleetside66

440..I am greatly appreciative of your advice & it has not gone unheeded. I'm hampered by the fact that I don't have the experience to know what I'm looking for if I opened up the carb. In the entire build, I've only farmed this thing out one time..to have the dizzy dropped in, but it looks like I might have to start throwing money at someone. There's the evil carburetor now!

[​IMG]

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

17. the edge

the edge
    from Arizona

'also make sure the needle & seat assembly is tight, and the needle is in good shape.'

18. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

shavings, dirt, rust, and teflon tape; all things I have personally cleaned out of Carb needle/seats.
    the edelbrocks IMO are not all that sensitive to a fuel pressure, the floats have pretty good leverage in the needles.
    Grab your edelbrock manual, look over the exploded view, they are a pretty simple carb.
    I dont think you will have that much problem inside one.
    I would also dump that regulator... sorry

19. Diavolo

Diavolo

Thanks, Steves32.

You obviously aren't troubleshooting, just like the manufacturer says. Get a gauge and see what your pressure is. Further down the page, it clearly states no more than 6. You are totally wasting your time if you skip this, very important, step.

Never assume.

Q: My carburetor is flooding, what do I check?

A: Carburetor flooding can be cause by the following conditions. First, verify, with a fuel pressure gauge that the pressure does not exceed 6.5 psi. Floats should be set to the factory spec of 7/16, (see owners manual)(download here). Needles & Seats can be clogged with debris, not allowing them to close. They can be cleaned and checked when the float level is being verified. Floats can be sinking due to a leak. Verify floats are free of any fluid by shaking the float, or submersing it in a safe, non flammable fluid.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive got one of those regulators, it was pretty much junk right from the get go.
    it showed on the dial that it was working , and a week later the dial showed it was shit.
    junk it and buy a good one, a bit more $$ but well worth it

Stogy likes this.
  21. fleetside66

fleetside66

So, for closure (hopefully, ha-ha) & for anyone that might be interested, here's what I did & the results. I installed a new Edelberock #1727 fuel pressure regulator with a Marshall gauge. (The hardest part of this was fabbing a bracket to suspend the thing.) I pulled the carb & took it to a long trusted old school mechanic. He took it apart in my presence & did his best to explain it all to me. There was dirt in there, but nothing earth shaking. Truthfully, I'm glad I didn't try it myself. He cleaned everything & he set the floats to the specs in the manual. It did appear that they were out slightly. It cost me a case of beer (not the cheap crap I drink). The gas tank I have is old (1924) & I had it (previously) professionally cleaned & sealed. So, to be extra sure the tank was free of any residual dirt, I topped it off with gas (12 gallons worth) & drained the whole thing. Luckily, Federal-Knight decided to put a drain valve on that tank. Then I changed both of the fuel filters (one just south of the tank & one just north of the regulator). I started it today & it ran very well, with no flooding. The gauge shows 5 psi, which is what I set it at. Thanks to everyone that chimed in on this whole thing. I hope this will serve to help anyone else that is experiencing this problem.

Stogy and mismoloko like this.